Professional Web Applications Themes

Installation looping at Partition Hard Drive step (Debian) - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I am installing Debian Linux on a new server. When I reach the "Partition Hard Drive" section of the installation I get into a loop. After setting up the Primary and Logical partitions, I write the partition information then exit the utility. But instead of moving me to the next step in the installation, I am again instructed to go into the Partition Hard Disk utility. I have done everything there that I am supposed to do, AFAIK. I am new to Linux, so I am probably missing something. Can anyone help?...

  1. #1

    Default Installation looping at Partition Hard Drive step (Debian)

    I am installing Debian Linux on a new server. When I reach the
    "Partition Hard Drive" section of the installation I get into a loop.
    After setting up the Primary and Logical partitions, I write the
    partition information then exit the utility. But instead of moving me to
    the next step in the installation, I am again instructed to go into the
    Partition Hard Disk utility. I have done everything there that I am
    supposed to do, AFAIK. I am new to Linux, so I am probably missing
    something. Can anyone help?

    Tom Guest

  2. #2

    On Wednesday 05 November 2003 13:19, Tom wrote:

    Give a step by step description of how you are partitioning your HD.
    You are probably doing something wrong, and that's why you keep getting
    sent back to partitioning.

    --
    Stefan Patric
    NoLife Polymath Group

  3. #3

    Stefan Patric wrote:

    I first prepared the hard drive by using Fdisk to set up one large
    partition, then I formatted the partition (Windows98).
    I set up the CMOS to boot from the CD-ROM with the Debian disk1 in the
    drive.
    I started the computer and it booted from the Debian CD.
    I hit Return to initiate the installation process.
    Chose English and set up Qwerty keyboard.
    Next came "Partition Hard Disk". First curiosity is that the explanatory
    text for this stage of installation refers to setting up Linux "Native"
    and "Swap" partitions. But the actual terms used in the partitioning
    program are "Primary" and "Logical". (After setting up partitions, when
    I chose to view the partition information, the partitions were listed as
    "Native"- no "Swap", although I had set up a second partition to
    supposedly be a swap partition- I thought.
    I started the partitioning by deleting the DOS partition I created with
    Fdisk. The total size of the drive is 3,666MB. I created a 2,666MB
    Primary partition and set it at the beginning of the drive, made it a
    Linux file type and flagged it as bootable. I then created a 999MB
    Logical partition, that I hoped would be used as a Swap partition. I
    wrote the partition information to the disk and quit the partition
    utility. But when I get back into the installation screen I am still
    being pointed to the Partition Disk routine. Of the options listed in
    the partition utility, it seems that I executed the options that
    pertained to what I was doing, so I can't fugure out why it keeps
    sending me back there.
    I am completely new to Linux and this is just a prcatice system I am
    setting up to familiarize mayself with it before we impliment a file
    server solution. Thanks for your help!

    Tom Guest

  4. #4

    The terms "Primary" and "Logical" do NOT map to "Native" and "Swap". These
    are separate things.
    When you create the 2nd partition, make it a primary in stead of a logical.
    Make sure the type is 82 (Linux swap). Linux native has 83. Depending on the
    version of fdisk this works differently, but I think you can use 't' after
    creating the partition to change the type. If your version of fdisk does not
    have the 't' option, use 'C' to create the partition which should ask for the
    type.

    Also, normally your swap partition size is 2x you memory size.

    Martin

    Tom wrote:

    > I first prepared the hard drive by using Fdisk to set up one large
    > partition, then I formatted the partition (Windows98).
    > I set up the CMOS to boot from the CD-ROM with the Debian disk1 in the
    > drive.
    > I started the computer and it booted from the Debian CD.
    > I hit Return to initiate the installation process.
    > Chose English and set up Qwerty keyboard.
    > Next came "Partition Hard Disk". First curiosity is that the explanatory
    > text for this stage of installation refers to setting up Linux "Native"
    > and "Swap" partitions. But the actual terms used in the partitioning
    > program are "Primary" and "Logical". (After setting up partitions, when
    > I chose to view the partition information, the partitions were listed as
    > "Native"- no "Swap", although I had set up a second partition to
    > supposedly be a swap partition- I thought.
    > I started the partitioning by deleting the DOS partition I created with
    > Fdisk. The total size of the drive is 3,666MB. I created a 2,666MB
    > Primary partition and set it at the beginning of the drive, made it a
    > Linux file type and flagged it as bootable. I then created a 999MB
    > Logical partition, that I hoped would be used as a Swap partition. I
    > wrote the partition information to the disk and quit the partition
    > utility. But when I get back into the installation screen I am still
    > being pointed to the Partition Disk routine. Of the options listed in
    > the partition utility, it seems that I executed the options that
    > pertained to what I was doing, so I can't fugure out why it keeps
    > sending me back there.
    > I am completely new to Linux and this is just a prcatice system I am
    > setting up to familiarize mayself with it before we impliment a file
    > server solution. Thanks for your help!
    >[/ref]

    Errandir Guest