Professional Web Applications Themes

INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hi, I have loaded LInux 9 on my dual processor desktop. Everything was working perfectly, but suddenly I reboot the system and it refuse to come back up again. It keep giving me following error on the screen: INIT: Entering runlevel: 5 INIT: Id "2" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes INIT: Id "6" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes INIT: Id "3" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes INIT: Id "4" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes INIT: Id "5" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for ...

  1. #1

    Default INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel

    Hi,
    I have loaded LInux 9 on my dual processor desktop. Everything was
    working perfectly, but suddenly I reboot the system and it refuse to
    come back up again.

    It keep giving me following error on the screen:

    INIT: Entering runlevel: 5
    INIT: Id "2" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
    INIT: Id "6" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
    INIT: Id "3" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
    INIT: Id "4" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
    INIT: Id "5" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
    INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
    INIT: Id "x" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
    INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel

    I tried to start the system in single user mode but it still gives the
    same error and stop at the same point. Even with the boot disk I
    cannot get system to reboot.

    Can somebody please tell me the reson for this problem and remedy?

    Your help will be highly appreciated.

    thanks,
    Prashant
    Prashant Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel

    Did you boot with an SMP kernel (floppy)

    Jeroen Guest

  3. #3

    Prashant wrote:

    You say you have Linux 9. But which distro?
    Slackware
    Mandrake
    RedHat
    SUSE
    Other...

    When you boot into single user mode you shouldn't get that error
    since single user mode doesn't start X.

    --
    Confucius: He who play in root, eventually kill tree.
    Registered with The Linux Counter. http://counter.li.org/

    David Guest

  4. #4

    Prashant wrote:

    could be a couple of reasons for this; let's start simple: can
    you post the contents of your /etc/inittab file

    also, there is no such release (9) of Linux; which distro?

    you also mention "loaded" - does that mean "installed Linux",
    then you rebooted for the first time (and experienced errors)?
    ..
    \\\ http://pages.sbcglobal.net/mtobler/mjt_linux_page.html ///
    Home of Doberman Propulsion Laboratories:
    The ultimate in watchdog weaponry.
    mjt Guest

  5. #5

    Jeroen,
    NO!! I made the boot floppy during installation. I am not sure if it's
    SMP kernel floppy or not. My guess is that it's the basic linux kernel
    floppy. But even by booting with the floppy the same problem occur and
    system stops at the same point.
    Prashant

    Jeroen Vriesman <com> wrote in message news:<demon.nl>... [/ref]
    Prashant Guest

  6. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Joe Guest
    Moderated Post

  7. #7

    I am sorry I forgot to mention that I have Redhat 9.0 on the system. I
    know single user mode doesn't use X, but still my system stops at the
    same point. By saying that:
    INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel

    Is there a way that I can browse the hard disk and modify the files
    which I modified before restart?

    Any solution will be highly appreciated.
    Prashant

    David <net> wrote in message news:<W6Cgb.705274$uu5.115726sccrnsc04>...

    > You say you have Linux 9. But which distro?
    > Slackware
    > Mandrake
    > RedHat
    > SUSE
    > Other...
    >
    > When you boot into single user mode you shouldn't get that error
    > since single user mode doesn't start X.[/ref]
    Prashant Guest

  8. #8

    Prashant wrote:

    You can boot into rescue mode with the CD or see if you can tell
    it where the root partition is and see if it will boot.

    At the lilo prompt enter:

    linux 3 root=/dev/hdaX

    Where hdaX is the root partition. This should take you to a text
    prompt at runlevel 3. But then again I think redhat uses grub so
    YMMV(Your Mileage May Vary).

    --
    Confucius: He who play in root, eventually kill tree.
    Registered with The Linux Counter. http://counter.li.org/
    Slackware 9.1.0 Kernel 2.4.22 i686 (GCC) 3.3.1
    Uptime: 1 day, 4:04, 1 user, load average: 0.06, 0.04, 0.01

    David Guest

  9. #9

    Prashant wrote:

    < snip >

    Why don't you save all of a lot of time and TELL US WHICH FILES YOU
    MODIFIED?

    --
    Paul Lutus
    http://www.arachnoid.com

    Paul Guest

  10. #10

    I mentioned earlier that I have Redhat 9.0 on my system. NO, it wasn't
    the first time boot. The crashed system was the master node of a small
    6 node cluster, and was working fine for some time. Is that could be
    the reason? Does logging into the system from various other nodes
    could damage the files which X windows need? But the problem is that I
    cannot even boot the system in single user mode.

    I am not able to access my system in any way. That's why I cannot see
    the content of inittab file :(.

