Professional Web Applications Themes

install&configure debian - problems - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hi! I am trying to install Debian-Woody bf flavour.... trying... and trying...and trying... ( This is my first time with Debian, so... ) First problem, my motherboard has a rtl8139 network card, if I install the idepci it works, if I install the bf it doesn't (it is not in the card list). I download the sources for 8139too but make throws errors and doesn't compile. Second: I just can't make X work! It keeps crashing when trying to load. Second.5: I downloaded the NVIDIA drivers but the kernel sources are not installed ( apparently ). How can I install ...

  1. #1

    Default install&configure debian - problems

    Hi! I am trying to install Debian-Woody bf flavour.... trying... and
    trying...and trying... ( This is my first time with Debian, so... )

    First problem, my motherboard has a rtl8139 network card, if I install
    the idepci it works, if I install the bf it doesn't (it is not in the
    card list). I download the sources for 8139too but make throws errors
    and doesn't compile.

    Second: I just can't make X work! It keeps crashing when trying to
    load.

    Second.5: I downloaded the NVIDIA drivers but the kernel sources are
    not installed ( apparently ). How can I install the sources in order
    to install the NVIDIA drivers? Any help here?

    Ok, This is my setup:

    P4 2.4 Ghz, 256MB
    NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420
    Audigy 1

    I have the 7 Woody cds. Can someone give me some guidance about how to
    make it work?

    Thank you very much!

    A.
    Andres Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: install&configure debian - problems

    The best place for Debian questions is the debian-user mailing list. Go to
    [url]www.debian.org[/url] to subscribe.
    --
    John Hasler
    [email]johndhh.gt.org[/email]

  3. #3

    Andres <avalenciano> wrote:
    > Hi! I am trying to install Debian-Woody bf flavour.... trying... and
    > trying...and trying... ( This is my first time with Debian, so... )
    > First problem, my motherboard has a rtl8139 network card, if I install
    That's not a problem. Millions of people have them, and it works just
    fine.
    > the idepci it works, if I install the bf it doesn't (it is not in the
    > card list). I download the sources for 8139too but make throws errors
    > and doesn't compile.
    Sure it does - once you place the kernel sources in their place! How
    else do you think one compiles kernel modules?
    > Second: I just can't make X work! It keeps crashing when trying to
    That's a personal problem. I can make it work just fine.
    > load.
    Run it with -probeonly and show the results. Remove the config file
    first, if necessary.
    > Second.5: I downloaded the NVIDIA drivers but the kernel sources are
    Don't! You don't want that crap.
    > not installed ( apparently ). How can I install the sources in order
    > to install the NVIDIA drivers? Any help here?
    What's your problem? You already have the sources on your cds
    - just install them.

    Peter
    Peter T. Breuer Guest

  4. #4

    Hello

    Andres (<avalenciano>) wrote:
    > Hi! I am trying to install Debian-Woody bf flavour.... trying... and
    > trying...and trying... ( This is my first time with Debian, so... )
    >
    > First problem, my motherboard has a rtl8139 network card, if I install
    > the idepci it works, if I install the bf it doesn't (it is not in the
    > card list).
    It is not in the list because the driver is not compiled as a module. It
    is compiled into the Kernel (take a look at /boot/config-2.4.18-bf2.4
    if you have the BF Kernel installed).
    > I download the sources for 8139too but make throws errors
    > and doesn't compile.
    There should be no need for you to compile the driver on your own.
    > Second: I just can't make X work! It keeps crashing when trying to
    > load.
    The error message would be helpful. Take a look at
    /var/log/XFree86.0.log. One thing that happens frequently to new users
    is that their X-server does not start with nvidia cards because the
    kernel framebuffer option is turned on. I think in this case the server
    will quit with "screens found, but none have a usable configuration".
    Edit /etc/XF86Config-4 and set FBdev to "false" or do

    dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

    and select no when debconf asks for the framebuffer. Maybe this will
    already solve your problem.

    Maybe your card is not yes supported by the "nv" driver in XFree 4.1. In
    that case you can try to use the vesa driver or install the driver from
    nvidia (this one will also give you 3D accelleration).
    > Second.5: I downloaded the NVIDIA drivers but the kernel sources are
    > not installed ( apparently ). How can I install the sources in order
    > to install the NVIDIA drivers? Any help here?
    Don't install the sources if you want to install the nvidia driver. The
    kernel headers will also work. Do

    apt-get install kernel-headers-2.4.18-bf2.4

    and make a symlink

    /usr/src/linux => /usr/src/kernel-headers-2.4.18-bf2.4

    Install the compiler, make and so on (apt-get install build-essentials
    should get you everything you need) and run the driver installation.

    Afterwards, don't forget to adapt your X-server config. Change the
    driver from "nv" to "nvidia". See the Nvidia installation readme for
    more info and additional driver options.

    best regards
    Andreas Janssen

    --
    Andreas Janssen
    [email]andreas.janssenbigfoot.com[/email]

  5. #5

    In article <bif1ka$fth$00$1news.t-online.com>, Andreas Janssen wrote:
    > Andres (<avalenciano>) wrote:
    >
    >> Hi! I am trying to install Debian-Woody bf flavour.... trying... and
    >> trying...and trying... ( This is my first time with Debian, so... )
    >>
    >> First problem, my motherboard has a rtl8139 network card, if I install
    >> the idepci it works, if I install the bf it doesn't (it is not in the
    >> card list).
    >
    > It is not in the list because the driver is not compiled as a module. It
    > is compiled into the Kernel (take a look at /boot/config-2.4.18-bf2.4
    > if you have the BF Kernel installed).
    Right. Note that when you install a regular kernel-image later, the driver
    is a module and you'll have to take care of it then.

