Professional Web Applications Themes

Install to 2nd hd, BIOS, GRUB questions - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hi folks. Newbie questions (I've searched the archives but perhaps missed the answers). Goal: Install Red Hat 9 on 4 GB slave drive (FAT 32 formatted, empty) in system with Windows 98 SE on 3 GB master; switch BIOS to boot from second hard drive with GRUB only on slave controlling which operating system boots. Will this work? If the master fails will Red Hat still boot or is there a simple way to recover and get Red Hat to boot from the then single 4 GB hard drive? Suggestions, given that the above would be my preferred approach, if ...

  1. #1

    Default Install to 2nd hd, BIOS, GRUB questions

    Hi folks. Newbie questions (I've searched the archives but perhaps
    missed the answers).

    Goal: Install Red Hat 9 on 4 GB slave drive (FAT 32 formatted, empty) in
    system with Windows 98 SE on 3 GB master; switch BIOS to boot from second
    hard drive with GRUB only on slave controlling which operating system
    boots.

    Will this work? If the master fails will Red Hat still boot or is there
    a simple way to recover and get Red Hat to boot from the then single 4 GB
    hard drive? Suggestions, given that the above would be my preferred
    approach, if possible?

    The rest can be skipped or read as you prefer.

    Background (off-topic can be moved wherever you suggest or e-mail; any
    questions are fine):

    The target system is my wife's computer. She's willing to try Red Hat (I
    think Linux would serve her better on her older IBM/CYRIX 266 and I would
    like to learn) but I would trust the 4 GB hard drive over the 3 GB which
    has been exhibiting symptoms of eventual failure. All data is backed up
    so failure of Windows drive can be recovered from. $ is limited so
    existing hardware is it, for now. Worst case, her backup data can be
    recovered to my Windows XP machine for her use. If the master fails
    after she has become familiar with Red Hat Linux and the software,
    staying with just Linux would be fine for her. Both machines are
    networked on a home router. I cannot physically access her computer but
    can use VNC. More...

    I'm sufficiently disabled that I must use speech recognition software for
    dictation and much command and control, so I am stuck with Windows for
    now. However, using VNC I can control everything by voice on a second
    computer running VNC server from my computer (safe enough over LAN). So,
    once Linux is installed on her computer and running VNC server I should
    be able to do pretty much anything, help her learn and myself learn.
    I'll switch to Linux when speech recognition software is available (I
    hope, soon).

    Her system is able to boot from either drive or CD-ROM. ASUS P5ab. 160
    MB RAM, more available if needed.

    My experience: first computer 1982. Stuck with Windows XP but willing to
    experiment using VNC. I don't much care for coding but I'm willing to
    get into scripts etc. as needed. My real programming experience is very
    dated (BASIC, Z80-A assembler, fairly complex DOS batch files, scripts in
    various macro languages). Old dog. :-)

    [Dictated using speech recognition technology. There may be air oars]

    --
    Replace obvious bit with sympatico to reply privately
    Bruce Couper Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Install to 2nd hd, BIOS, GRUB questions

    Bruce Couper wrote:
    > Hi folks. Newbie questions (I've searched the archives but perhaps
    > missed the answers).
    >
    > Goal: Install Red Hat 9 on 4 GB slave drive (FAT 32 formatted, empty) in
    > system with Windows 98 SE on 3 GB master; switch BIOS to boot from second
    > hard drive with GRUB only on slave controlling which operating system
    > boots.
    >
    > Will this work? If the master fails will Red Hat still boot or is there
    > a simple way to recover and get Red Hat to boot from the then single 4 GB
    > hard drive? Suggestions, given that the above would be my preferred
    > approach, if possible?
    >
    > The rest can be skipped or read as you prefer.
    >
    > Background (off-topic can be moved wherever you suggest or e-mail; any
    > questions are fine):
    >
    > The target system is my wife's computer. She's willing to try Red Hat (I
    > think Linux would serve her better on her older IBM/CYRIX 266 and I would
    > like to learn) but I would trust the 4 GB hard drive over the 3 GB which
    > has been exhibiting symptoms of eventual failure. All data is backed up
    > so failure of Windows drive can be recovered from. $ is limited so
    > existing hardware is it, for now. Worst case, her backup data can be
    > recovered to my Windows XP machine for her use. If the master fails
    > after she has become familiar with Red Hat Linux and the software,
    > staying with just Linux would be fine for her. Both machines are
    > networked on a home router. I cannot physically access her computer but
    > can use VNC. More...
    >
    > I'm sufficiently disabled that I must use speech recognition software for
    > dictation and much command and control, so I am stuck with Windows for
    > now. However, using VNC I can control everything by voice on a second
    > computer running VNC server from my computer (safe enough over LAN). So,
    > once Linux is installed on her computer and running VNC server I should
    > be able to do pretty much anything, help her learn and myself learn.
    > I'll switch to Linux when speech recognition software is available (I
    > hope, soon).
    >
    > Her system is able to boot from either drive or CD-ROM. ASUS P5ab. 160
    > MB RAM, more available if needed.
    >
    > My experience: first computer 1982. Stuck with Windows XP but willing to
    > experiment using VNC. I don't much care for coding but I'm willing to
    > get into scripts etc. as needed. My real programming experience is very
    > dated (BASIC, Z80-A assembler, fairly complex DOS batch files, scripts in
    > various macro languages). Old dog. :-)
    >
    > [Dictated using speech recognition technology. There may be air oars]

    LILO is normally installed to the MBR of your master drive, so if the master
    fails, nothing will boot. You should however still be able to boot Red Hat
    from a floppy.

    If you are installing Red Hat only to the slave, it will probably install
    LILO to the MBR on the slave (/dev/hdb). It is claimed that LILO can be on
    any HD, but I am not sure. It may however be possible, if the master drive
    fails, to swap such a drive to be the master, and have a ready made LILO.

    HTH,

    Doug.
    --
    Registered Linux user No. 277548.
    Linux: in a world without fences, who needs Gates?

  3. #3

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    > If you are installing Red Hat only to the slave, it will probably install
    > LILO to the MBR on the slave (/dev/hdb). It is claimed that LILO can be
    > on
    > any HD, but I am not sure. It may however be possible, if the master
    > drive fails, to swap such a drive to be the master, and have a ready made
    > LILO.
    This requires a certain amount of care,
    as described very well, IMHO, in the Hard-Disk-Upgrade HOWTO
    (or mini-HOWTO).

    --
    Timothy Murphy
    e-mail: [email]timbirdsnest.maths.tcd.ie[/email]

  4. #4

    Doug Laidlaw <laidlawsmyaccess.com.au> wrote in
    > LILO is normally installed to the MBR of your master drive, so if the
    > master fails, nothing will boot. You should however still be able to
    > boot Red Hat from a floppy.
    >
    > If you are installing Red Hat only to the slave, it will probably
    > install LILO to the MBR on the slave (/dev/hdb). It is claimed that
    > LILO can be on any HD, but I am not sure. It may however be possible,
    > if the master drive fails, to swap such a drive to be the master, and
    > have a ready made LILO.
    >
    > HTH,
    >
    > Doug.
    Thanks, Doug. I appreciate it.

    Why can't really do any harm trying this but your reminder to have a boot
    floppy is good. I'll post back here if I discover anything interesting.

    Take care