    I have GRUB instead of LILO. Can somebody tell me how to troubleshoot
    and access the hard disk in this case?

    Prashant

    mjt <com> wrote in message news:<fGEgb.3040$news.prodigy.com>...

    > could be a couple of reasons for this; let's start simple: can
    > you post the contents of your /etc/inittab file
    >
    > also, there is no such release (9) of Linux; which distro?
    >
    > you also mention "loaded" - does that mean "installed Linux",
    > then you rebooted for the first time (and experienced errors)?
    > .[/ref]
    Prashant Guest

  11. #11

    Prashant wrote:

    .... sorry, you did NOT mention RED HAT 9, you said "Linux 9"

    .... i have a question: are you the sysadmin for 6-cluster network?
    ..
    \\\ http://pages.sbcglobal.net/mtobler/mjt_linux_page.html ///
    Caution: breathing may be hazardous to your health.

    mjt Guest

  12. #12

    Prashant wrote:

    My guess would be it's filesystem that is damaged. Boot from rescue CD
    and do fsck. If you've lost some files, too bad - you will need to
    reinstall affected packages. And if the rpm database itself is damaged
    .... then reinstall Linux or (did anyone mentioned?) restore from a
    recent backup...
    - Michael

    Michael Guest

  13. #13

    > I mentioned earlier that I have Redhat 9.0 on my system. NO, it wasn't

    It is not X that is causing the problem.
    init cannot start several processes.
    The reason for this? No idea.

    What did you do?

    Use a system on CD (like knoppix eg.)
    check/modify your system from there.

    Eric
    Eric Guest

  14. #14

    Hi!!
    If you look at the other threads of this message you'll see that I
    mention Redhat earlier. Anyway that's not an issue. Yes I have managed
    and build the cluster so you can say I am the 'sysadmin'. But I am
    trying to learn more about this.

    I'll appreciate if you can suggest me some solution of this problem.
    And thanks for the corrections, constructive criticism is good :).

    Prashant

    mjt <com> wrote in message news:<M3Lgb.188$news.prodigy.com>...

    > ... sorry, you did NOT mention RED HAT 9, you said "Linux 9"

    > ... i have a question: are you the sysadmin for 6-cluster network?
    > .[/ref]
    Prashant Guest

  15. #15

    Michael,
    Thanks for your reply. Booting from rescue CD, did solve my problem. It's great.
    Thanks again.
    Prashant

    Michael <net> wrote in message news:<ogQgb.705290$Ho3.156024sccrnsc03>...

    > My guess would be it's filesystem that is damaged. Boot from rescue CD
    > and do fsck. If you've lost some files, too bad - you will need to
    > reinstall affected packages. And if the rpm database itself is damaged
    > ... then reinstall Linux or (did anyone mentioned?) restore from a
    > recent backup...
    > - Michael[/ref]
    Prashant Guest

  16. #16

    Paul,
    Booting from Rescue CD did solve my problem. Before the problem
    started I modified the file "/etc/nssswitch.conf". I had just changed
    the preference of passwd database using this file. But I doubt if that
    was the reason for all the problems. Do you think that could be the
    problem?

    I booted from rescue CD and changed the nsswitch.conf to default and
    my problem is solved. But I am still not sure if that file was the
    cause or rescue CD did my fix some missing files in my OS?

    Thanks.
    Prashant

    Paul Lutus <zzz> wrote in message news:<supernews.com>...

    > Why don't you save all of a lot of time and TELL US WHICH FILES YOU
    > MODIFIED?[/ref]
    Prashant Guest

  17. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Eric Guest
    Moderated Post

  18. #18

    Prashant wrote:

    Then rescue CD doesn't change anything on the system. All it is
    for is to be able to rescue the system.

    It sounds like something in the changes you made to nsswitch.conf
    may have caused the problem. It is always a good idea to make a
    backup of a file before making changes to it in case something
    goes wrong it's easily fixed.

    --
    Confucius: He who play in root, eventually kill tree.
    Registered with The Linux Counter. http://counter.li.org/
    Slackware 9.1.0 Kernel 2.4.22 i686 (GCC) 3.3.1
    Uptime: 3 days, 19:50, 1 user, load average: 1.01, 1.05, 1.07

    David Guest

  19. #19

    Prashant:

    What did you change in the nsswitch.conf when you changed it? If you
    did something to the file so that it couldn't be read, you probably in turn
    made it impossible to read many of the critical configuration files.

    If you post a diff of the file before and after you made the original
    change, people here can tell you what it might have been.

    Jer

    alcesteatxmissiondot@com.or.net Guest