Professional Web Applications Themes

Installing linux of anykind on a non partitioned 60GB disk - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

the recovery CD hasnt got an option to partition the 60GB disk into small chunk. Ideally a 30GB for XP and another 10GB for data and the rest for linux. As most experts reocommend that to install XP first and then install linux, but the reovery CD doesnt allow that option it delets all partions and installs XP. Well i've got a couple of linux distributions. RedHat 9.0 Slackware 9.0 and a couple of live distributions. Is it possible to re-size a FAT32 partition without having to install xp after installing linux. I could live with the live distribution but ...

  1. #1

    Default Installing linux of anykind on a non partitioned 60GB disk

    the recovery CD hasnt got an option to partition the 60GB disk into
    small chunk. Ideally a 30GB for XP and another 10GB for data and the
    rest for linux. As most experts reocommend that to install XP first
    and then install linux, but the reovery CD doesnt allow that option it
    delets all partions and installs XP.

    Well i've got a couple of linux distributions.
    RedHat 9.0
    Slackware 9.0
    and a couple of live distributions.

    Is it possible to re-size a FAT32 partition without having to install
    xp after installing linux.

    I could live with the live distribution but the stupid HSF u.s
    robotics modem doesnt work under linux and except on SUSE 8.1 live
    eval on ther other live distribution the AC97 compatible C-media
    soundcard doesnt work. Well i could live with out that but on SUSE 8.1
    there are no C compilers for me to compile ma C files. (ie gcc or cc)

    Any help guys?
    marsques Guest

  2. #2

    marsques wrote:
    > the recovery CD hasnt got an option to partition the 60GB disk into
    > small chunk. Ideally a 30GB for XP and another 10GB for data and the
    > rest for linux. As most experts reocommend that to install XP first
    > and then install linux, but the reovery CD doesnt allow that option it
    > delets all partions and installs XP.
    I ran into this with my laptop; the restore CD made it all one big
    partition. I ended up installing XP and then using Partition Magic
    version 7 to resize my XP partition. Worked like a charm, made a
    30 Gb partition into a 15, which left plenty of space for RH.

    Steve Martin Guest

  3. #3

    Steve Martin <smartinwateadelphia.net> wrote in message news:<8xL%a.12210$2Y6.3258075news2.news.adelphia. net>...
    > marsques wrote:
    > > the recovery CD hasnt got an option to partition the 60GB disk into
    > > small chunk. Ideally a 30GB for XP and another 10GB for data and the
    > > rest for linux. As most experts reocommend that to install XP first
    > > and then install linux, but the reovery CD doesnt allow that option it
    > > delets all partions and installs XP.
    >
    > I ran into this with my laptop; the restore CD made it all one big
    > partition. I ended up installing XP and then using Partition Magic
    > version 7 to resize my XP partition. Worked like a charm, made a
    > 30 Gb partition into a 15, which left plenty of space for RH.
    cheers! after partitioning using partition magic does XP give trouble?
    by the way is ur laptop ACER?
    marsques Guest