Professional Web Applications Themes

installing and accessing mysql from a shared drive - MySQL

Hey all, im fairly new to mySQL and sql databases in general, so any help would be greatly appreciated. I am developing a Java application to be used in a hospital. I'd like the database to be able to be accessed from anywhere in the hospital's computer network (definatly not outside the network). I was thinking I should install mySQL into one of these shared directories, since it would be nearly impossible to set up a dedicated server due to over-trumped privacy concerns of this organization. So I was thinking about setting it up on one of the shared drives, ...

  1. #1

    Default installing and accessing mysql from a shared drive

    Hey all, im fairly new to mySQL and sql databases in general, so any
    help would be greatly appreciated. I am developing a Java application
    to be used in a hospital. I'd like the database to be able to be
    accessed from anywhere in the hospital's computer network (definatly
    not outside the network).

    I was thinking I should install mySQL into one of these shared
    directories, since it would be nearly impossible to set up a dedicated
    server due to over-trumped privacy concerns of this organization. So I
    was thinking about setting it up on one of the shared drives, and then
    installing my class files either onto the local computer or into the
    shared drive as well.

    Now my question is, if I were to do this, what would I need to do to
    achieve interactivity between the database and my java application? I
    am guessing this is not going to be a simple task, however, I really
    have no idea.

    Thanks

    Justin Guest

  2. #2

    Justin wrote:

    You can't.

    The MySQL daemons need to maintain control of the files, and all
    requests go through the daemons. And don't even try to have multiple
    daemons accessing the same files.

    And if this is a U.S. hospital, I doubt their privacy concerns are
    "over-trumped". Search on HIPAA. Failure to maintain privacy of
    patients' medical records is a real concern - and a federal offense.

    The way to go is with a server, dedicated or not, and limit access to
    the server.

    --
    ==================
    Remove the "x" from my email address

  3. #3

    well, when I say overtrumped, I mean, in the passed, I have not been
    allowed to install Microsoft SQL Server Enterprise due to security
    concerns. I just wanted to run it locally, on the computer at my desk.
    I was/am tired of using MS Access.

    Which gives me another idea, albeit, a very poor one. The program I am
    writing is in its infancy, but I need to give the doctor I'm working
    with the ability to use the program. Could I accomplish the above
    scenario using MS Access?

    Justin Guest

  4. #4

    On 27 Nov 2006 16:29:29 -0800, Justin wrote:

    I'm shocked, I tell you! Shocked! Someone supposing MS-SQL server might
    be a security risk!

    Running it on your own PC is a security violation just waiting to
    happen. Equally patched, a server system is far less likely to be
    leaking data than a desktop or laptop system as there's more interaction
    with the outside world.

    Ask an Access newsgroup?

    Seriously, Jerry's advice is good. Plan for an independant server (virtual's
    okay, but a real box is better), locking it down *hard*, and spend some
    serious time working up permissions rules and access tracking plans.
    Once that's done, I expect you'll be far, far more likely to get what
    you need for the project because it'll be safe enough to proceed from
    that very privacy aspect that you're cafing against now.

    --
    Cunningham's First Law:
    Any sufficiently complex deterministic system will exhibit

  5. #5

    Justin wrote:

    Well, if you can't install SQL Server, chances are they aren't going to
    let you install MySQL, either. I think you need to understand their
    reservations better so you can address them. You may not be able to get
    any database installed. It is their system, after all.

    I don't know. You might want to ask in an MS Access newsgroup.

    --