Professional Web Applications Themes

Installation! - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hey, can someone help me install readhat linux 9.0 - i086.. I have downloaded 3 discs or pacakages on my laptop. I looked up for help but I m totally lost. I need to partition my hard drive. Can someone explain me in detail how to do it. If you don't mind I can also call you. Thanks. Jatin Patel College of Computing Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta Georgia, 30332 Email: [email]gte716wprism.gatech.edu[/email]...

  1. #1

    Default Installation!

    Hey, can someone help me install readhat linux 9.0 - i086.. I have
    downloaded 3 discs or pacakages on my laptop. I looked up for help but I m
    totally lost. I need to partition my hard drive. Can someone explain me in
    detail how to do it. If you don't mind I can also call you. Thanks.

    Jatin Patel
    College of Computing
    Email: [email]gte716wprism.gatech.edu[/email]

    Jatin Thakor Patel Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Installation!

    [url]http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/install-guide/s1-diskpartsetup.html[/url]

    --
    David Dorward [url]http://david.us-lot.org/[/url]
    Redesign in progress: [url]http://stone.thecoreworlds.net/[/url]

  3. #3

    [url]http://www.linuxmigration.com/quickref/install/media.html[/url]
    the first thing you will need is a boot floppy - above.
    The rest is pretty starightfoward.

    I'm brand new to Linux and so far have managed to install red hat 9 but that
    is about all.
    [url]www.Google.com[/url] is still your best friend (as always) But only if you
    understand the jargon.

    I'm familar withthe windows environment but Linux is so completly different.
    What is meant by "login as root"
    Login into what? with what?

    good luck with your installation.

    "Jatin Thakor Patel" <gte716wmail.gatech.edu> wrote in message
    > Hey, can someone help me install readhat linux 9.0 - i086.. I have
    > downloaded 3 discs or pacakages on my laptop. I looked up for help but I m
    > totally lost. I need to partition my hard drive. Can someone explain me in
    > detail how to do it. If you don't mind I can also call you. Thanks.
    >
    > Jatin Patel
    > College of Computing
    > Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta Georgia, 30332
    > Email: [email]gte716wprism.gatech.edu[/email]

    cp1c Guest

  4. #4

    cp1c wrote:
    > I'm familar withthe windows environment but Linux is so completly
    > different. What is meant by "login as root"
    [url]http://wombat.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/foldoc.cgi?query=login&action=Search[/url]

    "login
    <jargon> (Or "log in", "log on", "logon") To start a session with a system,
    usually by giving a user name and password as a means of user
    authentication."
    > Login into what?
    Into the Linux operating system.
    > with what?
    Enter the username "root" and the root password you defined during the
    installation process into the system "login:" prompt or the graphical login
    manager.

    --
    Markku Kolkka
    [email]markku.kolkkaiki.fi[/email]

  5. #5

    > > Login into what?
    >
    > Into the Linux operating system.
    >
    > > with what?
    >
    > Enter the username "root" and the root password you defined during the
    > installation process into the system "login:" prompt or the graphical
    login
    > manager.
    >
    > --
    > Markku Kolkka
    > [email]markku.kolkkaiki.fi[/email]
    Markku.

    thanks for your help - that made some sense and now I can see the difference
    between "root" and another profile that I must have created as part of the
    installation.

    I am having trouble with installing a winmodem/Linmodem.

    I have found what I hope is the correct driver for my lucent winmodem
    (Linux586.zip) which includes a readme file the driver and an installer (I
    think).

    INSTALLING THE Lucent Modem Driver

    Following are the steps to follow to INSTALL the Lucent modem
    driver for Linux.

    Step 1
    To install the Lucent modem driver in LINUX, you need to run
    the install script "./ltinst" from the command prompt.
    To install the modem driver you must be logged on as root.

    Step 2
    To use the Lucent modem, you can configure "minicom" for the
    modem device.
    Enter "minicom -s" at the command prompt.
    Choose "Serial Port Setup"
    For "Serial Device" choose "/dev/modem"
    Save settings and start using the modem with minicom.

    UNINSTALLING THE MODEM DRIVER

    Following are the steps to follow to uninstall the Lucent driver
    for Linux.

    Step 1
    To uninstall the Lucent modem driver in LINUX, you need to run
    the uninstallation script "./ltuninst" from the command prompt.
    To uninstall the modem driver you must be logged on as root.

    There is talk of a command promt - is this found in a "terminal" window?
    what is "minicom" and how can I use it to detect/setup/use the modem.

    I know I'm green (bright green in the Linux world) - any help here will be
    much appreciated. I was hoping that Lindows was at a point where it was
    about as easy to use as Windows is but too me it is a long way off that.

    cp1c Guest

  6. #6

    cp1c wrote:
    > INSTALLING THE Lucent Modem Driver
    >
    > Following are the steps to follow to INSTALL the Lucent modem
    > driver for Linux.
    >
    > Step 1
    > To install the Lucent modem driver in LINUX, you need to run
    > the install script "./ltinst" from the command prompt.
    > To install the modem driver you must be logged on as root.
    >
    > Step 2
    > To use the Lucent modem, you can configure "minicom" for the
    > modem device.
    > Enter "minicom -s" at the command prompt.
    > Choose "Serial Port Setup"
    > For "Serial Device" choose "/dev/modem"
    > Save settings and start using the modem with minicom.
    >
    > There is talk of a command promt - is this found in a "terminal" window?
    Yes.
    > what is "minicom"
    It's a communications program. "man minicom" in the command prompt will give
    you more information.
    > and how can I use it to detect/setup/use the modem.
    Exactly as Step 2 in the above instructions tells you.

  7. #7

    > > what is "minicom"
    > It's a communications program. "man minicom" in the command prompt will
    give
    > you more information.
    >
    > > and how can I use it to detect/setup/use the modem.
    > Exactly as Step 2 in the above instructions tells you.

    Thanks for your help.
    Mincom didn't work however and I just suprised by how user unfriendly the
    whole Linux environment still is. I had hoped that it was a lot closer to
    the windows environment by all the press that Linux has been getting in last
    few years but it is still a long way off. At least I now have a new
    appreciation for Windows and the effort that must have gone into making it
    what it is.

    cp1c Guest

  8. #8

    cp1c wrote:
    > Thanks for your help.
    > Mincom didn't work however and I just suprised by how user unfriendly the
    > whole Linux environment still is. I had hoped that it was a lot closer to
    > the windows environment by all the press that Linux has been getting in
    > last few years but it is still a long way off. At least I now have a new
    > appreciation for Windows and the effort that must have gone into making it
    > what it is.
    Who didn't see this coming?
    Jim Bowering Guest

  9. #9

    [snip]

    I think everyone saw it a mile off. Doubtless his house is also filled
    with alarm clocks and video recorders that all blink "12:00"...
    Xyerp Guest