B Boudet (news-02foobar.clara.co.uk) wrote:
: Hi,

: I have done a fresh install of Woody from a set of Debian 3.0 r1 CDs.

: Now I'd like to configure a firewall, for which I need either ipchains
: or iptables. It seems neither wants to play:

: > rootnetvista:~# ipchains -L
: > ipchains: Incompatible with this kernel
: > rootnetvista:~# iptables -L
: > modprobe: Can't locate module ip_tables
: > iptables v1.2.6a: can't initialize iptables table `filter': iptables who? (do you need to insmod?)
: > Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.
: > rootnetvista:~# uname -a
: > Linux netvista 2.2.20-idepci #1 Sat Apr 20 12:45:19 EST 2002 i686 unknown

: So it seems I have a 2.2 kernel, but ipchains complains. Anyone know
: what the problem there could be?

: However, iptables are the way to go apparently, so I tried to install
: a 2.4 kernel. From dselect I marked kernel-image-2.4.18-686 for
: installation. The install script said:

: > You are attempting to install an initrd kernel image (version 2.4.18-686)
: > This will not work unless you have configured your boot loader to use
: > initrd. (An initrd image is a kernel image that expects to use an INITial
: > Ram Disk to mount a minimal root file system into RAM and use that for
: > booting).
: > As a reminder, in order to configure lilo, you need to
: > add an 'initrd=/initrd.img' to the image=/vmlinuz
: > stanza of your /etc/lilo.conf

: So I made the necessary edit to lilo.conf:

: > image=/vmlinuz
: > label=Linux
: > initrd=/initrd.img
: > read-only
: > # restricted
: > # alias=1

: and run lilo:

: > rootnetvista:/etc# lilo
: > Fatal: open /initrd.img: No such file or directory

: What it said. The file does not exist, and it's not in /boot or
: /initrd either.

: So now I'm stuck. How can I either get ipchains working with the
: current kernel, or install a new kernel for iptables?

: This is a clean install of Woody from CDs, base packages only (plus
: emacs & bind9), with absolute minimal changes to config files.

: Cheers,
: -bernie.

If you don't have the symbolic link "/initrd.img", your system must not
need "initrd" to boot. Did you try to remove "initrd" from
"/etc/lilo.conf" and re-run "lilo -v"? My system has the symbolic
link "/initrd.img" because it boots from SCSI disk. Anyway, the real
file is located in "/boot".