Professional Web Applications Themes

installing Acrobat 3.0 on WIN2000 - Adobe Acrobat Windows

Hello, After 7 years we changed our PC from WIN95 to WIN2000. I tried to install Acrobat 3.0 on this PC. I know maybe it's obsolete but it's convenient enough for us. Installing the software was no problem but I wasn't able to install the AdobePS drivers. As a consequence of that no PPD printer can be found and no pdf is generated using Distiller. Is there a way to use version 3 of Acrobat in WIN2000? Thanks on beforehand for any reply, Regards, Jan...

  1. #1

    Default installing Acrobat 3.0 on WIN2000

    Jan_Elie_Michiels@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: installing Acrobat 3.0 on WIN2000

    4.05 would be the first version that installed an automatic print to
    PDF driver into Windows 2000.

    But you can still print manually to PostScript and distill. Just
    install Microsoft's PostScript driver with Add Printer. Perhaps pick
    any Tektronix Phaser.

    Aandi Inston
    Aandi_Inston@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Is there a way to use version 3 of Acrobat in WIN2000?

    I doubt it. You could download the Adobe PS driver and install it with the Acrobat Distiller ppd which you can also download but there is no guarantee it will work... I wouldn't get your hopes up!
    Dorian_Grey@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Hello Dorian and Aandi,

    I installed Distiller PPD files and the Adobe Universal Postscript Windows Dirver installer 1.0.6. As a result I can create pdf files BUT readable text can only be obtained when using Distiller Fonts in my original doents: Courier, Helvetica, Symbol, Times and Zapf Dingbats. At first glance I have no problems with images.
    Do you think there is a solution for this font problem?
    Thanks for your support,

  5. #5

    You haven't described the problem...

  6. #6

    How do you mean? The problem is that I can't use the print to pdf unless I use i.e. Courier as font in my doent (one of the fonts of the folder "Acrobat3/distillr/fonts/PFM"). Acrobat 3.0 works on Win2000 prof. but with this limitation (maybe others will follow during thouroughly testing)

  7. #7

    What Aandi and me want to know is what happens if you do not use a courier (or a different base14 font).

    What you just explained is the solution/workaround to your problem, not the problem itself.
    de_Siem@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Depending on the font choosen , partialy or totaly unreadable text but images are OK.

  9. #9

    best to start again Jan with your problem description.

    You have a Word doent, what is your next step, what's the result of that step. takes us through your pdf creation process.

    Are you printing directly to a distiller printer for example or are you creating a ps file first?
    de_Siem@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Well, here I go:

    Open Word doc (font i.e. Tahoma)
    file/print "acrobat distiller" and as a result I get a PRNfile (with the acrobat logo in the icon)
    Open with "distiller" (all fonts are included) and as a result I get a pdf file and a notepad doc containing the following text:
    %%[ ProductName: Distiller ]%%
    %%[Page: 1]%%
    %%[Page: 2]%%
    %%[Page: 3]%%
    %%[Page: 4]%%
    %%[Page: 5]%%
    %%[Page: 6]%%
    %%[Page: 7]%%
    %%[Page: 8]%%
    %%[LastPage]%%

  11. #11

    Ok, no errors. Now, open a PDF doent, preferably a simple one with
    one page and one font. Look in Doent Info > Fonts. What, in full,
    do you see there?

  12. #12

    By the way, please give more detail than "partly or totally
    unreadable". More exact, please. Remember, we cannot see your file,
    and this is not a common or typical problem, so details really matter.

    You could mean all sorts of things e.g.

    - some or all characters missing (spaces)
    - characters in the wrong font
    - characters from the right font, but the wrong characters
    - the right character from the right font but all jumbled up and out
    of place
    - characters replaced by blobs, squares or bullets
    - characters replaced by symbols
    - characters replaced by Chinese-looking or Cyrillic-looking or
    Greek-looking characters.
    - some combination of the above
    - something else

    All of these would send us in different directions.

  13. #13

    an example of a single page with unreadable text

    original font: TTE28503A8t00+1
    Type: TrueTyp
    Encoding: incorporated (maybe badly translated from dutch)
    Font used: inserted(sub (same remark as above)
    Type: TrueType

  14. #14

    a combination of:
    some characters replaced by squares
    some or all characters missing (spaces), more when using Arial than when using Times NewRoman
    characters from the right font, but the wrong characters
    Copying readable pieces of text into Word results in unreadable characters in the Word doc.

    If you give me an e-mail address I can send you an example of such a file if you wish,

  15. #15

    We'll need to inspect your installation of the distiller printer a bit more closely.
    (Btw you're being typically Dutch eh? refusing to shell out for an upgrade...:) )

    right-click your distiller printer and go to properties.
    click on the device settings tab and right-click on the top item of the list:
    Adobe PS Acrobat distiller device settings and choose 'About'

    tell us which version driver has been installed and which ppd is listed there.
    de_Siem@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    hahaha! But, I'm flemish, they also speek dutch and they normaly eat and drink well and it's good quality stuff(Cheers!). And I'd rather ask to simply buy an upgrade but ...if it doesn't work as it should i'll try to persuad my boss.
    The Acrobat Distiller is adobe PS Acrobat Distiller, Postscript printer driver version 5.2 (31) "ADIST5.PPD" version 1.0.

  17. #17

    But I'm Dutch. :)
    Anyhow you got the correct driver and ppd.

    Now what seems to happen is that the fonts you are using have been substituted with TTE28503A8t00+1.

    Which fonts are you using and what kind (true type, type 1, or open type?

    Again right-click on the distiller printer, is there a tab called pdf settings by any chance?
    Click on the advanced button under either the layout or paper/quality tab. Open the postscript settings here.

    What's set for downloading true type fonts?
    What is set for the postscript level? If it's set for 3 change it to 2.

    Also update distiller to 3.02http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=4&platform=Windows
    de_Siem@adobeforums.com Guest

  18. #18

    "De Sien", I could have guessed...
    I'll have to answer you tomorrow since I have to finish the rest of my work. Thanks and till tomorrow,

  19. #19

    ermm it's an M at the end not an 'N'.
    :)
    de_Siem@adobeforums.com Guest

  20. #20

    Hi, De SieM!

    Here I'm back.
    Concerning the fonts: I have the standard Windows fonts , all TrueType fonts regardless the appearance of their icon (an "TT" or an "O"). That's what I found when clicking the properties tab of the fonts. I also have "font files" with an "A" in the icon.
    I installed the update 3.02.
    In the Adobe PS Acrobat Distiller Advanced Doents Settings I changed the PS option from 3 to 2, the TT Font Download option was set to "automatic" and TT font was set "substitute with Device Font".

    Regards,

    JaN (in my case an M would be silly ...)
    Jan_Elie_Michiels@adobeforums.com Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast