http://www.stevedunn.ca/ <----------------<<<[/ref][/ref][/ref] ------------------------------------------------------------------ Say hi to my cat -- http://www.stevedunn.ca/photos/toby/ [allowsmilie] => 1 [showsignature] => 0 [ipaddress] => [iconid] => 0 [visible] => 1 [attach] => 0 [infraction] => 0 [reportthreadid] => 0 [isusenetpost] => 1 [msgid] => [ref] => [htmlstate] => on_nl2br [postusername] => Stephen [ip] => stephen@stevedu [isdeleted] => 0 [usergroupid] => [membergroupids] => [displaygroupid] => [password] => [passworddate] => [email] => [styleid] => [parentemail] => [homepage] => [icq] => [aim] => [yahoo] => [msn] => [skype] => [showvbcode] => [showbirthday] => [usertitle] => [customtitle] => [joindate] => [daysprune] => [lastvisit] => [lastactivity] => [lastpost] => [lastpostid] => [posts] => [reputation] => [reputationlevelid] => [timezoneoffset] => [pmpopup] => [avatarid] => [avatarrevision] => [profilepicrevision] => [sigpicrevision] => [options] => [akvbghsfs_optionsfield] => [birthday] => [birthday_search] => [maxposts] => [startofweek] => [referrerid] => [languageid] => [emailstamp] => [threadedmode] => [autosubscribe] => [pmtotal] => [pmunread] => [salt] => [ipoints] => [infractions] => [warnings] => [infractiongroupids] => [infractiongroupid] => [adminoptions] => [profilevisits] => [friendcount] => [friendreqcount] => [vmunreadcount] => [vmmoderatedcount] => [socgroupinvitecount] => [socgroupreqcount] => [pcunreadcount] => [pcmoderatedcount] => [gmmoderatedcount] => [assetposthash] => [fbuserid] => [fbjoindate] => [fbname] => [logintype] => [fbaccesstoken] => [newrepcount] => [vbseo_likes_in] => [vbseo_likes_out] => [vbseo_likes_unread] => [temp] => [field1] => [field2] => [field3] => [field4] => [field5] => [subfolders] => [pmfolders] => [buddylist] => [ignorelist] => [signature] => [searchprefs] => [rank] => [icontitle] => [iconpath] => [avatarpath] => [hascustomavatar] => 0 [avatardateline] => [avwidth] => [avheight] => [edit_userid] => [edit_username] => [edit_dateline] => [edit_reason] => [hashistory] => [pagetext_html] => [hasimages] => [signatureparsed] => [sighasimages] => [sigpic] => [sigpicdateline] => [sigpicwidth] => [sigpicheight] => [postcount] => 3 [islastshown] => [isfirstshown] => [attachments] => [allattachments] => ) --> http://www.stevedunn.ca/ <----------------<<<[/ref][/ref] > ------------------------------------------------------------------ > Say hi to my cat -- http://www.stevedunn.ca/photos/toby/[/ref] [allowsmilie] => 1 [showsignature] => 0 [ipaddress] => [iconid] => 0 [visible] => 1 [attach] => 0 [infraction] => 0 [reportthreadid] => 0 [isusenetpost] => 1 [msgid] => [ref] => [htmlstate] => on_nl2br [postusername] => Frank [ip] => fshank@sbcgloba [isdeleted] => 0 [usergroupid] => [membergroupids] => [displaygroupid] => [password] => [passworddate] => [email] => [styleid] => [parentemail] => [homepage] => [icq] => [aim] => [yahoo] => [msn] => [skype] => [showvbcode] => [showbirthday] => [usertitle] => [customtitle] => [joindate] => [daysprune] => [lastvisit] => [lastactivity] => [lastpost] => [lastpostid] => [posts] => [reputation] => [reputationlevelid] => [timezoneoffset] => [pmpopup] => [avatarid] => [avatarrevision] => [profilepicrevision] => [sigpicrevision] => [options] => [akvbghsfs_optionsfield] => [birthday] => [birthday_search] => [maxposts] => [startofweek] => [referrerid] => [languageid] => [emailstamp] => [threadedmode] => [autosubscribe] => [pmtotal] => [pmunread] => [salt] => [ipoints] => [infractions] => [warnings] => [infractiongroupids] => [infractiongroupid] => [adminoptions] => [profilevisits] => [friendcount] => [friendreqcount] => [vmunreadcount] => [vmmoderatedcount] => [socgroupinvitecount] => [socgroupreqcount] => [pcunreadcount] => [pcmoderatedcount] => [gmmoderatedcount] => [assetposthash] => [fbuserid] => [fbjoindate] => [fbname] => [logintype] => [fbaccesstoken] => [newrepcount] => [vbseo_likes_in] => [vbseo_likes_out] => [vbseo_likes_unread] => [temp] => [field1] => [field2] => [field3] => [field4] => [field5] => [subfolders] => [pmfolders] => [buddylist] => [ignorelist] => [signature] => [searchprefs] => [rank] => [icontitle] => [iconpath] => [avatarpath] => [hascustomavatar] => 0 [avatardateline] => [avwidth] => [avheight] => [edit_userid] => [edit_username] => [edit_dateline] => [edit_reason] => [hashistory] => [pagetext_html] => [hasimages] => [signatureparsed] => [sighasimages] => [sigpic] => [sigpicdateline] => [sigpicwidth] => [sigpicheight] => [postcount] => 4 [islastshown] => [isfirstshown] => [attachments] => [allattachments] => ) --> inittab SCO 3.2v5.0.5 - SCO

inittab SCO 3.2v5.0.5 - SCO

I've been the system administrator for our company system for the past 20+ years. Since SCO Unix is so stable, I have not spent the time (nor taken the time) to learn more about this operating system. i.e. I know just enough to be dangerous. This weekend I came in to work and thought I'd make some backups and then shutdown the system and clean the box. Blew out all the dust, put the cover back on and powered up. Everything semed just fine. This morning, one of the operators called to tell me they had "greek" all over their ...

Default inittab SCO 3.2v5.0.5

I've been the system administrator for our company system for the past 20+
    years. Since SCO Unix is so stable, I have not spent the time (nor taken the
    time) to learn more about this operating system. i.e. I know just enough to
    be dangerous.

This weekend I came in to work and thought I'd make some backups and then
    shutdown the system and clean the box. Blew out all the dust, put the cover
    back on and powered up. Everything semed just fine.

This morning, one of the operators called to tell me they had "greek" all
    over their screen. First thing that comes to my mind is baud rate. I check
    another terminal, which someone had already logged in to to see what it was
    set at. The moment I logged out on that terminal, also, nothing but "greek".
    These particular terminals (I'm running Esprit and Wyse 150 terminals) are
    set to run at 19,200.

Every (dumb) terminal in the company that was running, when I logged the
    user out, turned to "greek".

I checked my /etc/inittab file for the settings. Every terminal listed was
    changed back from "n" to "m" (running at 9600). I also noticed that every
    termainal was listed twice.

I changed the baud rate back to what it should be in the innittab file,
    disabled and enabled each terminal and they are now running fine.

Does anyone have any idea what may have caused the change in the inittab
    file?

Frank

Frank Guest

Default Re: inittab SCO 3.2v5.0.5

"Frank" <net> wrote in message
    news:RsTrb.261$news.prodigy.com... 
    the 
    to 
    cover 
    was 
    "greek". 
    Did you add, change or modify anything since your last reboot -- and
    rebuild the environment?

Ron

Ronald Guest

In article <RsTrb.261$news.prodigy.com> "Frank" <net> writes:
    $Does anyone have any idea what may have caused the change in the inittab
    $file?

You didn't, by any chance, relink the kernel, did you? By
    installing a patch, for instance?

When you relink the kernel, /etc/inittab is rebuilt using the
    contents of a number of other files; the ones that would control the
    lines that changed speed are in /etc/conf/init.d (and the specific
    file in question is mentioned when you enable or disable a terminal).
    If someone had manually edited /etc/inittab at some time in the past, but
    forgotten to update the files in /etc/conf/init.d, then everything
    would be fine until the next kernel relink, at which time /etc/inittab
    is recreated using the files that never got edited.
    --
    Stephen M. Dunn <ca> [/ref][/ref]
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Say hi to my cat -- http://www.stevedunn.ca/photos/toby/
    Stephen Guest

Yes! Thank You! I did relink the kernel when I changed some other network
    stuff. If I want my inittab file to keep the proper entries after I edit
    them, I should then also make the changes in the /etc/conf/init.d/rckt? Will
    that solve my problem should I ever relink the kernel?

Thanks for your help.

Frank

"Stephen M. Dunn" <ca> wrote in message
    news:ca... 
    <net> writes: [/ref]
    > ------------------------------------------------------------------
    > Say hi to my cat -- http://www.stevedunn.ca/photos/toby/[/ref]

Frank Guest

Frank typed (on Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 11:19:12PM +0000):
    | Yes! Thank You! I did relink the kernel when I changed some other network
    | stuff. If I want my inittab file to keep the proper entries after I edit
    | them, I should then also make the changes in the /etc/conf/init.d/rckt? Will
    | that solve my problem should I ever relink the kernel?

Yup.

Disable, then enable one of the serial lines. You'll be told that ~two~
    files were changed: inittab and that rckt file.

--
    JP
    Jean-Pierre Guest

Thank you very much for your help.

Frank

"Jean-Pierre Radley" <com> wrote in message
    news:jpr.com... 
    network 
    Will 

Frank Guest