Professional Web Applications Themes

installation woes...nothing but a blinking cursor - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I'm having trouble getting suse installed on a dual boot system, any pointers would sure be appreciated. I have XP on a Dell D800. I've partitioned the drive to leave room for the Suse install. I purchased Suse 9.0 Pro, and went through the install. I elected to put the boot loader (grub) on the root partition rather than the MBR. I have two problems. 1. After it passed the part for specifying the monitor, the screen just scrambled. My D800 has 1920x1200 resolution, I didn't see an option for that, so just took the 1240x780 (or something like that) ...

  1. #1

    Default installation woes...nothing but a blinking cursor

    I'm having trouble getting
    suse installed on a dual boot system, any pointers would sure be
    appreciated.

    I have XP on a Dell D800. I've partitioned the drive to leave room for
    the Suse install. I purchased Suse 9.0 Pro, and went through the
    install. I elected to put the boot loader (grub) on the root partition
    rather than the MBR. I have two problems.

    1. After it passed the part for specifying the monitor, the screen just
    scrambled. My D800 has 1920x1200 resolution, I didn't see an option for
    that, so just took the 1240x780 (or something like that) that it
    offered. Then, scrambled.

    2. I rebooted, and after the startup screen (when it says f2 for setup
    and f12 for boot screen), I just get a flashing cursor in the top left
    of the screen...no winXP, no Linux, nothing.

    Thanks for any help in advance....

    Jim
    Jim Guest

  2. #2

    On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 23:13:28 -0700,
    Jim Kroger <com> wrote:

    You can use fdisk to set the first partition to active, which will allow
    you to boot windows.

    I haven't tried Suse, setting up X is a nightmare if it doesn't work out
    of the box. You'll need to work on that.

    You could try:

    Ctrl+Alt+F1

    to get to a text console and run the appropriate commands to configure
    X.

    If that works do an

    init 3

    I'd recommend editting /etc/inittab, search for the default= line and
    change the number to a 3 which will require you to use startx to start
    X after logging in until you get X configured properly.

    In runlevel 3, Ctrl+Alt+Bksp should kill X, Ctrl+Alt+'+'(on the numeric
    keypad) may cycle through different graphic modes. There are options to
    disable these keys and again I'm unfamiliar with Suse, so YMMV.

    Michael C.
    --
    com http://mcsuper5.freeshell.org/

    Michael Guest

  3. #3

    Jim Kroger wrote:

    My Dell Inspiron Labtop only works at 1024x768, even under windoze,
    possibly your hardware will only work at preferred resolutions as well.
    Easiest wasy is to reinstall SuSe again, if the graphical SuSe installation
    works you will be installing in a choice of options, either 1024x768,
    800x600 or 640x480. Suse uses sax2 to configure the installation system.
    As you have been this far before, take note of the resolution you are using
    for installation. When the sax screen starts you can specify resoution,
    monitor, graphics card. Specify resolution first and use a setting you know
    your hardware works at, then specify monitor and graphics card. You should
    then get a blue screen (after a few seconds) which you can size and position
    the screen and then save settings. Refer also to the chapter in the admin
    manual. If you still have problems ask again on alt.os.suse.linux
    anc Guest

  4. #4

    Hi,

    I've had problems like this in the past, because some Linux installers don't
    do some essential stuff (like writing the boot record) until you've
    configured X-Windows, but there are often problems with the X configuration
    not understanding the hardware, which leads to an incomplete setup process
    like you're observing. I've not used SuSE, but this used to be the case with
    Red Hat (though the current editions have been changed so that X is the last
    thing to configure and everything else has been finalised first, so you're
    safe if it s up whilst configuring X).

    My personal suggestion is that you try Red Hat 9 instead of SuSE. I have
    this running perfectly happily on my D800, and there were no problems with
    the installation. This said, you need to be aware that you'll have to do
    some manual stuff to make things like the Broadcom Ethernet controller work,
    and to get the best resolution on the display. Fortunately, there's an
    excellent walkthrough of how to do all this at
    http://www.mikehardy.net/linux_latitude_d800/.

    With regard to your "won't boot at all" problem, you could try running the
    XP installer in "repair" mode (I've never done this with XP Pro, but I have
    done it with W2000 Pro and a ed directory index, and it worked just
    peachy). Or you could get yourself a copy of Partition Magic and use that to
    muck about with the boot record.

    Hope this helps,

    D.

    "Jim Kroger" <com> wrote in message

    David Guest

  5. #5

    anc <net> wrote in message news:<3ff02794$0$25957$zen.co.uk>...

    > My Dell Inspiron Labtop only works at 1024x768, even under windoze,
    > possibly your hardware will only work at preferred resolutions as well.
    > Easiest wasy is to reinstall SuSe again, if the graphical SuSe installation
    > works you will be installing in a choice of options, either 1024x768,
    > 800x600 or 640x480. Suse uses sax2 to configure the installation system.
    > As you have been this far before, take note of the resolution you are using
    > for installation. When the sax screen starts you can specify resoution,
    > monitor, graphics card. Specify resolution first and use a setting you know
    > your hardware works at, then specify monitor and graphics card. You should
    > then get a blue screen (after a few seconds) which you can size and position
    > the screen and then save settings. Refer also to the chapter in the admin
    > manual. If you still have problems ask again on alt.os.suse.linux[/ref]

    Thanks for the reply. My screen on the D800 is a 1920x1200 with Nvidia
    card.
    When I had a 1600x1200 c810 and c840 running winxp and redhat I just
    downloaded the driver from nvidia. Under winxp I can run all
    resolutions. Under red hat I only got the 1600x1200 but that is what I
    wanted.

    Do you know how sax works with the nvidia driver (comes as an rpm)?

    Thanks.
    Jim
    Jim Guest

  6. #6

    "David Cartwright" <com> wrote in message news:<bspft1$k4t$btinternet.com>...

    Say, thanks very much. I don't like what RH has done to KDE so I'll
    struggle with Suse a bit longer. There's a guy in Dell Gold tech
    support who says he can help me get it going. But if that doesn't work
    I'll just try RH 9 I have it). Thanks for the web site.

    As for XP I just reinstallled it and can boot XP fine now.

    Thanks again,
    Jim
    Jim Guest

  7. #7

    Jim Kroger wrote:

    I run SuSe 8.2 but it is the same principle for Suse9. Due to license
    restrictions, the accelereated Nvidia driver must be downloaded separately
    from the nvidia site. But first you must be able to get a stable working
    display with SuSe. Use sax, remove unwanted resolutions and start with
    1600x1200. Once that is stable, download the rpm from www.nvidia.com for
    suse 9 and change its permissions to make it executable. From then, its
    ctrl-alt-f1 (or other console) then init 3, run the script as the nvidia
    instructions, sax2 again, then back to init 5. You should get an nvidia
    splash screen when 3D acceleration is working.
    anc Guest