Professional Web Applications Themes

INSERT Statement Query - MySQL

Hi, I am about to embark on performing a data migration into a MySQL database. The goal is to be able to take the input data, and generate SQL statements to insert the data. The problem that I have, is that alot of the data is to be generated into parent-child relationships, where the unique parent key is an auto-increment field. This means that I do not know, when generating the SQL, what the parent ID is to put into the child record. Is it possible to 'look-up' the value within an INSERT statement? For example, something like: INSERT INTO ...

Default INSERT Statement Query

Hi,

I am about to embark on performing a data migration into a MySQL database. The goal is to be able to take the input data, and generate SQL statements to insert the data.

The problem that I have, is that alot of the data is to be generated into parent-child relationships, where the unique parent key is an auto-increment field. This means that I do not know, when generating the SQL, what the parent ID is to put into the child record.

Is it possible to 'look-up' the value within an INSERT statement?

For example, something like:

INSERT INTO member
    (fund_id, member-code, member-name)
    VALUES (
    (
    SELECT fund.fund_id
    FROM fund
    WHERE fund.fund_code = "12345"
    ),
    "NEW-MEMBER",
    "Mr New Member");

I tried the above, but it didn't work, so I thought I'd ask if what I am after is even possible before I attempt to solve it.

Regards,

--

Murdoc Guest

2. Moderated Post

Default Re: INSERT Statement Query

Removed by Administrator
    Giuseppe Maxia Guest
    Moderated Post

3. Moderated Post

Removed by Administrator
    Murdoc Guest
    Moderated Post

Assuming that fund_id is an autonumber, you can write:

INSERT INTO fund(...) VALUES(...);
    SET FundID=LAST_INSERT_ID();
    INSERT INTO member(fund_id, ...) VALUES(FundID, ...);

etc. The variables remain valid as long as the connection to the server
    remains open.

Murdoc wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am about to embark on performing a data migration into a MySQL database. The goal is to be able to take the input data, and generate SQL statements to insert the data.
    >
    > The problem that I have, is that alot of the data is to be generated into parent-child relationships, where the unique parent key is an auto-increment field. This means that I do not know, when generating the SQL, what the parent ID is to put into the child record.
    >
    > Is it possible to 'look-up' the value within an INSERT statement?
    >
    > For example, something like:
    >
    > INSERT INTO member
    > (fund_id, member-code, member-name)
    > VALUES (
    > (
    > SELECT fund.fund_id
    > FROM fund
    > WHERE fund.fund_code = "12345"
    > ),
    > "NEW-MEMBER",
    > "Mr New Member");
    >
    > I tried the above, but it didn't work, so I thought I'd ask if what I am after is even possible before I attempt to solve it.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    Dikkie Dik Guest

Dikkie Dik wrote:
    > Assuming that fund_id is an autonumber, you can write:
    >
    > INSERT INTO fund(...) VALUES(...);
    > SET FundID=LAST_INSERT_ID();
    > INSERT INTO member(fund_id, ...) VALUES(FundID, ...);
    >
    > etc. The variables remain valid as long as the connection to the server remains open.
    I could do that if I was using a single INSERT statement for every 'fund' record. However, I'm 'bulk' inserting the records into the fund table with a single INSERT statement.

Regards,
    Murdoc.

--

Murdoc Guest

Murdoc wrote:
    > Dikkie Dik wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Assuming that fund_id is an autonumber, you can write:
    >>
    >>INSERT INTO fund(...) VALUES(...);
    >>SET FundID=LAST_INSERT_ID();
    >>INSERT INTO member(fund_id, ...) VALUES(FundID, ...);
    >>
    >>etc. The variables remain valid as long as the connection to the server remains open.
    >
    >
    > I could do that if I was using a single INSERT statement for every 'fund' record. However, I'm 'bulk' inserting the records into the fund table with a single INSERT statement.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Murdoc.
    >
    >
    If you're going to use an autoincrement field and need the autoincrement
    value, you have to insert row at a time. This is true in MySQL and
    every other RDB I know of which has an autoincrement field.

--
    ==================
    Remove the "x" from my email address
    Jerry Stuckle
    JDS Computer Training Corp.
    [email]jstucklexattglobal.net[/email]
    ==================
    Jerry Stuckle Guest

Jerry Stuckle wrote:
    > Murdoc wrote:
    > > Dikkie Dik wrote:
    > >
    > >
    > > > Assuming that fund_id is an autonumber, you can write:
    > > >
    > > > INSERT INTO fund(...) VALUES(...);
    > > > SET FundID=LAST_INSERT_ID();
    > > > INSERT INTO member(fund_id, ...) VALUES(FundID, ...);
    > > >
    > > > etc. The variables remain valid as long as the connection to the server remains open.
    > >
    > >
    > > I could do that if I was using a single INSERT statement for every 'fund' record. However, I'm 'bulk' inserting the records into the fund table with a single INSERT statement.
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > > Murdoc.
    > >
    > >
    >
    > If you're going to use an autoincrement field and need the autoincrement value, you have to insert row at a time. This is true in MySQL and every other RDB I know of which has an autoincrement field.
    And hence the reason that I am not going to use the LAST_INSERT_ID() method as suggested. The SQL I am generating will lookup the required autoincrement value that was created based on a separate unique index (not the auto-increment field).