    --
    Juha Siltala
    Juha Siltala Guest

  6. #6

    Hi,
    > First problem, my motherboard has a rtl8139 network card,
    This is a perfectly fine (ok, maybe just fine) network chip working
    in quite a lot of installations. (For example in my debian at home.. ;-)
    > if I install
    > the idepci it works, if I install the bf it doesn't (it is not in the
    > card list). I download the sources for 8139too but make throws errors
    > and doesn't compile.
    There's no need to compile it by hand. How comes that you believe that
    it doesn't work? Symptoms? It might be compiled into the kernel.

    If so, get the kernel sources from the "canonical" location ([url]www.debian.org[/url])
    and build your own kernel. You also want the "kernel-package" then to
    make kernel builds the easy way.
    > Second: I just can't make X work! It keeps crashing when trying to
    > load.
    Sorry, my crystal ball is in the repair shop and requires fixing. You're
    better off specifying the problem, e.g. the XF86Config-4 (look into
    /etc/X11/XF86Config-4) and the X11 log (/var/log/XFree86.0.log) would be
    helpful.

    If this is an nvidia graphics card (fine otherwise, I've two of them),
    check whether the frame buffer is enabled. If so, disable it. It won't
    work on the NV cards, though dropping the fbdev won't hurt you.
    > Second.5: I downloaded the NVIDIA drivers but the kernel sources are
    > not installed ( apparently ). How can I install the sources in order
    > to install the NVIDIA drivers? Any help here?
    Well, then install them. (-; Lemme see... I suppose you're using the
    2.4.18bf2 kernel, then this here:

    [url]http://packages.debian.org/stable/devel/kernel-source-2.4.18.html[/url]

    might be a good candiate.

    Then, for the nv driver, read the nvidia readme *carefully*. You most
    likely have to create a specific device file in /dev (forgot its name,
    probably /dev/nvidia) and have to load a module for the driver, possibly
    nvidia.o. This loading can be automated by means of a suitable tiny
    file in /etc/modutils/... (DO NOT edit /etc/modules.conf by hand on a
    debian system, place the lines to be inserted into /etc/modutils/nvidia),
    and a call to "update-modules".

    Your system should be fine afterwards. One of the drawbacks of the nvidia
    driver is that you have to re-compile/install it every time you install a
    new driver, though I don't agree that it is crappy. It supports the hardware
    much better than the "free" "nv" driver does. That's clearly not the failure
    of the "nv" authors (rather, nvidia's), but that doesn't make the closed-
    source driver bad per se, or the open source one "good".

    So long,
    Thomas
    Thomas Richter Guest

  7. #7

    Ok,
    If your post was meant to be funny.
    fine,
    else
    why in this world someone spends time answering a honest question in that way!

    "Peter T. Breuer" <ptboboe.it.uc3m.es> wrote in message news:<qpveib.27k.lnnews.it.uc3m.es>...
    > Andres <avalenciano> wrote:
    > > Hi! I am trying to install Debian-Woody bf flavour.... trying... and
    > > trying...and trying... ( This is my first time with Debian, so... )
    >
    > > First problem, my motherboard has a rtl8139 network card, if I install
    >
    > That's not a problem. Millions of people have them, and it works just
    > fine.
    >
    > > the idepci it works, if I install the bf it doesn't (it is not in the
    > > card list). I download the sources for 8139too but make throws errors
    > > and doesn't compile.
    >
    > Sure it does - once you place the kernel sources in their place! How
    > else do you think one compiles kernel modules?
    >
    > > Second: I just can't make X work! It keeps crashing when trying to
    >
    > That's a personal problem. I can make it work just fine.
    >
    > > load.
    >
    > Run it with -probeonly and show the results. Remove the config file
    > first, if necessary.
    >
    > > Second.5: I downloaded the NVIDIA drivers but the kernel sources are
    >
    > Don't! You don't want that crap.
    >
    > > not installed ( apparently ). How can I install the sources in order
    > > to install the NVIDIA drivers? Any help here?
    >
    > What's your problem? You already have the sources on your cds
    > - just install them.
    >
    > Peter
    Andres Guest

  8. #8

    Thanks for the answers!

    I will try again tonight with the info you gave me. I am trying to
    figure out the "Debian-way" of things.

    I didn't post more info about the X problem thinking it was a common
    problem with the MX boards, now that I know it isn't, I will try other
    things.

    Thanks again for your help!

    A.
    Andres Guest

  9. #9

    Andres <avalenciano> wrote:
    > If your post was meant to be funny.
    a) don't TOP POST.
    > else
    > why in this world someone spends time answering a honest question in that way!
    b) answer the questions and follow the advice given you in the stuff you
    so rudely top posted all over the top of while ignoring completely...

    Peter
    Peter T. Breuer Guest

  10. #10

    :-)
    > Don't install the sources if you want to install the nvidia driver. The
    > kernel headers will also work. Do
    >
    > apt-get install kernel-headers-2.4.18-bf2.4
    >
    > and make a symlink
    >
    > /usr/src/linux => /usr/src/kernel-headers-2.4.18-bf2.4
    Thanks, headers and Nvidia driver installed!

    A.
    Andres Guest