Professional Web Applications Themes

Installing Flash Player on Intel iMac - Macromedia Flash Player

Upon visiting a site that requires Flash, Safari brins up the 'Plugin not found' dialog and then forwards me to the Macromedia Flash Download page. The page does not recognize my browser, but even when I manually download the Mac Flash installer, the installer does not configure Safari for use, continued...

  1. #1

    Default Installing Flash Player on Intel iMac

    Upon visiting a site that requires Flash, Safari brins up the 'Plugin not
    found' dialog and then forwards me to the Macromedia Flash Download page. The
    page does not recognize my browser, but even when I manually download the Mac
    Flash installer, the installer does not configure Safari for use, but does find
    a PowerPC version of Firefox 1.5. While Firefox proceeds to display Flash
    content fine, Safari obviously doesn't. Has anyone found a workaround?

    Cokeguy17 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Installing Flash Player on Intel iMac

    I am having the same exac problem. My co is on a T1 connecion and just
    purchased the intel imac dual as well as studio 8 and i cannot view and flash
    site through safari. I REFUSE to use IE. has anyone been able to contact
    macromedia or get any resolution at all to this problem.

    ianmatt Guest

  3. #3

    I'm experiencing the same problem. I'm on a home LAN. I thought it was
    something I was doing. I'm glad I found this forum. IE sucks on the Mac. I hope
    there will be a fix posted for this very soon. I never realized how many sites
    used flash until I couldn't access them.

    Adrienne Maxie Guest

  4. #4

    I have the same problem. The Flash 8 Player "Shockwave Flash" plug-in will
    not load in OS 10.4.4, but loaded fine when I was using 10.2.8. I tryed using
    Safari, Netscape 7.1, and IE it fails in every browser.

    Dolarhydedragon Guest

  5. #5

    Same problem here - thank you for making me realize that I am not going mad. I
    searched forums everywhere for info on this issue, but found nothing until now.
    What is being done about this? I enjoy safari with the new intel processor -
    at least for me it seems to be the quickest. I will check back to see if more
    (or any) comments or solutions have been posted. It still sucks, but at least
    I know that I'm not alone.

    fotofojo Guest

  6. #6

    This is because Safari is a Universal Binary and the Flash Player is a PowerPC
    binary You can not operate applications in split mode. If Flash Player is
    really necessary you can force Safari to operate through Rosetta. Go to
    Applications right click Safari and select "Open Usiing Rosetta". You expect
    to take a fairly large speed hit if you do this.

    RabidBear Guest

  7. #7

    Thanks RabidBear, I'm running that now. The option box appears under 'get
    info'. No huge speed loss here, actually still loading faster than firefox
    was. I noticed that 'open with rosetta' option is not available for all apps,
    but it's a good thing to know. Thanks again.

    fotofojo Guest

  8. #8

    THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!!!!!!! Both RabidBear and fotofojo.

    Same issue on an iMac w / Intel. Not new to computers, but an infant with
    Apple. Only issue I have now is that Safari is no longer in my dock. Is there
    a way to get it back?

    snowb46 Guest

  9. #9

    Flash Player works for me without Rosetta on the main (admin) account, but not
    on the other non-admin accounts. Anyone else seeing this?

    I checked the permissions on the plugin files and they are read/execute
    others, so it should work.

    chriswaco Guest

  10. #10

    Did you install the flash plug-in yourself, or did it work out of the box? I
    had limited flash plug-in support on my intel iMac out of the box,
    unfortunately, upon installing the Flash program trial, the original plug-in
    got overwritten and now it doesn't work anymore natively, only under rosetta.
    Is there any place to download the plug-in that came originally with the iMac,
    or does anyone where they are on the iMac install disc, or can anyone post them
    for download pls.?? Many thanks in advance!!

