Professional Web Applications Themes

Installing from ISO disks - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I burned the 3 iso images of RedHat 9 onto 3 cds in iso9660 format using a WinXP machine. I plan a single boot system on another PC. I have the machine set to boot from the CD-ROM drive. I start the machine and it boots normally into the old Linux version. What did I do wrong, or not do? I read the doentation at RedHat, but it quickly starting using terms I was unfamiliar with. I've used mostly Windows. Thanks. Ken...

  1. #1

    Default Installing from ISO disks

    I burned the 3 iso images of RedHat 9 onto 3 cds in iso9660 format
    using a WinXP machine. I plan a single boot system on another PC. I
    have the machine set to boot from the CD-ROM drive. I start the
    machine and it boots normally into the old Linux version.

    What did I do wrong, or not do? I read the doentation at RedHat,
    but it quickly starting using terms I was unfamiliar with. I've used
    mostly Windows.

    Thanks.

    Ken
    Ken Loomis Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Installing from ISO disks

    Ken Loomis wrote:
    > I burned the 3 iso images of RedHat 9 onto 3 cds in iso9660 format
    > using a WinXP machine. I plan a single boot system on another PC. I
    > have the machine set to boot from the CD-ROM drive. I start the
    > machine and it boots normally into the old Linux version.
    You probably created new iso images containing the existing iso images as
    files.

    What do you see if you try looking at the CDROM in a file manager? A list of
    lots of files, or just thingy.iso?

    Consult the manual for your CD burning software to see how to burn existing
    iso images without creating new ones.

    --
    David Dorward [url]http://dorward.me.uk/[/url]
    David Dorward Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks David and Bit:

    Good advice and references.

    Ken
    Ken Loomis Guest

  4. #4

    Ken Loomis <kloomisnotarealaddress.com> wrote in
    > On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 19:49:36 +0100, David Dorward <dorward>
    > wrote:
    >>
    >>What do you see if you try looking at the CDROM in a file manager? A
    >>list of lots of files, or just thingy.iso?
    >
    > thingy.iso
    >

    >>Consult the manual for your CD burning software to see how to burn
    >>existing iso images without creating new ones.
    >
    > Thanks, I'll look. I have Roxio CD Burner whose doentation is
    > worse than Microsoft's
    >
    > Ken

    Ken,

    The burner I have has an option that says "Create CD from CD image file".
    When you select that, it asks what type of image and gives .iso format as
    one of the options. You then point it at the iso image file and it
    creates the CD. You will end up with heaps of files on the CD with all
    the required boot sector stuff for your PC to be able to boot off the
    first CD of the set. The other two CD's correspond to the other two iso
    files you should have downloaded.

    Rgds Llanzlan.
    Llanzlan Klazmon The 15th Guest

  5. #5

    On 4 Sep 2003 15:50:04 +1200, Llanzlan Klazmon The 15th
    <LlanzlanLlurdiaxorb.net> wrote:
    >The burner I have has an option that says "Create CD from CD image file".
    Yep, that's what I did and I got good disks that passed the crc check
    on Linux. Only thing was I got a "media' or hardare problem " when
    installing. So I'm bummed. Maybe the download was bad? Would it
    stall pass the disk check if the download was bad?

    Ken
    Ken Loomis Guest

  6. #6

    Is your boot order correct in you cmos?

    I turn off CD-Rom normally so I don't accidentially boot off a CD-Rom disc.

    -John

    "Ken Loomis" <kloomisnotarealaddress.com> wrote in message
    > I burned the 3 iso images of RedHat 9 onto 3 cds in iso9660 format
    > using a WinXP machine. I plan a single boot system on another PC. I
    > have the machine set to boot from the CD-ROM drive. I start the
    > machine and it boots normally into the old Linux version.
    >
    > What did I do wrong, or not do? I read the doentation at RedHat,
    > but it quickly starting using terms I was unfamiliar with. I've used
    > mostly Windows.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Ken

    J Guest

  7. #7

    [TOP POSTING REARRANGED]

    John please read what the OP wrote. I quote:
    "I have the machine set to boot from the CD-ROM drive."

    And while you are at it, please stop top posting.

    --
    Registered Linux User # 125653 ([url]http://counter.li.org[/url]) | Please remove
    Certified: 55% , 31% of which is tard. | '.invalid'

  8. #8

    On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 21:51:52 -0400, "J" <jn.c> wrote:
    >Is your boot order correct in you cmos?
    Yes, thanks.

    --
    Ken
    Ken Loomis Guest

  9. #9

    > On 4 Sep 2003 15:50:04 +1200, Llanzlan Klazmon The 15th
    > <LlanzlanLlurdiaxorb.net> wrote:
    >
    >>The burner I have has an option that says "Create CD from CD image
    >>file".
    >
    > Yep, that's what I did and I got good disks that passed the crc check
    > on Linux. Only thing was I got a "media' or hardare problem " when
    > installing. So I'm bummed. Maybe the download was bad? Would it
    > stall pass the disk check if the download was bad?
    >
    > Ken

    Do you get the same problem if you try installing them on a different PC?

    L.
    Llanzlan Klazmon The 15th Guest

  10. #10

    On 10 Sep 2003 12:40:56 +1200, Llanzlan Klazmon The 15th
    <LlanzlanLlurdiaxorb.net> wrote:

    >> Yep, that's what I did and I got good disks that passed the crc check
    >> on Linux. Only thing was I got a "media' or hardware problem " when
    >> installing. So I'm bummed. Maybe the download was bad? Would it
    >> stall pass the disk check if the download was bad?
    >
    >Do you get the same problem if you try installing them on a different PC?
    I haven't got a spare PC to do that on, and repartioning my
    development machine is not something I can even think about. Also...
    the original install on this system produced Gnome just fine, but
    re-installing the original forces the monitor to throw some kind of
    internal switch and then X won't come up. The monitor is an older
    one, but it's in the list of supported devices.

    --
    Ken
    Ken Loomis Guest