Professional Web Applications Themes

Installing an app vs OSX Launch Services - Mac Programming

OK, here is a strange question. Suppose I have installed an application and I want to make sure that Launch Services knows about it? I am having a problem where I install an internet protocol helper application and IC can't find it when I register it. So I go looking at the LS APIs to see how I whack the system upside the head to tell it about a new application, and lo and behold, there are no Set routines for this sort of thing - only get routines! That is not very um helpful. So at this point I ...

  1. #1

    Default Installing an app vs OSX Launch Services

    OK, here is a strange question. Suppose I have installed an application
    and I want to make sure that Launch Services knows about it? I am
    having a problem where I install an internet protocol helper application
    and IC can't find it when I register it. So I go looking at the LS APIs
    to see how I whack the system upside the head to tell it about a new
    application, and lo and behold, there are no Set routines for this sort
    of thing - only get routines! That is not very um helpful.

    So at this point I am contemplating various hacks such as:

    - Telling the Finder to open the application (pretty harmless)
    - Using the old DTDB routines (a bit risky)
    - Hacking the LS .plist (scary and dangerous)

    But i don't know (yet) whether any of these will work.

    I have also noticed that WMP does not register until you run it, so
    maybe this is a common problem? Anyone run into this? Anyone have a
    better solution?

    TIA,

    --

    - rmgw

    <http://www.trustedmedianetworks.com/>

    Richard Wesley Trusted Media Networks, Inc.

    "Ordinary people - I hate 'em. Ordinary person spends his life trying to
    get out of tense situations. Repo man spends his life trying to get /in/
    to tense situations." - Harry Dean Stanton, _Repo Man_
    Richard Wesley Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Installing an app vs OSX Launch Services

    In article <hawkfish-F68EF7.15053519082003tribune.sj.sys.us.xo.net>,
    Richard Wesley <hawkfishtrustedmedianetworks.com> wrote:
    > But i don't know (yet) whether any of these will work.
    >
    > I have also noticed that WMP does not register until you run it, so
    > maybe this is a common problem?
    Yes.
    > Anyone run into this? Anyone have a better solution?
    No. run and immediately quit it or instruct the user to logout and login
    again on case it is installed in /Applications or ~/Applications.

    B-(

    Regards,
    Thomas
    Thomas Engelmeier Guest

  3. #3

    In article <bhv97f$3hrtu$1ID-2640.news.uni-berlin.de>,
    Thomas Engelmeier <aug03_nospamengelmeier.com> wrote:
    > In article <hawkfish-F68EF7.15053519082003tribune.sj.sys.us.xo.net>,
    > Richard Wesley <hawkfishtrustedmedianetworks.com> wrote:
    >
    > > But i don't know (yet) whether any of these will work.
    > >
    > > I have also noticed that WMP does not register until you run it, so
    > > maybe this is a common problem?
    >
    > Yes.
    >
    > > Anyone run into this? Anyone have a better solution?
    >
    > No. run and immediately quit it
    Great - thisis very low impact (it is just an AppleScript applet).
    > or instruct the user to logout and login
    > again on case it is installed in /Applications or ~/Applications.
    Nope. Which is just as well - the system is designed for complete
    idiots ;-)

    Many thanks.

    --

    - rmgw

    <http://www.trustedmedianetworks.com/>

    Richard Wesley Trusted Media Networks, Inc.

    "A little patience and a lot of tape!"
    - Danny DeVito, _Batman Returns_
    Richard Wesley Guest

  4. #4

    In article <BB6C5E4A9668DAB0F10.0.1.2>,
    [email]slavinshearsay.demon.co.uk[/email]localhost (Simon Slavin) wrote:
    > In article <hawkfish-52877D.10020620082003tribune.sj.sys.us.xo.net>,
    > Richard Wesley <hawkfishtrustedmedianetworks.com> wrote:
    >
    > >> If your app is bundled with an Info.plist,
    > >
    > >Nope (AppleScript applet).
    >
    > If you use Project Builder to compile your AppleScript then
    > you'll find that it does have an Info.plist. If you're
    > writing an AppleScript in Script Editor then it doesn't have
    > enought structure to be a fully-fledged application so it
    > can't be used as the target for a Launch Service anyway.

    Script Editor actually. And it is working just fine...

    --

    - rmgw

    <http://www.trustedmedianetworks.com/>

    Richard Wesley Trusted Media Networks, Inc.

    "No, no no. 'Eureka' is Greek: It means 'This bath is too hot.'"
    - The Doctor in "Dr. Who: The Talons of Weng-Chiang"
    Richard Wesley Guest