Professional Web Applications Themes

Installer annoyances - Mac Applications & Software

Anyone else finder particular installation practices annoying? My peeves: 1) when installers REQUIRE information I don't want to give. I don't want to give them my telephone number. There's no reason for them to call me, and I don't want to be telemarketed. But some installers won't proceed without it--and they recognize obviously false numbers. 2) ones that REQUIRE you to register. Recent case in point: I just bought a Powerbook G4 and went through the registration process. I had problems with it and sent it back to Apple, but first wiped the hard drive. When I got it back, ...

  1. #1

    Default Installer annoyances

    Anyone else finder particular installation practices annoying? My peeves:

    1) when installers REQUIRE information I don't want to give. I don't
    want to give them my telephone number. There's no reason for them to
    call me, and I don't want to be telemarketed. But some installers won't
    proceed without it--and they recognize obviously false numbers.

    2) ones that REQUIRE you to register. Recent case in point: I just
    bought a Powerbook G4 and went through the registration process. I had
    problems with it and sent it back to Apple, but first wiped the hard
    drive. When I got it back, I decided to partition it and put a basic
    version of OS X on the 2nd partition, so that I could boot from it and
    repair the first one. When I finished and booted, the installer insisted
    that I re-register--despite having already registered. What's more, when
    I booted from the SECOND partition, it wanted me to register yet AGAIN.

    3) ones that don't tell you that you have to reboot until AFTER you've
    already performed the installation, and the Restart button is the only
    one presented.

    4) Installers that don't let you choose where you want to put the
    application, despite the application not actually NEEDING to be in a
    particular location.

    Any others?

    please mail OT responses only
    Scott Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Installer annoyances

    Scott <invalid> wrote:

    Examples? I've never seen an installer that both required a phone
    number and would not accept something bogus.

    Actually, you can always bypass the Apple registration if you want to.
    All you have to do is quit instead. I can't recall if you can do it
    from a menu, but Command-Q definitely works. This is true for both OS 9
    and OS X. Before the registration app quits, you're informed that you
    can always register later online, and that's that.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    <http://www.macconsult.com>
    <http://bogart-tribute.net>
    Mike Guest

  3. #3

    In article <1g0meya.8aauqd1r2btxcN%invalid>,
    invalid (Mike Rosenberg) wrote:

    Apple's OS X installer. You HAVE to enter something, and it checks for
    obvious invalid numbers.

    I tried this, and it asked me again to register on the next boot-up.

  4. #4

    Scott <invalid> wrote:

    Did it first ask about setting up the internet and then, when you said
    yes, go back to the registration? The solution is to say no, then set
    up the internet manually.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    Mike Guest

  5. #5

    In article <1g0nhco.1g1vrv41nqlr2aN%invalid>,
    invalid (Mike Rosenberg) wrote:

    I had quit the installer and set everything up myself. The next time I
    booted, it took me to the registration screen without asking anything.

  6. #6

    Scott <invalid> wrote:

    All I can say is that that's odd, as I've routinely quit out of the
    registration app when installing OS X on a client's Mac and never
    encountered that.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    Mike Guest