Professional Web Applications Themes

Installing debian on pc with Silicon image Sil 0860 ide controller - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hello, I want to install debian woody onto a pc with an ide raid card (the onboard controller doesnt support the large 40GB disk, it's a ibm pentium 166) When I start the setup it says it hasn't found an hard disk, and that I should load a module from floppy. Do I have to compile the module and put it on a floppy? How do I do that? build the module on another computer? If so, where do I find the kernel source? (i have the Lordsuch.com net install cd and bf2.4 boot floppy set) Can someone help me ...

  1. #1

    Default Installing debian on pc with Silicon image Sil 0860 ide controller

    Hello,

    I want to install debian woody onto a pc with an ide raid card (the onboard controller doesnt support the large 40GB disk, it's a ibm pentium 166)

    When I start the setup it says it hasn't found an hard disk, and that I should load a module from floppy.
    Do I have to compile the module and put it on a floppy? How do I do that? build the module on another computer?
    If so, where do I find the kernel source? (i have the Lordsuch.com net install cd and bf2.4 boot floppy set)
    Can someone help me on this?

    Thanks
    Thomas
    --
    Thomas Langewouters
    homepage: [url]http://users.skynet.be/langewouters[/url]

  2. #2

    Thomas Langewouters scribbled:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I want to install debian woody onto a pc with an ide raid card (the
    > onboard controller doesnt support the large 40GB disk, it's a ibm pentium
    > 166)
    >
    > When I start the setup it says it hasn't found an hard disk, and that I
    > should load a module from floppy. Do I have to compile the module and put
    > it on a floppy? How do I do that? build the module on another computer? If
    > so, where do I find the kernel source? (i have the Lordsuch.com net
    > install cd and bf2.4 boot floppy set) Can someone help me on this?
    If the IDE RAID card is an on-board controller and it cannot handle a 40 GB
    hard disk, then perhaps you could use a smaller hard disk as the primary
    master drive and the 40 GB hard disk as the primary slave drive. You
    should be able to locate a cheap (as in price) 10 GB hard disk online or at
    a local refurbished computer/parts reseller.

    Alternatively, disbale the on-board IDE controller and insert an IDE board
    into the computer expansion slot to handle the 40 GB hard disk.

    There are no problems, only opportunities. ;-)

    --
    Free Software Foundation (FSF) Associate Member 499
    Linux Counter Statistics: UserID 277671

    horne Guest

  3. #3

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 01:00:43 GMT
    horne <hornemember.fsf.org> wrote:

    | Thomas Langewouters scribbled:
    <cut>

    | If the IDE RAID card is an on-board controller and it cannot handle a 40 GB
    | hard disk, then perhaps you could use a smaller hard disk as the primary
    | master drive and the 40 GB hard disk as the primary slave drive. You
    | should be able to locate a cheap (as in price) 10 GB hard disk online or at
    | a local refurbished computer/parts reseller.
    |
    | Alternatively, disbale the on-board IDE controller and insert an IDE board
    | into the computer expansion slot to handle the 40 GB hard disk.
    |
    | There are no problems, only opportunities. ;-)
    |
    | --
    | Free Software Foundation (FSF) Associate Member 499
    | Linux Counter Statistics: UserID 277671
    | LindowsOS v4.0 (Linux kernel 2.4.20) Elite-II Zero-Footprint PC

    The card I'm using is an expansion card, because the onboard controller can't handle that large disk.
    (the computer is an old ibm ? with an intel pentium 166 so I'm not suprised...)
    It will be used as server, so putting in an extra powereating harddisk is not a good idea.
    I installed gentoo linux and redhat 9 on that computer with ease but:
    * Gentoo: Sshd doesn't respond on that server while emerging and also my workstations' internet is all messed up then. (btw, gentoo rocks my desktop!)
    * Redhat: The configuration files seemed to have moved to weird places, and it's not easy to use three different distro's with all different locations. Plus: I don't like rpm.
    * Debian: I'm running it on the server that should be replaced, and It's doing its job great. Apt-get is realy comfortable.

    Debian seems to be the best solution, but I don't understand how it is installed and how I get it to suport that card. the kernel-config file that came with the images listed yes after the controller...

    Thomas.

    --
    Thomas Langewouters
    homepage: [url]http://users.skynet.be/langewouters[/url]