Professional Web Applications Themes

Installed Linspire on multi-boot drive; now no Ubuntu in boot menu - Ubuntu

I am a Linux newbie. My wife gave me a Linux for Dummies book for Christmas, and it came with a DVD full of distros. I have a 40Gb drive which I wiped clean, then using BootItNG, I created a 40GB extended partition (no primary), and within that, four logical drive. One, hda8, is a small swap file drive. The other three divvy up the remaining space equally. I installed Fedora Core 5.0 to hda5 successfully, and I installed Ubuntu 6.06 to hda6 using the downloaded Alt install CD. Both use Grub. Then I made my mistake and installed Linspire ...

  1. #1

    Default Installed Linspire on multi-boot drive; now no Ubuntu in boot menu

    I am a Linux newbie. My wife gave me a Linux for Dummies book for
    Christmas, and it came with a DVD full of distros. I have a 40Gb drive
    which I wiped clean, then using BootItNG, I created a 40GB extended
    partition (no primary), and within that, four logical drive. One, hda8, is
    a small swap file drive. The other three divvy up the remaining space
    equally. I installed Fedora Core 5.0 to hda5 successfully, and I installed
    Ubuntu 6.06 to hda6 using the downloaded Alt install CD. Both use Grub.
    Then I made my mistake and installed Linspire 5.0 to hda7. This release of
    Linspire also uses Grub, but apparently it is not so swift at picking up on
    other installed OSes. Now I boot into Linspire's menu, which includes
    Fedora, but not Ubuntu. What do I need to do to get back a menu with
    Ubuntu? Can I just reinstall it over top of itself, even though I
    downloaded something like 70 updates? Or do I have to wipe that logical
    drive (BootItNG can do that) and then reinstall? Or is there a way to
    modify the boot menu? If it involves the command line, I will need step by
    step guidance. I mean, I did earn that Dummy book.

    Wayne Guest

  2. #2

    * Wayne Maruna wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    if you can see:

    /boot/grub/menu.lst

    on the Ubuntu Install, copy the appropriate stanza to the one on the
    linspire partition and you should see it on next boot.

    --
    David
    I sold my memoirs of my love life to Parker Brothers -- they're going

  3. #3

    Thanks. Like I said, I am truly a Linux Dummy. Assuming I am in either
    Linspire or Fedora (the two accessible installations), how would I go about
    navigating to find the menu.lst on the Ubuntu partition?

    "SINNER" <invalid> wrote in message

    > if you can see:
    >
    > /boot/grub/menu.lst
    >
    > on the Ubuntu Install, copy the appropriate stanza to the one on the
    > linspire partition and you should see it on next boot.
    >

    > --
    > David
    > I sold my memoirs of my love life to Parker Brothers -- they're going
    > to make a game out of it.
    > -- Woody Allen[/ref]

    Wayne Guest

  4. #4

    * Wayne Maruna wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    Well, you will only be able to do that if the other distro actually
    mounts that partition. You can have a look at /mnt for any mount points
    that were created for you, if not you will need to create the mount
    points, mount the partition and browse for the file. Post a copy of your
    /etc/fstab from a one of the still working distros.

    --
    David
    I'm into SOFTWARE!

  5. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Dick Guest
    Moderated Post

  6. #6

    Wayne Maruna wrote:

    >> if you can see:
    >>
    >> /boot/grub/menu.lst
    >>
    >> on the Ubuntu Install, copy the appropriate stanza to the one on
    >> the linspire partition and you should see it on next boot.[/ref]
    >
    > Thanks. Like I said, I am truly a Linux Dummy. Assuming I am in
    > either Linspire or Fedora (the two accessible installations), how
    > would I go about navigating to find the menu.lst on the Ubuntu
    > partition?[/ref]

    Please don't top-post. I fixed this one. Your answer belongs
    after, or intermixed with, the material to which you reply. See
    the following links:

    --
    Some informative links:

    CBFalconer Guest

  7. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Dick Guest
    Moderated Post

  8. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    CBFalconer Guest
    Moderated Post

  9. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Stubby Guest
    Moderated Post

  10. #10

    On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 14:37:48 -0500, CBFalconer wrote:

    Post wherever you please.

    Dan

    Dan Guest

  11. #11

    * Dan N wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    And receive help accordingly.

    --
    David
    To err is human,

  12. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Steveski Guest
    Moderated Post

  13. #13

    On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 01:30:01 +0000, SINNER wrote:

    > And receive help accordingly.[/ref]

    I'd question the help from someone who is so ly retentive that they
    worry about whether or not the text is in the right place.

    Dan

    Dan Guest

  14. #14

    On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 11:30:52 -0600, Stubby wrote:

    It's merely a matter of manners. Did you call your mother a nazi for
    telling you to chew with your mouth closed?

    (Rhetorical question, please do not answer :-)

    mark Guest

  15. #15

    * Dan N wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
     [/ref][/ref]
     [/ref][/ref]
     [/ref]

    Its about being able to follow a conversation, would you say the same of
    a book publisher that randomly placed text and left how to figure out
    what the story was about to you?

    --
    David
    Some stirring may be necessary to achieve proper consistency.

  16. #16

    In <invalid> mark south:

    [Snip...]

    Everyone please take a deep breath and consider section 2.3 of:

    Trust me. There's a method to Usenet madness. :)

    FWIW: I ignore top posting from gitgo--don't have time for it. Same for
    GoogleGrope and M$ toyware (see X-spambot-trap header).

    HTH; YMMV...

    Harold Guest

  17. #17

    SINNER wrote: [/ref]
    > [/ref]
    > [/ref]

    > Its about being able to follow a conversation, would you say the
    > same of a book publisher that randomly placed text and left how to
    > figure out what the story was about to you?[/ref]

    To illustrate, here's this message in Dan N's (apparently)
    preferred
    format. Enjoy.

    ..yojnE .tamrof
    derreferp )yltnerappa( s'N naD ni egassem siht s'ereh ,etartsulli
    oT

    ?uoy ot tuoba saw yrots eht tahw tuo erugif >
    ot woh tfel dna txet decalp ylmodnar taht rehsilbup koob a fo emas
    eht yas uoy dluow ,noitasrevnoc a wollof ot elba gnieb tuoba stI >
    ..ecalp thgir eht ni si txet eht ton ro rehtehw tuoba yrrow yeht >>
    taht evitneter yllana os si ohw enoemos morf pleh eht noitseuq d'I
    >[/ref]
    ..ylgnidrocca pleh eviecer dnA >>>
    ..esaelp uoy reverehw tsoP >>>>
    :etorw renoclaFBC ,0050- 84:73:41 7002 naJ 90 ,euT nO >>>>
    :utnubu.xunil.so.tla ni etorw N naD >>>
    :etorw RENNIS ,0000+ 10:03:10 7002 naJ 11 ,uhT nO >>
    :utnubu.xunil.so.tla ni etorw N naD * >
    :etorw RENNIS

    <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>

    CBFalconer Guest

  18. Moderated Post

    Default Re: Installed Linspire...OT replies

    Removed by Administrator
    God's Guest
    Moderated Post

  19. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Wayne Guest
    Moderated Post

  20. #20

    On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 13:20:02 +0000, SINNER wrote:

    It's easy enough to follow the conversation by reading the previous
    thread.

    Not a good ogy. I wouldn't expect the publisher to repeat what
    was already printed either.

    And there's nothing worse that a one line reply at the bottom of a long
    text, put there because someone is afraid to top post. I prefer a top
    post to a bottom post any day.

    Dan

    Dan Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast