Professional Web Applications Themes

installing developer tools? - Mac Applications & Software

Hello all, I hear Mac OS X comes with some developer tools but I can't find them. I take it they are an option I should have checked when I installed? Is there a way to install them when the system is already installed and updated to 10.2.6? Without having to reinstall the whole system and backing up the exiting one? Thanks, Steven -- nl...

  1. #1

    Default installing developer tools?

    --
    nl

    Steven Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: installing developer tools?

    In <supernews.com>
    Steven <nl> wrote:

    They might have shipped as a separate CD with your Mac, if you bought it
    with 10.2 installed, or you can download the installer from
    http://developer.apple.com (free registration required). The download is
    several hunderd megabytes in size.

    The developer tools are a separate install from the OS.

    J.
    Jennifer Guest

  3. #3

    In <supernews.com> Steven wrote:

    You take it wrong. They are a separate installation. If you don't have
    the Developer CD corresponding to your system, you can download the
    tools from Apple's site. You will have to join the developer program to
    do this, but online membership is free.

    http://developer.apple.com/

    m.

    --
    matt neuburg, phd = com, http://www.tidbits.com/matt
    REALbasic: The Definitive Guide! 2nd edition!

  4. #4

    Entity Steven spoke thus:

    They are on a separate disk called "Developer" or some such thing.

    Sure, you can install it on your boot partition, but my experience was not
    so good. Strange things happened to my system and I eventually removed the
    DT but the problems didn't go away so I hadda reinstall my OS.
    Not that the odd things would happen to you, more recent versions may be
    better integrated.

    -- Gnarlie
    http://www.Gnarlodious.com/Cogent/Cogent.html

    Gnarlodious Guest

  5. #5

    In article <supernews.com>,
    Steven <nl> wrote:

    They're on a separate disk that comes with the 10.2 install disk.

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  6. #6

    On Sun, 3 Aug 2003, matt neuburg wrote:

    > You take it wrong. They are a separate installation. If you don't have
    > the Developer CD corresponding to your system, you can download the
    > tools from Apple's site. You will have to join the developer program to
    > do this, but online membership is free.
    >[/ref]

    Often they can also be found in /Applications/Installers, but those might
    not be the latest tools.

    Fred

    Frederick Guest

  7. #7

    On Sun, 3 Aug 2003, Gnarlodious wrote:

    > They are on a separate disk called "Developer" or some such thing.

    > Sure, you can install it on your boot partition, but my experience was not
    > so good. Strange things happened to my system and I eventually removed the
    > DT but the problems didn't go away so I hadda reinstall my OS.[/ref]

    More likely that it was a separate problem. As a developer i always have
    the tools installed on my machines and this has never caused any problems
    (and i fail to see how someone serious about their development could work
    any other way).

    Fred

    Frederick Guest

  8. #8

    Michelle Steiner wrote:

    > They're on a separate disk that comes with the 10.2 install disk.[/ref]

    Thanks all, for the quick responses. I purchased the international
    version 10.2 Jaguar. It comes on two disks, but no developer tools on
    either disk. I thought every copy of OS X would ship with DT included?
    Well, that's what I heard... I guess I have to download them... Thanks,

    Steven

    --
    nl

    Steven Guest

  9. #9

    In article <supernews.com>,
    Steven <nl> wrote:

    If you don't have the disk, download the devtools from Apple's developer
    site, developer.apple.com. I believe you need to register as a
    developer, but it's free and as far as I can tell you don't end up with
    any third-party spam. (You will get the occasional note from Apple).

    You don't need to reinstall anything, just install the devtools over
    10.2.6.
    fishfry Guest

  10. #10

    On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 22:27:04 GMT, fishfry wrote:
     [/ref]

    But before you download anything, look first in /Applications/Installers.

    --
    Dave Seaman
    Judge Yohn's mistakes revealed in Mumia Abu-Jamal ruling.

  11. #11

    Dave Seaman wrote:

    > [/ref]

    > But before you download anything, look first in /Applications/Installers.[/ref]

    Thanks all, I didn't find anything in /Applications/Installers, so I
    downloaded and installed the tools with no problem.

    Steven (Impressed and exited about Mac OS X...)

    --
    nl

    Steven Guest

  12. #12

    What is the advantage of installing developer tools?

    Robert Guest

  13. #13

    On Mon, 4 Aug 2003, Robert Jennings wrote:

    You get to use them.

    Fred

    Frederick Guest