    paul808 Guest

  11. #11

    I am having the same problem. I have an Inel iMac 20-inch Core Duo, I had
    installed Dream-weaver, and Flash Video Encoder after those installations flash
    stopped working in Safari. The flash plug-in probably got installed during one
    of those installations. Even if I delete those plugins from the
    ~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins folder Safari will still NOT play flash. I guess
    APPLE has some proprietary plugin Safari uses. I will be calling Apple tomorrow
    about this issue. Well, if worst comes to worst..... I might need to bring out
    my OS X 10.4.4 install DVD's.

    theman3 Guest

  12. #12

    theman3, great that you will call Apple... please share your solution if they come up with anything :-) Thanks!
    paul808 Guest

  13. #13

    I'm seeing the same problem here: Safari was fine displaying Flash when
    I got the iMac out of the box, then after I installed the Flash
    authoring software it's stopped working.

    I can't see the 'open with' option if I ctrl-click on the Safari icon
    in Applications either.

    Have there been any responses from Macromedia on this? Apple?

    Anybody?

    :)

    justin.stach@gmail.com Guest

  14. #14

    I just called Apple. The only semi-solution he gave me was to run Safari under
    Rosetta, which I promptly said I "refused" to do. He also suggested
    re-installing Safari from the OS X boot disks, however when I tried this I
    noticed that Safari is not listed on the "Bundled Software" on the boot disk. I
    dont really know what to tell you guys, etheir run Safari under rosetta, or run
    Firefox (also under Rosetta). Until Apple gets their stuff together those are
    the only solutions I can come up with. If anyone has anymore information please
    let me know. :frown;

    theman3 Guest

  15. #15

    I already tried reinstalling Safari (deleting Flash plug-in first) from the
    iMac install disc, but that doenst place the orinigal plug-in again, so the
    plug-ins should be located elsewhere on the discs, but don't know where...
    Let's hope Adobe at least updates the plug-in to a universal soon...

    paul808 Guest

  16. #16

    HOUSTON ... WE HAVE A SOLUTION ... Back up your files onto CD's and be sure you
    save all of your 'unretrievable' stuff because the only way you can get your
    Safari to work like the day you first got your computer you need to reinsert
    your original Apple disks and choose "Erase and Re-install". BINGO! Your
    computer will be fresh as a daisy with no bugs from Macromedia to mess up your
    internet surfing experience. Maybe one day Macromedia will develop the patch
    needed to allow for the upgraded FlashPlayer, but until then .... at least
    you'll have your life back!

    FPRESCUE Guest

  17. #17

    Any chance of posting the contents of ~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins somewhere as
    a .zip maybe? I think it's worth the try, before I engage myself in hours of
    erasing and reinstalling the contents of my hard disk :-) Many thanks!!

    paul808 Guest

  18. #18

    Had the same problem; I went to the Flash site and updated the plug-in only to
    find worse functionality and a constant window popping up telling me I needed
    to get a Flash plug-in. People who theorized that the old semi-functional
    plug-in was overwritten are correct.

    To get the original Apple Flash plugin back on the system, you need to
    download Pacifist (shareware), a program which allows you to extract
    individual files or folders from the Apple OS Install disc. Open Pacifist and
    click Open OS X Install packages. After a slow load (Rosetta) you'll have a
    screen full of optional installs. Use the Find search function in Pacifist and
    one of the files found is Flash Player.plugin. Extract it to your desktop and
    then copy the extracted Flash Player.plugin to the ~/library/internet plug-ins
    folder (may want to save the file you're replacing to some other location, just
    in case) and voila, you're at least back to the original configuration WITHOUT
    a complete reinstall.

    Worked for me anyway.

    siderits Guest

  19. #19

    Thanks siderits... I never tried Pacifist with the original install discs...

    I found the plugin in \Essentials.pkg and used the contents to overwrite what
    was in ~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins and it worked perfectly!!

    (Strange however that this universal plug-in wasnt posted on the Adobe site so
    far.)

    paul808 Guest

  20. #20

    The same thing happened to me. I installed Flash and it somehow prevented
    Safari from using the player.

    I found an easy solution (or maybe a compromise). I downloaded Firefox for
    free. Flash works with it fine. It is also working with Mozilla. It must
    just be a Safari thing.:D:cool;

    mslevy Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast