Professional Web Applications Themes

Installing keyboards into classic system - Mac Applications & Software

Greetings! I'm trying to help a former student of mine who just started a new job at a university where they bought him a brand new and current Powerbook G4 with a 12" screen. He needs to use classic for some old legacy stuff, and he also needs to have access to some custom keyboard layouts (KCHR files). But he can't figure out how to install them into the classic system. Normally you just drop them into the System file, but classic won't let him do that. He also can't open the system file; this produces an error message, even ...

  1. #1

    Default Installing keyboards into classic system

    Greetings!

    I'm trying to help a former student of mine who just started a new job
    at a university where they bought him a brand new and current Powerbook
    G4 with a 12" screen. He needs to use classic for some old legacy stuff,
    and he also needs to have access to some custom keyboard layouts (KCHR
    files). But he can't figure out how to install them into the classic
    system. Normally you just drop them into the System file, but classic
    won't let him do that. He also can't open the system file; this produces
    an error message, even when classic is not running ("Item 'System' is
    used by Mac OS X and cannot be opened." -- Why does OS X need it when it
    is not running? And that error message isn't even good English...)

    When I faced this problem, with the same keyboard docs, I just booted my
    Quicksilver G4 867 into OS 9 and had no trouble there. He can't
    currently boot into OS 9, as his brand new Powerbook G4 doesn't see the
    classic system folder in the Startup preference pane.

    So my question is, is there any other way to install keyboard resources
    into the classic System file other than booting into OS 9?

    Thanks in advance for any informed responses!

    George Fowler
    gfowler AT indiana DOT edu

    George Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Installing keyboards into classic system

    In article <ipbbc.net>,
    George Nospam <net> wrote:

    Is he dropping them into System or System Folder?

    --
    AF
    "Non Sequitur U has a really, really lousy debate team."

  3. #3

    George Nospam <net> wrote:

    I just tested this, and you can do it using ResEdit. I don't have any
    keyboard resources to add to my classic System file, but with ResEdit I
    was able to get to where I could have pasted resources if I had any on
    hand.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    Mike Guest

  4. #4

    In article <panix.com>,
    Alice Faber <com> wrote:

    They have to go into the System *file*, loose in the System Folder does
    no good. That's where they wind up if you drop them into the closed
    System Folder.

    George

    George Guest

  5. #5

    In article <1g0vlci.rge9igvvb5ysN%invalid>,
    invalid (Mike Rosenberg) wrote:

    OK, this is really helpful. I just opened a backup OS 9 System file and
    pasted in a keyboard resource, and it took it fine. Thanks very much!

    George

    George Guest

  6. #6

    In article <ipbbc.net>,
    George Nospam <net> wrote:

    > They have to go into the System *file*, loose in the System Folder does
    > no good. That's where they wind up if you drop them into the closed
    > System Folder.[/ref]

    OK...Never mind...