Professional Web Applications Themes

Install CSDK and other Packages - Informix

Has anyone successfully installed, for example, CSDK from the IBM Linux download? I have tried ever variant of cpio I can think of (finally settling on cpio -idBumv < csdk.cpi) and continually get Extracting the message files to /tmp/install cpio: premature end of file Error: Out of space on /tmp/install. Set environment variable TMP to a directory with at least 50 MB space. (My root tree -- where /tmp lives -- has 7,647,924 K bytes available.) What, if anything, can I do to get this thing to work? Thanks for any advice....

  1. #1

    Default Install CSDK and other Packages

    Has anyone successfully installed, for example, CSDK from the IBM Linux
    download?

    I have tried ever variant of cpio I can think of (finally settling on
    cpio -idBumv < csdk.cpi) and continually get

    Extracting the message files to /tmp/install
    cpio: premature end of file
    Error: Out of space on /tmp/install. Set environment variable
    TMP to a directory with at least 50 MB space.

    (My root tree -- where /tmp lives -- has 7,647,924 K bytes available.)

    What, if anything, can I do to get this thing to work?

    Thanks for any advice.

    Thomas Ronayne Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Install CSDK and other Packages

    What link did you use to download CSDK? I have had it installed several
    times from the IBM download site ( for test purposes), and it installs
    just fine.

    Thanks and Regards,
    Abhi.
    There are 10 kinds of people,,,,,
    ..... those who understand binary notations, and those who don't.

    Thomas Ronayne <tronaREMOVETHISameritech.net>
    Sent by: [email]owner-informix-listiiug.org[/email]
    10/13/2003 06:28 PM
    Please respond to Thomas Ronayne

    To: [email]informix-listiiug.org[/email]
    cc:
    Subject: Install CSDK and other Packages

    Has anyone successfully installed, for example, CSDK from the IBM Linux
    download?

    I have tried ever variant of cpio I can think of (finally settling on
    cpio -idBumv < csdk.cpi) and continually get

    Extracting the message files to /tmp/install
    cpio: premature end of file
    Error: Out of space on /tmp/install. Set environment variable
    TMP to a directory with at least 50 MB space.

    (My root tree -- where /tmp lives -- has 7,647,924 K bytes available.)

    What, if anything, can I do to get this thing to work?

    Thanks for any advice.

    sending to informix-list
    Abhishek Mathur Guest

  3. #3

    Abhishek Mathur wrote:
    > What link did you use to download CSDK? I have had it installed several
    > times from the IBM download site ( for test purposes), and it installs
    > just fine.
    I used the "IBM Informix Client Software Development Kit (CSDK) for
    Linux," "Linux xSeries Intel-based SVR (PCs), SCO OpenUnix 8."

    The link (sorry about the length) is:
    [url]http://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp/download/preconfig.jsp?id=2002-12-16+16%3A21%3A39.260871C&cat=&fam=&s=z&S_TACT=__S_T ACT__&S_CMP=__S_CMP__[/url]

    The system is Slackware 9.1, kernel 2.4.22, GCC 3.2.3 -- the downloaded
    file, an uncompressed(!) tar file is 63,354,880 bytes.

    I'm wondering if I have to upgrade from IDS 7.30.UC5? All I'm really
    trying to do is get the correct library versions to support the new
    release of the gcc compiler.

    Thanks,

    Thomas

    Thomas Ronayne Guest

  4. #4

    Thomas Ronayne wrote:
    > Has anyone successfully installed, for example, CSDK from the IBM Linux
    > download?
    >
    > I have tried ever variant of cpio I can think of (finally settling on
    > cpio -idBumv < csdk.cpi) and continually get
    >
    > Extracting the message files to /tmp/install
    > cpio: premature end of file
    > Error: Out of space on /tmp/install. Set environment variable
    > TMP to a directory with at least 50 MB space.
    >
    > (My root tree -- where /tmp lives -- has 7,647,924 K bytes available.)
    >
    > What, if anything, can I do to get this thing to work?
    >
    > Thanks for any advice.

    I've discovered that the problem is not running out of space but rather
    the cpio options embedded in the install scripts. The cpio options
    embedded in the install scripts (and in the Installation Guide) are cpio
    -icdumvB and these result in "premature end of file," which returns "not
    zero" to the shell; that in turn causes the "out of space" abort message.

    Manually executing cpio with just "-i" appears to extract everything
    from the initial tar (including creating the doc directory on that
    extraction), but editing the install* scripts and replacing "-icdumvB"
    with "-i" results in a failed installation, dammit.

    I'm trying to install in Slackware 9.1 with GNU cpio and I'm beginning
    to think I've got the wrong CSDK archive (although I have downloaded at
    least two different versions -- the one on the IBM site that says is 27M
    is actually 68M just like the other one) -- any hints?

