Professional Web Applications Themes

Install_flash_player.exe won't run - Macromedia Flash Player

Hi, I use the latest version of Firefox, and until a few weeks ago I was running it okay with the flash plugin. Then I went to download a later version of the flash plugin. When I tried to run install_flash_player.exe, it ran for a second and then quit right away, and now I can't look at flash pages anymore. I've tried re-running install_flash_player.exe, but it starts and then stops (I can see it appear and then disappear in the task manager). There are no messages in the Event Log. Any ideas about how to fix this? Thanks, Steve...

  1. #1

    Default Install_flash_player.exe won't run

    Hi,

    I use the latest version of Firefox, and until a few weeks ago I was running
    it okay with the flash plugin. Then I went to download a later version of
    the flash plugin.

    When I tried to run install_flash_player.exe, it ran for a second and then
    quit right away, and now I can't look at flash pages anymore. I've tried
    re-running install_flash_player.exe, but it starts and then stops (I can see
    it appear and then disappear in the task manager). There are no messages in
    the Event Log.

    Any ideas about how to fix this?

    Thanks,
    Steve

    Steve Harclerode Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Install_flash_player.exe won't run

    This is exactly my problem. Any help would be appreciated.
    JTBT Guest

  3. #3

    I am also having the same problem. After installing new version of Firefox (ver
    1.5) I had attempted to install the self-contained installer, but two things
    have happenned.

    1. Installer unpacks files, but does not load the "GetFlash" file. I had to
    manually run it, and it is located in c:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\Plugins

    2. After this loads, it attempts to download 800k file(s) and once it reaches
    100% comes up with the following error:

    "An error has occurred while downloading the installer. Please make sure
    you are connected to the internet and try again. :
    Have disabled Norton Internet Security 2004, GetRight, windows included
    firewall. Retried the installer a few times, and get same above error message.

    nrhora Guest

  4. #4

    There seems to be some kind of compatibilty issue with Firefox 1.5 and Flash
    Player 8. Till they get it fixed I would reccommend using the uninstall
    avalible for Flash 8 avalible
    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_14266[/url] Flash 7
    works fine for me on Firefox 1.5. Hope this helps you out.

    fenixfyre Guest

  5. #5

    An off topic question but how come whenever I try downloading from this site
    the speed is ungodly slow :/. I cannot delete the "Install_flash_player.exe"
    because it keeps saying its being used by another program. I cannot find this
    other program to shut it off and I went in safe mode and still nothing. But Im
    trying to unstall it if I have it already just to see if thats it.

    elcards Guest

  6. #6

    Trying to use the installer for flashplayer 8 on XP SP1 for Firefox 1.0.6 also
    resulted in the installer exiting
    without feedback to the user. Internet was connected, no connection attempt
    was made. The reason
    remains unknown to me, as no support page gave information on this problem. I
    recall that I had similar
    and continued problems before with the Shockwave Installers. (Sometimes I
    wonder if its worth the time
    and effort. A simple direct download would save me hours).
    Thank you for the hint about using the shockwave player version 7!!!! This now
    runs again, after I uninstalled
    the player, tried to install 8 (installer didnt run,as noted above.
    GetFlash.exe from the Firefox program folder
    did some downloading, 800K, but always aborted with an error, asking me if I
    was connected to the internet).
    Strangely there was a plugin version 8 in the Firefox plugin folder at that
    time then. I deleted that manually,
    as the Windows Add/Remove Program Panel didnt show Shockwas as being
    installed), and then reinstalled
    version 7 using that installer.
    Annoyingly complex support links on the macromedia site did not help me speed
    up the process either.
    Well, i will stick with version 7 for now.
    A continued annoyance is the update button that keeps re-appearing in my
    Windows Taskbar...
    How do i get rid of that now?

    frred2 Guest

  7. #7

    Try to uninstall the current version, and download the newer version from adobe.
    ankouny Guest