Professional Web Applications Themes

Initial adjustments to RAW image file - Photography

Put rather simply...what adjustments do you make to almost every RAW image you convert...before working the picture in Photoshop. ....the sharing of your expertise is most appreciated. Wishing everyone an eventful weekend.....!!! Mark Nashville,TN...

  1. #1

    Default Initial adjustments to RAW image file

    Put rather simply...what adjustments do you make to almost every RAW image
    you convert...before working the picture in Photoshop.

    ....the sharing of your expertise is most appreciated.

    Wishing everyone an eventful weekend.....!!!

    Mark
    Nashville,TN

    Mark C Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Initial adjustments to RAW image file

    In article <bemvh1$75ad0$1ID-135552.news.uni-berlin.de>,
    [email]mc1wallerlaw.com[/email] says...
    > Put rather simply...what adjustments do you make to almost every RAW image
    > you convert...before working the picture in Photoshop.
    >
    > ...the sharing of your expertise is most appreciated.
    >
    > Wishing everyone an eventful weekend.....!!!
    >
    > Mark
    > Nashville,TN

    I would dare say there isn't one.

    --
    John O.
    There is no slack in light attack.

  3. #3

    Surely you start somewhere??? No?
    news:MPG.1978a5f6281fe6039896e7news.mindspring.co m...

  4. #4

    On 11-Jul-2003, "Mark C" <mc1wallerlaw.com> wrote:
    > Put rather simply...what adjustments do you make to almost every RAW image
    > you convert...before working the picture in Photoshop.
    Color temperature (White Balance) and Exposure Value

    --
    Tom Thackrey
    [url]www.creative-light.com[/url]

  5. #5

    "Mark C" <mc1wallerlaw.com> wrote in message
    > Put rather simply...what adjustments do you make to almost every RAW image
    > you convert...before working the picture in Photoshop.
    >
    > ...the sharing of your expertise is most appreciated.
    >
    > Wishing everyone an eventful weekend.....!!!
    >
    > Mark
    > Nashville,TN

    Sharpening all shots and nothing else in 70% of the shots.
    All corrections are best to do in RAW mode.
    I convert RAWs to TIFFs and print'em using PS.

    Ben
    10D
    i950
    CaptureOneDSRL Le.

    Pena Guest

  6. #6

    On 11-Jul-2003, "Mark C" <mc1wallerlaw.com> wrote:
    > "Tom Thackrey" <tomnrcreative-light.com> wrote in message
    > news:ZGDPa.374$65.27689111newssvr14.news.prodigy. com...
    > >
    > > On 11-Jul-2003, "Mark C" <mc1wallerlaw.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Put rather simply...what adjustments do you make to almost every RAW
    > image
    > > > you convert...before working the picture in Photoshop.
    > >
    > > Color temperature (White Balance) and Exposure Value
    > Thanx Tom.....so what do you strive for in those initial adjustments?
    Not ing out the whites with the EV and getting the overall color right
    with the WB.

  7. #7

    None. Actually I use mostly Picture Window Pro, not Photoshop, open the
    RAW file and associate it with the device color profile. Then convert
    the picture to Adobe RGB, then do all the editing I like.

    Only exception is if I want to reduce the grain/noise with Neat Image:
    in that case, I do it first thing on the RAW file.
    > Put rather simply...what adjustments do you make to almost every RAW image
    > you convert...before working the picture in Photoshop.
    > [...]
    Fanta Guest

  8. #8

    In article <ben0ub$73q8p$1ID-135552.news.uni-berlin.de>,
    [email]mc1wallerlaw.com[/email] says...
    > Surely you start somewhere??? No?
    Of course you start somewhere. I just don't think it's as simple as
    saying there are a set of things you do to every image. To say every
    image needs WB adjusted for example. That is just silly. Or that every
    image needs sharpened.... You will of course look at all of these
    things. But ideally, my camera gets most of that the way I want it when
    I pressed the shutter button. The less processing I've got to do, the
    happier I am.

  9. #9

    "Mark C" <mc1wallerlaw.com> wrote
    > > Put rather simply...what adjustments do you make to almost every RAW image
    > > you convert...before working the picture in Photoshop.
    If you count the Adobe Raw Conversion plugin as "before working on it in
    photoshop", I almost always tweak the white balance, exposure and
    contrast, saturation (sometimes up, sometimes down...), and noise
    reduction (smoothing and moiré filter).

