Professional Web Applications Themes

Install Knoppix 3.1 - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hello Art Vandolay (<art_vandolayvaldolayindustries.net>) wrote: > Hope this doesn't sound too stupid. Someone gave me a copy of > Knoppix > 3.1 and I was wondering if there is a way to load this operating > system to a hard drive instead of running it from the CD-ROM drive. Yes, there is. Knoppix (at least recent versions) have a script called knx-hdinstall that will help you. Any help would be appreciated. There are HOWTOs and installation guides available on the web. Go to google and search for "knoppix hard disk installation" for the beginning. There is also an english forum: ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Install Knoppix 3.1

    Hello

    Art Vandolay (<art_vandolayvaldolayindustries.net>) wrote:
    > Hope this doesn't sound too stupid. Someone gave me a copy of
    > Knoppix
    > 3.1 and I was wondering if there is a way to load this operating
    > system to a hard drive instead of running it from the CD-ROM drive.
    Yes, there is. Knoppix (at least recent versions) have a script called
    knx-hdinstall that will help you.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    There are HOWTOs and installation guides available on the web. Go to
    google and search for "knoppix hard disk installation" for the
    beginning.

    There is also an english forum:
    <http://www.knoppix.net/forum/>

    best regards
    Andreas Janssen

    --
    Andreas Janssen
    [email]andreas.janssenbigfoot.com[/email]

  2. #2

    After starting Knoppix out of CD (live), press CTRL+ALT+F1, then type
    knx-hdinstall. Installation will start and then read and choose
    options.
    Swap and root partitions will bw needed, so create them in
    advance or during the installation (out of some partition or some unused
    space, how I did).
    Decide where and how LILO will be set, and that's all.

    Good luck!

    PS: question isn't stupid at all

    Art Vandolay wrote:
    > Hope this doesn't sound too stupid. Someone gave me a copy of Knoppix
    > 3.1 and I was wondering if there is a way to load this operating system to a
    > hard drive instead of running it from the CD-ROM drive. Any help would be
    > appreciated.

    ramble Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks for the information. Now my problem is the swap partition. Whatever
    I do I get the message swap file not 128mb script will be terminated. How
    do you set the size of the partition? Any help will be appreciated.
    "ramble" <ramblepost.com> wrote in message
    > After starting Knoppix out of CD (live), press CTRL+ALT+F1, then type
    > knx-hdinstall. Installation will start and then read and choose
    > options.
    > Swap and root partitions will bw needed, so create them in
    > advance or during the installation (out of some partition or some unused
    > space, how I did).
    > Decide where and how LILO will be set, and that's all.
    >
    > Good luck!
    >
    > PS: question isn't stupid at all
    >

    > Art Vandolay wrote:
    > > Hope this doesn't sound too stupid. Someone gave me a copy of
    Knoppix
    > > 3.1 and I was wondering if there is a way to load this operating system
    to a
    > > hard drive instead of running it from the CD-ROM drive. Any help would
    be
    > > appreciated.

    Art Vandolay Guest

  4. #4

    Well... I use swap partition of some 490 MB (created from Mandrake
    instalation - 256 MB of RAM) for Knoppix, too. Rough rule is to set
    the amount of swap twice as the RAM.
    > Whatever I do I get the message swap file not 128mb script
    > will be terminated.
    I don't know what this message means. If that message repeats after
    You set the size of swap partition at least 128 MB, then try to form
    the partition before installing Knoppix. Both swap and root (" / ")
    should be (I guess) up to 4 GB. In my case root is 2.2 or 2.8 GB.
    How much RAM is in that box?

    "Art Vandolay" <art_vandolayvaldolayindustries.net> pisao u poruci
    diskusione grupe:0Ds%a.324$Je.13721eagle.america.net...
    > Thanks for the information. Now my problem is the swap partition.
    Whatever
    > I do I get the message swap file not 128mb script will be
    terminated. How
    > do you set the size of the partition? Any help will be appreciated.
    > "ramble" <ramblepost.com> wrote in message
    > > After starting Knoppix out of CD (live), press CTRL+ALT+F1, then
    type
    > > knx-hdinstall. Installation will start and then read and choose
    > > options.
    > > Swap and root partitions will bw needed, so create them in
    > > advance or during the installation (out of some partition or some
    unused
    > > space, how I did).
    > > Decide where and how LILO will be set, and that's all.
    > >
    > > Good luck!
    > >
    > > PS: question isn't stupid at all
    > >

    > > Art Vandolay wrote:
    > > > Hope this doesn't sound too stupid. Someone gave me a copy
    of
    > Knoppix
    > > > 3.1 and I was wondering if there is a way to load this operating
    system
    > to a
    > > > hard drive instead of running it from the CD-ROM drive. Any
    help would
    > be
    > > > appreciated.

    ramble Guest

  5. #5

    Thanks for all the help. I got it installed on the hard drive after a
    few disastrous attempts. I think I had a partition on my drive that must
    have been small and didn't show up on cfdisk. Someone at work suggested the
    command sudo-cfdisk to create the partitions. It worked and I created the
    swap and root partitions and got it installed.
    One thing to look out for. When you are creating the knoppix and root
    accounts be aware that the cursor does not move when you type in your root
    password. I made a mistake there and I had to start over from scratch.
    The system would come up but I had entered something by mistake and could
    not get past the login.
    If anyone can suggest the best path to take to install a Lucent
    winmodem I would really appreciate it.
    > Well... I use swap partition of some 490 MB (created from Mandrake
    > instalation - 256 MB of RAM) for Knoppix, too. Rough rule is to set
    > the amount of swap twice as the RAM.
    > > Whatever I do I get the message swap file not 128mb script
    > > will be terminated.
    > I don't know what this message means. If that message repeats after
    > You set the size of swap partition at least 128 MB, then try to form
    > the partition before installing Knoppix. Both swap and root (" / ")
    > should be (I guess) up to 4 GB. In my case root is 2.2 or 2.8 GB.
    > How much RAM is in that box?
    >
    > "Art Vandolay" <art_vandolayvaldolayindustries.net> pisao u poruci
    > diskusione grupe:0Ds%a.324$Je.13721eagle.america.net...
    > > Thanks for the information. Now my problem is the swap partition.
    > Whatever
    > > I do I get the message swap file not 128mb script will be
    > terminated. How
    > > do you set the size of the partition? Any help will be appreciated.
    > > "ramble" <ramblepost.com> wrote in message
    > > > After starting Knoppix out of CD (live), press CTRL+ALT+F1, then
    > type
    > > > knx-hdinstall. Installation will start and then read and choose
    > > > options.
    > > > Swap and root partitions will bw needed, so create them in
    > > > advance or during the installation (out of some partition or some
    > unused
    > > > space, how I did).
    > > > Decide where and how LILO will be set, and that's all.
    > > >
    > > > Good luck!
    > > >
    > > > PS: question isn't stupid at all

    > of
    > > Knoppix