Professional Web Applications Themes

Install Linux - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I have decided i want to Try linux i have made a 2 Gig partition on my hardrive for it. i use windows XP can i install linux from my Primary partition to the 2nd one and if so how do i also make it dual boot and which linux should i get for a newbie like me...

  1. #1

    Default Install Linux

    I have decided i want to Try linux i have made a 2 Gig partition on my
    hardrive for it. i use windows XP can i install linux from my Primary
    partition to the 2nd one and if so how do i also make it dual boot and
    which linux should i get for a newbie like me

    CHristopher Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Install Linux

    On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 05:22:58 GMT, CHristopher Baird wrote:

    I was going to say Mandrake, but 2 gig would be kinda small if you
    wanted to load all the packages.

    The best one is the one that fits your needs.

    Here, read for yourself.
    http://www.distrowatch.com/ and
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=best+linux+distribution

    and http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

    and/or buy them all

    Mandrake has more utilities and a much
    better user friendly installer.

    Pick custom/expert install if you do not want to wipe
    your disk. Load cd and read the docs with your browser.

    Install docs are on the Mandrake cd and readable via Micro$not.

    For hardware compatibility
    http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/fhard.php3
    http://www.redhat.com/corp/support/hardware/index.html
    Bit Guest

  3. #3

    On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 05:22:58 GMT, CHristopher Baird <com> wrote:

    Best thing to do is put out the $25 for the full CD set.

    May as well start with Redhat.

    AC

    Alan Guest

  4. #4

    CHristopher Baird wrote:

    First of all, you will want (at least) two partitions for Linux: one for
    swap, and one for everything else. One way people estimate the size of
    the swap partition is to just use double your RAM size. You can get by
    without a swap partition, but you probably will not like it.

    I know it is possible to install Linux from another partition on a disk
    drive, but I have never done it and I do not know how. If you choose to
    get a distribution from Red Hat, the instruction book will tell you how
    to do that.

    2Gig is kind of small for most Linux distributions these days. If you
    have never used UNIX or Linux before, chances are you will want a GUI,
    and that takes quite a bit of space. You would probably be better off
    with 4 GBytes. Consider buying another hard drive and install Linux on
    that. I do not believe you could get a hard drive smaller than about 60
    GBytes these days, and for IDE (and its friends), they would cost under
    $100. I am putting together a new machine that has an 80 GByte Maxtor
    drive with 8MByte cache that was about $90 including shipping. (The
    machine also has 4 20GByte Ultra/320 SCSI hard drives.)

    Presumably there are distributions of Linux that will take less space.
    One way to save space if you get one like Red Hat 9.0 or Fedora, is to
    not load anything you will not need. One web browser should be enough,
    for example. If you do not need spreadsheets, do not install them, etc.
    If you want a GUI, pick one (KDE and GNOME are the most popular, but
    resource hungry) and do not install the other.

    Another way to save some space, if you are willing to do a lot of
    learning all at once, is to omit the X Window system, GNOME, and KDE,
    and use a command line interface, probably the bash shell. Even if you
    do use a GUI, you will probably open up at least one window within which
    you run a CLI anyhow.

    /V\ Registered Machine 73926.
    ^^-^^ 9:10am up 16 days, 21:54, 2 users, load average: 2.41, 2.27, 2.16

    Jean-David Guest

  5. #5

    Alan Connor wrote in message ...
    <com> wrote: [/ref]
    on my [/ref]
    Primary [/ref]
    and

    >Best thing to do is put out the $25 for the full CD set.
    >
    >May as well start with Redhat.
    >AC[/ref]

    Knoppix! $1.us. Just have it save the configs to hard drive, a couple
    Meg should do.
    http://linuxcdrs.com
    You just boot the CD and you have an instant Debian Linux system with
    all the bells and whistles (the disk is compressed, about 2 Gig of
    apps.).

    --
    Bob R
    POVrookie