Professional Web Applications Themes

Installation problems in XP Home - Adobe Photoshop Elements

I'm having problems installing on XP (home) to. I'm trying to install on my brothers computer (I succesfully have my own copy on my machine) but everytime I click the icon to start I get the following message 'The Handle Is Invalid'! I've rang Adobe and they suggested installing in safe mode but no luck, they also couldn't tell me what the offending 'handle' was (anyone know???). I;ve disabled the anti virus but still the same. I even tried installing my disc, which works fine on my XP machine, but get the same error message. Any ideas? Thanks Matt...

  1. #1

    Default Installation problems in XP Home

    I'm having problems installing on XP (home) to. I'm trying to install on my brothers computer (I succesfully have my own copy on my machine) but everytime I click the icon to start I get the following message 'The Handle Is Invalid'! I've rang Adobe and they suggested installing in safe mode but no luck, they also couldn't tell me what the offending 'handle' was (anyone know???). I;ve disabled the anti virus but still the same. I even tried installing my disc, which works fine on my XP machine, but get the same error message. Any ideas?

    Thanks

    Matt
    Matt44 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Installation problems in XP Home

    Matt,

    I've never seen that message either on install. I'm sure if you have spoken to Adobe Tech Support you have tried most of the usual methods, but some possible suggestions to try would be to copy the installer from the CD to the hard drive, or possibly look for a hardware conflict by uninstalling peripheral devices one at a time and trying the install. Other than that I don't really have any inventive ideas.

    Rich
    Richard Coencas Guest

  3. #3

    And I'd guess that if Rich's idea doesn't work, Matt, you might try either getting a new Elements CD from the Epson people, OR purchase the full version (after rebates it should be around $49) of Elements. Your CD just may have a corruption for some reason.

    Bob
    BobHill Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks guys,

    As I said though I've tried with two ellements discs now and get the same problem..

    Matt
    Matt44 Guest

  5. #5

    Matt,

    Just grasping at straws here, have you tried accessing the installer by navigating to it with the browse option beginning with Start>Run, rather than probably having your Browser open to locate the CD drive?

    Ever had any Walcom tablet drivers installed?
    Nancy S Guest

  6. #6

    The Wacoms have been known to be problems when installing. I'd suggest taking it off, including any hidden files, then installing Elements and testing it. If it's OK, reinstall the tablet software.

    Don't ask WHY this happens, because if I ever knew, I don't remember any more. If you're having a conflict and have the tablet, though, try this approach next.
    Beth Haney Guest

  7. #7

    Thanks Beth,

    Unistalled the wacom and elements installed perfectly. Thanks again for the tip.

    Matt
    Matt44 Guest

  8. #8

    Hooray!!! I got one! Thanks for reporting back, Matt. Maybe it'll be helpful for someone else.
    Beth Haney Guest

  9. #9

    I'm getting the same problem, after installation when I click on the desktop icon I get "the handle is invalid". Really fed up with this, no-one seems to know how to resolve this. Come on Adobe!!! what is going on?
    Sandra_Honeyman@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Sandra, this was solved for Matt. It was a Wacom tablet causing the problem. Does that apply to you?
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest