Professional Web Applications Themes

Infrared Effect - Adobe Photoshop Elements

Richard, Paul Shipley includes a "Mono Infrared" in his free Elements add-on package. I haven't played with that effect, so don't know if it suits your purposes. Several of the other parts of his package have turned out to be very helpful for me, though. You can find a link to the package on Grant Dixon's Challenge web site. Open one of the topics, here, named Challenge ##, and follow the included link to Grant's site. From there, go to the links page. It's in the "Free Tools" section. (Of course, I could have posted the exact URL here, but ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Infrared Effect

    Richard,

    Paul Shipley includes a "Mono Infrared" in his free Elements add-on package.
    I haven't played with that effect, so don't know if it suits your purposes.
    Several of the other parts of his package have turned out to be very helpful
    for me, though.

    You can find a link to the package on Grant Dixon's Challenge web site.
    Open one of the topics, here, named Challenge ##, and follow the included
    link to Grant's site. From there, go to the links page. It's in the "Free
    Tools" section.

    (Of course, I could have posted the exact URL here, but don't know if that's
    encouraged... besides, you'll find lots of other neat links at Grant's
    page)

    Byron

    Byron Gale Guest

  2. #2

    About infrared: there is an interesting cheap trick to produce infrared images with a digital camera using processed skide film as a filter.
    It can be found at the very informative website of Wim Wiskerke, one of my fellow countrymen.

    <http://www.xs4all.nl/~wiskerke/artikelen/infraroodeng.html>

    If you check out his website, although it is mainly in Dutch, you will find many interesting links and articles. Absolutely worth exploring! A real goldmine for the image maker!

    Leen
    Leen Koper Guest

  3. #3

    Richard,

    Here's one tutorial for achieving a pseudo-infrared b&w effect:
    [url]http://www.leppphoto.com/learn/articles/infrared.htm[/url]

    This is for photoshop and uses the channel mixer and curves but don't let
    that worry you. You can get access the channel mixer from PE using the free
    hidden powers III add-in and you can get access to curves from the free
    Shipley add-in if you don't have the Hidden Powers book add-in.

    This works pretty well on foliage but it doesn't adequately simulate the
    effect of infrared on blue skys. You should be able to simulate that by
    decreasing the blue contribution using the channel mixer.

    Bob

    RobertHJones Guest

  4. #4

    Pete,
    Thank you for your tip, but I tried that a while ago, and it doesn't have the effect of infrared that I'm looking for.I did it one night playing around on PSE2 when it was released; one image was an actual infrared image I took, and the other was the same shot color; and I didn't write down what I did, and now that I need it, I can't re-create it. I will download Shipley's plugins and do it with levels. Thanks again.

    Richard
    Richard Greenwald Guest

  5. #5

    Bob,
    Thanks for your tip on Shipley's plugins, I will download them as soon as I am able.

    Richard
    Richard Greenwald Guest

  6. #6

    "Richard Greenwald" <aregee56comcast.net> wrote in message
    > [...] I did
    > it one night playing around on PSE2 when it was released;
    > one image was an actual infrared image I took, and the other
    > was the same shot color; and I didn't write down what I did,
    > and now that I need it, I can't re-create it.
    Well, keep in mind that the same technique isn't going to work for different
    images. Any of the methods to convert color to grayscale are going to
    depend on what the original colors in the image are. Whereas an actual
    infrared picture doesn't take the colors in the subject into account at all
    (except inasmuch as darker colors tend to radiate heat more).

    So even if you had a combination of settings that produced the effect you're
    looking for with one image, those same exact settings would most likely not
    work for another (unless, of course, the other image had exactly the same
    kind of color distribution as the first).

    Pete

    Peter Duniho Guest

  7. #7

    I am looking for an effect similar to the one attached. Is that possible with simply using PSE2 or do I need to purchase an infra-red filter for my digital camera?

    An example picture can be found at:

    <http://www.heliopan.com/heliopan_infrared_filters.htm>
    Max Oyler Guest