--

Murdoc Guest

Murdoc wrote:
    > Jerry Stuckle wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Murdoc wrote:
    >>
    >>>Dikkie Dik wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>Assuming that fund_id is an autonumber, you can write:
    >>>>
    >>>>INSERT INTO fund(...) VALUES(...);
    >>>>SET FundID=LAST_INSERT_ID();
    >>>>INSERT INTO member(fund_id, ...) VALUES(FundID, ...);
    >>>>
    >>>>etc. The variables remain valid as long as the connection to the server remains open.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>I could do that if I was using a single INSERT statement for every 'fund' record. However, I'm 'bulk' inserting the records into the fund table with a single INSERT statement.
    >>>
    >>>Regards,
    >>>Murdoc.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>
    >>If you're going to use an autoincrement field and need the autoincrement value, you have to insert row at a time. This is true in MySQL and every other RDB I know of which has an autoincrement field.
    >
    >
    > And hence the reason that I am not going to use the LAST_INSERT_ID() method as suggested. The SQL I am generating will lookup the required autoincrement value that was created based on a separate unique index (not the auto-increment field).
    >
    If you already have a unique index, why do you need an autoincrement field?

--
    ==================
    Remove the "x" from my email address
    Jerry Stuckle
    JDS Computer Training Corp.
    [email]jstucklexattglobal.net[/email]
    ==================
    Jerry Stuckle Guest

Jerry Stuckle wrote:
    > Murdoc wrote:
    > > Jerry Stuckle wrote:
    > >
    > >
    > > > Murdoc wrote:
    > > >
    > > > > Dikkie Dik wrote:
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > > > Assuming that fund_id is an autonumber, you can write:
    > > > > >
    > > > > > INSERT INTO fund(...) VALUES(...);
    > > > > > SET FundID=LAST_INSERT_ID();
    > > > > > INSERT INTO member(fund_id, ...) VALUES(FundID, ...);
    > > > > >
    > > > > > etc. The variables remain valid as long as the connection to the server remains open.
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > > I could do that if I was using a single INSERT statement for every 'fund' record. However, I'm 'bulk' inserting the records into the fund table with a single INSERT statement.
    > > > >
    > > > > Regards,
    > > > > Murdoc.
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > >
    > > > If you're going to use an autoincrement field and need the autoincrement value, you have to insert row at a time. This is true in MySQL and every other RDB I know of which has an autoincrement field.
    > >
    > >
    > > And hence the reason that I am not going to use the LAST_INSERT_ID() method as suggested. The SQL I am generating will lookup the required autoincrement value that was created based on a separate unique index (not the auto-increment field).
    > >
    >
    > If you already have a unique index, why do you need an autoincrement field?
    Because the unique index that I have is a multiple-component index (in some cases up to 4 fields). I use the auto-increment field to build the relationships (and usually do not display this value to the user), but the other unique index is visible and identifiable to the user.

For example:

tax_packet
    fund_code VARCHAR(15) (U1)
    purchase_transaction_id INTEGER (U1)
    folio_value INTEGER (U1)
    tax_packet_id INTEGER (U2)

In the above example, the user knows about the fund_code, purchase_transaction_id and folio_value combination, but does not know, and does not care about the tax_packet_id value (which is used to link to the related tables).

--

Murdoc Guest

Then just change the SET command with a setting select:

SELECT FundID:=fund_id FROM fund WHERE fund_code='...';

(notice the := assignment)

Murdoc wrote:
    > Jerry Stuckle wrote:
    >
    >> Murdoc wrote:
    >>> Dikkie Dik wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>> Assuming that fund_id is an autonumber, you can write:
    >>>>
    >>>> INSERT INTO fund(...) VALUES(...);
    >>>> SET FundID=LAST_INSERT_ID();
    >>>> INSERT INTO member(fund_id, ...) VALUES(FundID, ...);
    >>>>
    >>>> etc. The variables remain valid as long as the connection to the server remains open.
    >>>
    >>> I could do that if I was using a single INSERT statement for every 'fund' record. However, I'm 'bulk' inserting the records into the fund table with a single INSERT statement.
    >>>
    >>> Regards,
    >>> Murdoc.
    >>>
    >>>
    >> If you're going to use an autoincrement field and need the autoincrement value, you have to insert row at a time. This is true in MySQL and every other RDB I know of which has an autoincrement field.
    >
    > And hence the reason that I am not going to use the LAST_INSERT_ID() method as suggested. The SQL I am generating will lookup the required autoincrement value that was created based on a separate unique index (not the auto-increment field).
    >
    Dikkie Dik Guest