    Thomas Ronayne Guest

  5. #5

    Hello Thomas,
    I tried to use the same link that you have given me below, and it
    works just fine. I do not have a Slackware 9.1 system at my end, but I am
    pretty that this not so much to do with the system, but more to do with
    the download, and the file that you have. Also maybe the method you are
    using to extract. Just ensure that the file you downloaded is complete,
    and you did not face a network broken issue. The size of my download is --

    69498880 Oct 16 08:59 clientsdk.2.81.UC2.LINUX.tar
    Follow the following steps --
    1. extract the above tar file using -- tar xvf
    clientsdk.2.81.UC2.LINUX.tar
    this should result in one cpio - csdk.cpio and one doc directory.
    2. extract the cpio using -- cpio -icvdumB < csdk.cpio
    This results in the following files - clientsdkcontent.cpio,
    gls.cpio, installclientsdk, install_gls, install_msg, message.cpio
    YOU DO NOT NEED TO EXTRACT THESE OTHER CPIO FILES. Just install
    the product using installclientsdk after having the INFORMIXDIR set.

    3. set the INFORMIXDIR, and use %./installcliendsdk as super user, to
    install the product.

    I do not see the errors that you are seeing. Please ensure that
    there is enough space on your TMP (typically /tmp). The installation at my

    end goes on fine. Just make sure that the file size is OK, and the
    download did not end prematurely. Also, try using the above command to
    extract the cpio file. Remember the other cpio like message.cpio, gls.cpio

    need not be extracted. The installation does it on its own.

    Hope this helps. Please let me know if you still face some issues. Yes,
    just as a consolation, this product does address the errno problem, (only
    after you get it to install though! ) .

    Thanks and Regards,
    Abhi.
    There are 10 kinds of people,,,,,
    ..... those who understand binary notations, and those who don't.

    Thomas Ronayne <tronaREMOVETHISameritech.net>
    Sent by: [email]owner-informix-listiiug.org[/email]
    10/15/2003 05:53 AM
    Please respond to Thomas Ronayne

    To: [email]informix-listiiug.org[/email]
    cc:
    Subject: Re: Install CSDK and other Packages

  6. #6

    Abhishek Mathur wrote:
    > Hello Thomas,
    > I tried to use the same link that you have given me below, and it
    > works just fine. I do not have a Slackware 9.1 system at my end, but I am
    > pretty that this not so much to do with the system, but more to do with
    > the download, and the file that you have. Also maybe the method you are
    > using to extract. Just ensure that the file you downloaded is complete,
    > and you did not face a network broken issue. The size of my download is --
    >

    > 69498880 Oct 16 08:59 clientsdk.2.81.UC2.LINUX.tar
    > Follow the following steps --
    > 1. extract the above tar file using -- tar xvf
    > clientsdk.2.81.UC2.LINUX.tar
    > this should result in one cpio - csdk.cpio and one doc directory.
    > 2. extract the cpio using -- cpio -icvdumB < csdk.cpio
    > This results in the following files - clientsdkcontent.cpio,
    > gls.cpio, installclientsdk, install_gls, install_msg, message.cpio
    > YOU DO NOT NEED TO EXTRACT THESE OTHER CPIO FILES. Just install
    > the product using installclientsdk after having the INFORMIXDIR set.
    >
    > 3. set the INFORMIXDIR, and use %./installcliendsdk as super user, to
    > install the product.
    >
    > I do not see the errors that you are seeing. Please ensure that
    > there is enough space on your TMP (typically /tmp). The installation at my
    >
    > end goes on fine. Just make sure that the file size is OK, and the
    > download did not end prematurely. Also, try using the above command to
    > extract the cpio file. Remember the other cpio like message.cpio, gls.cpio
    >
    > need not be extracted. The installation does it on its own.
    >
    > Hope this helps. Please let me know if you still face some issues. Yes,
    > just as a consolation, this product does address the errno problem, (only
    > after you get it to install though! ) .
    >
    > Thanks and Regards,
    > Abhi.
    > There are 10 kinds of people,,,,,
    > .... those who understand binary notations, and those who don't.

    Abhishek:

    Thanks for your note.

    What I had to do was unpack the package on a Solaris machine, extract
    all the cpio archives, tar those archives, make a tar out of the whole
    thing, copy it to my Slackware machine, and install it.

    It installed, but -- it doesn't work.

    I keep getting error messages about byfill being previously defined.

    Nuts to this, I've reinstalled 7.30 and it works and my own ESQL/C
    programs compile and work, so to heck with it. I can't use Art Kagel's
    utilities, but I'll live.

    The problem is GNU cpio does NOT work properly with the cpio archives in
    the download files (which could, by the way, be gzipped and it wouldn't
    hurt anything).

    So, for now, I'll wait until somebody else works out the bugs...

    Thanks again.

    Thomas

    Thomas Ronayne Guest