Professional Web Applications Themes

Installing OS 9 using a hardware specific CD - Mac Applications & Software

Does anyone know how to make a OS 9.0.4 Install CD for the "G4 Power Mac" install OS 9 on an older PPC with a 603e processor? I received an email from a guy that is selling iMac CD's on eBay saying that they will install on any PPC Mac that has a 603 processor or better, see his email listed: ==============Original message text=============== On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 06:10:24 -0700 "USER NAME LEFT BLANK" wrote: Yup, I tested it on all of them. I used to work for a shop that services these Macs. There is a procedure for ...

  1. #1

    Default Installing OS 9 using a hardware specific CD

    Does anyone know how to make a OS 9.0.4 Install CD for the "G4 Power
    Mac" install OS 9 on an older PPC with a 603e processor?

    I received an email from a guy that is selling iMac CD's on eBay
    saying that they will install on any PPC Mac that has a 603 processor
    or better, see his email listed:
    ==============Original message text===============
    On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 06:10:24 -0700 "USER NAME LEFT BLANK" wrote:

    Yup, I tested it on all of them. I used to work for a shop that
    services these Macs. There is a procedure for transferring the OS to
    the macs without using the install script on the CD and it is all laid
    out on the instructions that I provide. Not very many people are
    aware of this. I do stand behind my claim and I do not do any false
    advertising.

    Now I've asked him if could provide me with a copy of those
    instructions, because I was given a OS 9.0.4 install CD for a G4 and
    I know that it will not work because I have an older 603e processor.
    This guy will not provide me the instructions he is talking about
    inless I buy his iMac CD which I don't need if all I need is the
    instructions.
    Eric Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Installing OS 9 using a hardware specific CD

    In article <google.com>,
    net (Eric Schwarzkopf) wrote:

    Don't do it...

    The process for the iMac CD is *FAIRLY* simple, but *DOES NOT* give you
    a "complete" install - among other things, trying to do anything with
    the "Modem" control panel will puke on you, apparently due to some part
    (So far, I haven't figured out precisely WHAT part, or if there's a way
    to work around it being missing) of the Apple Guide system not getting
    installed.

    FWIW: Here's a simplified breakdown of his directions as I got them:

    Boot the CD (He tells us we've gotta do this 'cause of the longer
    filenames that are possible under 9 - MacOS < 9 can't handle copying
    some of the files on the CD because the filenames are too long - I can't
    say for sure whether he's right, wrong, or otherwise)

    Fiddle with window size/positioning to get the "Configurations" folder
    into view. Open it up. Inside, you'll find the files "iMac HD.readme"
    and "iMac HD.img".

    Mount the "iMac HD.img" file (you'll probably use DiskCopy automatically
    - that's fine)

    Copy everything from the image to your HD. Go out and get a sandwich...
    it takes a while, even on a quick machine.

    Now that you've finished your sandwich, hopefully the copy is complete
    and 9 is sitting on your HD. If it isn't yet, go watch some TV, build a
    1/2 scale model of the Casbah using only toothpicks and elmer's glue as
    raw material, have another sandwich, or do something similarly
    time-consuming... If it is, go into the System Folder (on the HD...) and
    delete a couple iMac specific things (Mainly the "ROM" file and 9.0.4
    enabler - there were a couple more, but without the instructions right
    here in front of me, I can'tremember them)

    Reboot from your HD.

    Poof. You're done.

    If you'd be so kind as to get with me via Email (Mine's "in the clear")
    with the seller's name/Email, I'd appreciate it. If it's the same guy,
    and from what you say, it sounds like it is, I'm wanting to get back in
    touch with him, and all attempts to contact him through the address that
    worked during the auction have failed and/or been ignored. Not sure if
    that's because he uses a throwaway address per auction, doesn't want to
    hear from me, or something else, but I need to get with him to get a
    fresh copy of his "instructions" (Which I've managed to lose) to see if
    they contain a hint at how/why the problem with the "Modem" control
    panel comes about. Maybe I deleted something more than I should have?
    Maybe I *DIDN'T* delete something I should have? Maybe, maybe, maybe...
    Maybe don't cure the problem!

    Whatever the exact cause, internet connectivity can't be set up due to
    the modem control panel failing to run, so from where I sit, the install
    method is pretty well useless. Thankfully, I cashed out on this deal for
    a fairly small price tag, so I'm not out much.

    --
    Don Bruder - net <--- Preferred Email - unmunged, SpamAssassinated
    Hate SPAM? See <http://www.spamassassin.org> for some seriously great info.

  3. #3

    Eric Schwarzkopf <net> wrote:

    I doubt it will work. Why just just buy the generic OS 9 for your Mac?

    stan@temple.edu Guest