    Then, in photoshop proper, I sometimes dodge and burn, use curves, clone
    or use the healing brush, correct chromatic aberration or lens
    distortions, apply more unsharp masking, or use more significant noise
    reduction actions. But more often I just crop.

    --
    David Eppstein [url]http://www.ics.uci.edu/~eppstein/[/url]
    David Eppstein Guest

  10. #10

    "Katie Piecrust" <NoSpam!> wrote in message
    > 16-bit TIFF's. FWIW, I don't use the built in sharpening as I prefer to do
    > this in Photoshop after resizing if needed (for printing). 98% of the time
    > the file needs no further work at all once in Photoshop (other than the
    > mentioned sharpening). This is what really sold me on Capture One. Haven't
    I use slight Sharpening in C1 and in PS I resize in 2-3 steps down and USM
    slightly after every resize.
    This gives me significant sharper pictures (screen) than resizing at once to
    a certain size and after that sharpen.

    Ben

    Pena Guest

  11. #11

    "Mark C" <mc1wallerlaw.com> writes:
    >Surely you start somewhere??? No?
    With the Canon raw converter, at least, the camera settings for white
    balance, sharpening, contrast, etc. become the default settings for the
    raw conversion step. You can change them, but you don't have to. So
    you could just accept the default settings.

    Dave
    Dave Martindale Guest

  12. #12

    On 11-Jul-2003, "Kenny" <blackholebigpic.con> wrote:
    > "Mark C" <mc1wallerlaw.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanx Tom.....so what do you strive for in those initial adjustments?
    > >

    > I love this guy. Ignore all the replies you don't like, even though they
    > are correct, and follow up on the one that fits the answer you want.
    >
    > As far as I am concerned. I use C1LE with my 10D and I have NO common
    > adjustments. If someone is always adjusting WB for instance, then he
    > should learn how to use manual WB to speed up workflow. Adjustments are
    > made as required and sometimes none are required.
    >
    > Maybe not what you want to hear, but for most of us that shoot RAW it's
    > par for the course.
    I don't think his question had right or wrong answers. It was a 'what do you
    do' question not 'what is right'.

    One reason I shoot raw is so I don't have to mess with camera white balance.
    I don't think it impacts my workflow much and I like the results. If I'm
    particularly concerned, I shoot a gray card in a frame and use it to make
    the WB adjustments. With EV, I expose for the highlights with the
    expectation of tweaking the exposure in the conversion process. I'd rather
    underexpose than have n out whites. Just because you choose to do it
    differently doesn't make my way any less 'correct.'

  13. #13

    "Mark C" <mc1wallerlaw.com> wrote in message
    > Put rather simply...what adjustments do you make to almost every RAW image
    > you convert...before working the picture in Photoshop.
    Disable sharpening.

    Bart

    Bart van der Wolf Guest

  14. #14

    Mark C wrote:

    > Put rather simply...what adjustments do you make to almost every RAW image
    > you convert...before working the picture in Photoshop.

    Before working on them in PS? None usually. With proper exposure,
    most images need only a levels adjustment and final sharpening for
    output.

    I've found that the more precise my exposure, the less work needed in
    post processing.

    Lisa
    Lisa Horton Guest

  15. #15

    Default Re: Re: Initial adjustments to RAW image file

    On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 18:16:32 -0700, Lisa Horton <Lisalisahorton.net>
    wrote/replied to:
    >Before working on them in PS? None usually. With proper exposure,
    >most images need only a levels adjustment and final sharpening for
    >output.
    >
    >I've found that the more precise my exposure, the less work needed in
    >post processing.
    Getting your exposure right in camera is a great thing, but I think
    you're missing a whole new world of adjustments in raw conversion.
    There is no way doing these adjustments in Photoshop is the same
    thing. I suggest you do some reading on exactly what you're doing.
    Stretching the tonal range with levels in PS simply means Photoshop
    has to fill in the missing info in the stretched areas and compress
    those in other areas. What that amounts to is degraded image. Doing
    this working with raw data from the camera is a much superior method.

    And that' why I just bought Capture One LE. Check it out.

