Professional Web Applications Themes

Installing on LINUX - MySQL

Hi, I am trying to install MySQL on LINUX, but I can't find the Client programs or the shortcuts to. I am just downloading Generic RPMS for SUSE. How do I get a Client Program like Adminstrator running?...

  1. #1

    Default Installing on LINUX

    Hi,

    I am trying to install MySQL on LINUX, but I can't find the Client programs
    or the shortcuts to. I am just downloading Generic RPMS for SUSE.

    How do I get a Client Program like Adminstrator running?

    Jared Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Installing on LINUX

    I had MySQL, along with the other databases and all development tools
    that ship with SUSE Linux v 10 installed by YaST when I first installed
    it. And as I am just beginning to study the administration of Linux
    and servers on it, everything is installed in its default place in the
    default configuration as YaST understands that. I find and start the
    client programs from the system menu. I won't begin to describe the
    menus as they're too big and complicated for that, but I found the
    menus intuitive to navigate so finding the DB clients should be
    relatively easy.

    I have not even begun to try to figure out how to upgrade MySQL to its
    latest version from the version included in the SUSE distribution (I
    have never used RPMs before). BTW, aren't Administrator and Query
    Browser separate downloadable files? It isn't clear from your note
    whether you're downloading just the server or the server plus the
    client files.

    What I found difficult is finding out whether or not MySQL is running,
    and I keep getting errors about the client programs not being able to
    connect to it through some socket. I am not sure I understand this. I
    thought that by default I'd be connecting using the TCP/IP stack.

    I hope this helps at least a little.

    Ted

    Ted Guest

  3. #3

    Jared wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am trying to install MySQL on LINUX, but I can't find the Client programs
    > or the shortcuts to. I am just downloading Generic RPMS for SUSE.
    >
    > How do I get a Client Program like Adminstrator running?

    MySQL Administrator is a separate program you need to download.

    Besides the MySQL server, you do have a command-line program (mysql) which you
    can use to perform basically all operations on the database. But the
    Administrator makes things a lot easier.

    --
    ==================
    Remove the "x" from my email address

  4. #4

    I am using mysql on linux, but I don't have a GUI.
    Mysql is installed in "/usr/local/mysql"

    If you want to connect into the database daemon, you have to use a
    client. It is simply called "mysql". This file is found under
    "/usr/local/mysql/bin/" for me. It will depend on where SUSE installed
    your mysql software.
    There are a few programs that allow you to connect into the server, for
    example there is also mysqladmin. Hope this helps a little bit.

    roch77@gmail.com Guest