Professional Web Applications Themes

Installing CS Upgrade - Adobe Indesign Windows

I'm trying to install ID CS alongside ID 2. I tested this last week, loading CS onto a Win XP machine. Here's what I did: -Install CS. -Open an ID doc, but change the file association back to ID 2. When I double-click ID files, they open in ID 2. This way we don't accidentally open a doc in CS, otherwise it can never be used in ID 2 again. HOWEVER...I just attempted the same thing on a Win 2k machine. All is well until I attempt to change the file association. ID 2 does not appear in the list ...

  1. #1

    Default Installing CS Upgrade

    I'm trying to install ID CS alongside ID 2. I tested this last week, loading
    CS onto a Win XP machine. Here's what I did:

    -Install CS.
    -Open an ID doc, but change the file association back to ID 2.
    When I double-click ID files, they open in ID 2. This way we don't
    accidentally open a doc in CS, otherwise it can never be used in ID 2 again.

    HOWEVER...I just attempted the same thing on a Win 2k machine. All is well
    until I attempt to change the file association. ID 2 does not appear in the
    list of apps. (huh?)So I browse to it and select the ID 2 exe file. Click
    OK, and the ID CS app is highlighted in the dialog. I cannot change the
    association of .indd to ID 2. ??????

    Did ID CS hijack the association, or maybe ID 2 isn't installed properly??
    ID 2 was working just fine prior to this.

    -John O

    JohnO@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Installing CS Upgrade

    Something is awry. I have my WinXP set to open in ID2 by default - - with no problems either. Could Win2K be y? I couldn't guess. Do you have a user system privilege issue at hand?
    Jim_Oblak@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    >Could Win2K be y?

    Could be, but at this point the blame sits squarely on the ID CS installer.

    I loaded the CS trial a few weeks ago on my own Win 2k desktop. I didn't
    adjust the associations, so double-clicking an .indd file brings up the
    expired trial. Fine. If I attempt to change the association back to ID 2, it
    won't work...it's the expired trial only.

    If I uninstall the trial, I can manually fix the association back to ID
    2.exe...ID2 isn't in the list of applications, I have to search out the
    ..exe.

    Next, install the real ID CS. After that, .indd isn't associated with
    anything. I attempt to associate .indd with ID 2, and ID CS takes over. On
    this machine, I know I am the admin. That's two Win 2k machines, same
    result.

    From this, I have to conclude that the ID CS install is hosing up the ID 2
    registry settings in Win 2k, SP4.

    Also, I have to wonder why Adobe let the ID team do things (again) different
    than the rest of their apps. For instance, in the associations dialog all
    the Adobe apps are listed as Adobe Illustrator or Adobe Photoshop, etc. But
    Indesign, no, it's listed as Indesign Application. Sorry for the venting
    there, but this is a stupid problem that's costing me far too much time,
    particularly in light of why I'm doing this in the first place. (no
    backsave)

  4. #4

    Don't be so easy on the rest of the Adobe team. I had one hell of a time
    getting files to open in Photoshop CS. TIFFs would open in MS viewer,
    and then browsing to the PS CS exe still launched PS 7.0.

    I wound up going into Win Explorer and using the advanced options to
    change everything. It was a major pain and I suspect you're going to
    need to do the same thing for ID.

    Bob

    Robert_Levine@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    > Don't be so easy on the rest of the Adobe team.

    ....I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, but the PS 6.0.0 problems were
    pretty bad. :-) (Save a file to the LAN, then detach the laptop from said
    LAN, and *every* action takes 30+ seconds...that was a flawed beta.)
    >I suspect you're going to
    > need to do the same thing for ID.
    I reinstalled 2.0 over the top of itself and CS, and everything seems to
    work like I want. Oddly, the screen still says ID 2.0.2, but the disk isn't
    that new. I'll have to double-check that.

    I had planned to post this experience either way, just for folks doing the
    same thing later. Well, here it is. LOL