    Jim Davis
    Nature Photography
    [url]http://www.kjsl.com/~jbdavis/[/url]
    Jim Davis Guest

  16. #16

    Jim Davis wrote:

    > On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 18:16:32 -0700, Lisa Horton <Lisalisahorton.net>
    > wrote/replied to:
    >
    > >Before working on them in PS? None usually. With proper exposure,
    > >most images need only a levels adjustment and final sharpening for
    > >output.
    > >
    > >I've found that the more precise my exposure, the less work needed in
    > >post processing.
    >
    > Getting your exposure right in camera is a great thing, but I think
    > you're missing a whole new world of adjustments in raw conversion.
    > There is no way doing these adjustments in Photoshop is the same
    > thing. I suggest you do some reading on exactly what you're doing.
    > Stretching the tonal range with levels in PS simply means Photoshop
    > has to fill in the missing info in the stretched areas and compress
    > those in other areas. What that amounts to is degraded image. Doing
    > this working with raw data from the camera is a much superior method.
    >
    > And that' why I just bought Capture One LE. Check it out.

    What I mean is that if the exposure is really good, there's little to
    no blank space at either end of the histogram.

    My workflow is oriented around my needs. I often shoot quite a few
    images at a time, and need them finished fairly soon. So I do as much
    as I can in batches. A bit of extra time and effort at shooting time
    can mean the difference between images that can realistically be batch
    processed and images that need individual attention. Batch processing
    saves me money, individual processing costs me money. Well time,
    really, but that's actually a more scarce commodity.

    Now, I may go back and do a different process on the selects, in which
    case I'd normally adjust each one at conversion time.

    Lisa
    Lisa Horton Guest

  17. #17

    In article <3F0F6F69.978C42Elisahorton.net>,
    Lisa Horton <Lisalisahorton.net> wrote:
    > What I mean is that if the exposure is really good, there's little to
    > no blank space at either end of the histogram.
    Depends on the conditions. In sufficiently uncontrasty light I get lots
    of blank space on both ends of the histogram.

  18. #18

    In article <3f0f364f$0$15032$cc9e4d1fnews.dial.pipex.com>,
    [email]blackholebigpic.con[/email] says...

    > "Mark C" <mc1wallerlaw.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanx Tom.....so what do you strive for in those initial adjustments?
    > >

    > I love this guy. Ignore all the replies you don't like, even though they
    > are correct, and follow up on the one that fits the answer you want.
    >
    > As far as I am concerned. I use C1LE with my 10D and I have NO common
    > adjustments. If someone is always adjusting WB for instance, then he
    > should learn how to use manual WB to speed up workflow. Adjustments are
    > made as required and sometimes none are required.
    >
    > Maybe not what you want to hear, but for most of us that shoot RAW it's
    > par for the course.
    >
    > Kenny

    Thanks Kenny. That was the gist of the FIRST freakin reply. Everyone is
    dancing around this when there is a simple answer to his question. (And
    by some of the answers, I don't think some have even really read the
    original question) Which I've (and now you :-)) have given. There are NO
    common adjustments for every image. The guy is looking for some magic
    answer.

    The guy asks: what adjustments do you make to almost every RAW image
    you convert...before working the picture in Photoshop.

    That is all he asks. The answer is "THERE ARE NONE!"

    NEXT

  19. #19

    On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 23:12:29 +0100, in
    <3f0f364f$0$15032$cc9e4d1fnews.dial.pipex.com>, "Kenny"
    <blackholebigpic.con> said:

    >"Mark C" <mc1wallerlaw.com> wrote in message
    >> Thanx Tom.....so what do you strive for in those initial adjustments?
    >>

    >I love this guy. Ignore all the replies you don't like, even though they
    >are correct, and follow up on the one that fits the answer you want.
    Eh?
    Why do you think he should be discussing your comment with you? You do
    it your way, he does it way. No big deal.

    Lionel Guest

  20. #20

    On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 22:38:36 +0300, in
    <ben3nt$rj9$1phys-news1.kolumbus.fi>, "Pena" <tamaeioleoikaosoite.com>
    said:
    >I use slight Sharpening in C1 and in PS I resize in 2-3 steps down and USM
    >slightly after every resize.
    >This gives me significant sharper pictures (screen) than resizing at once to
    >a certain size and after that sharpen.
    I don't got to that much trouble, but I definitely prefer to sharpen
    before resizing. IMO, it results in a cleaner image than sharpening
    last.

    Lionel Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast