Professional Web Applications Themes

Installing PHP and mySQL for Flash - Macromedia Flash Data Integration

Which versions PHP and mySQL do I install to test Flash Data Integration? 1. This is my first PHP/mySQL project and also the first one using Flash 8 Pro. 2.I've investigated the mySQL and PHP web sites and they appear to be server based installs. 3. What and/or how do you install mySQL and PHP on the local Windows XP Pro PC so that I can develop and test the Flash data integration, especially since I am not connected to a network when I am authoring content. (My UNIX hosting server does have mySQL and PHP installed though.) Thanks...

  1. #1

    Default Installing PHP and mySQL for Flash

    Which versions PHP and mySQL do I install to test Flash Data Integration?

    1. This is my first PHP/mySQL project and also the first one using Flash 8 Pro.

    2.I've investigated the mySQL and PHP web sites and they appear to be server
    based installs.

    3. What and/or how do you install mySQL and PHP on the local Windows XP Pro PC
    so that I can develop and test the Flash data integration,

    especially since I am not connected to a network when I am authoring content.
    (My UNIX hosting server does have mySQL and PHP installed though.)

    Thanks

    MYSCREENNAMEISUNAVAILABLE Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Installing PHP and mySQL for Flash

    You ought to install:
    Apache server 2.2 or newer on your computer. After instalation you have local
    server on your computer and you needn't to use remote server or Internet.
    Any PHP version
    Any mySQL version - in this order
    All three are free (open source)
    It is necessary to do some changes in configuration files of these programms.
    It is not complicated but need several pages of text to explain.
    Try to buy or find in local library book:
    David Powers. Foundation PHP5 for Flash (2005 edition). It is old but have the
    best explanation how to install Apache, PHP5 and MySQL and how to configure
    them to cooperation. The configuration is still he same and will work with
    Flash CS3.
    Later, Dreamweaver is the best to manage PHP5, MySQL and Flash files, however
    it is possible to work without it.
    Sorry for my English but I am not from English language country :-)

    istis Guest

  3. #3

    Hi

    You can do what 'istis' suggested -but this seems a harder option.

    Alternatively, who can google 'LAMP'
    Linux - Apache - MySql - Php/Perl/Python, there many free ones to download and
    install

    Installation is relatively simple and usually comes with plenty of
    instructions - once installed and setup you can then use localhost as your
    development location.

    Hope it helps

    The Feldkircher Guest

  4. #4

    (see my post above - I am using Windows XP Pro SP1 - not Linux)

    Do I still install Apache Server 2.2 on the Win XP machine for offline development work?
    MYSCREENNAMEISUNAVAILABLE Guest

  5. #5

    1. I went to download.com and searched for WAMP and installed
    [url]http://www.download.com/Web-Developer-Server-Suite/3000-2165_4-10618742.html?tag[/url]
    =lst-0-2

    after installing Service Pack 2 as the Apache doentation for Windows said
    that it needs SP2 for Apache version 2.2

    The Web developer suite automatically installed Apache 2.2, PHP 5.0 and mySQL
    5.

    2. I created an exception in the Windows Firewall titled "Apache" for port 80.
    3. Apache WON'T START and gives me error 01 - I can't figure out what's going
    on.
    4. PHP is installed but as WON'T START.
    5. mySQL started automatically.
    6. I'm reviewing Apache's website but am quite confused about what to do.

    MYSCREENNAMEISUNAVAILABLE Guest

  6. #6

    Hi

    Seems you have an old copy of Wed Developer Server Suite and you definitely
    need Windows SP2 for this.

    Go [url]http://sourceforge.net/projects/webdeveloper/[/url] and get the latest copy of
    W.D.S.Suite.

    Its pre-configured for Windows and automatically installs and starts
    everything you need for localhost development.

    You will have un-install the previous version, run a Registry Cleaner if you
    have one, then re-install new version.

    If all goes well then you can use C:\www as your web root folder.

    Hope it helps

    The Feldkircher Guest

  7. #7

    1. I must thank everyone on this forum for responding. This is trully driving
    me insane!
    2. I have "David Powers. Foundation PHP5 for Flash (2005 edition)" on the way
    from amazon
    3. I followed the procedure and reinstalled Web Developer suite v2.00. I had
    v1.93.
    4. Of the 3 registry cleaners that I downloaded for "free", the all scan for
    free, but you have to pay to register the product to fix the problems that it
    finds. Any suggestions for a real free one (AVG Virus Scanner is trully free
    and great!)
    5. I discovered that Apache wouldn't run when IIS was running and gave me
    error(1).

    However when IIS is stopped , Apache 2.2, php5, and mySQL 5 are ALL RUNNING
    according to the Web Developer suite v2.00 console.

    I put the flashsql_v31.php file in the c:\\www directory as per the
    instructions of Netdrims and pointed to this path with the Component Inspector
    and I am still getting the same error.
    (see my other post)
    Error opening URL "file://c:\www.flashsql_v31.php?typ=&id=210"

    I get a different id number everytime I test the sample flash file that came
    with the component.

    Any advice? I still haven't gotten a response from Netdrims tech support and
    would really like to get this thing to work.

  8. #8

    OK - your making progress and have a running Web.Dev Suite

    So that you can develop locally its best to create a folder in your C:\www -
    any name you want ie: 'flashdevfolder'
    Place all your html, php, swf's and associated images inside this folder and
    run it from localhost.

    Using c:\\localhost\flashdevfolder\target.html or
    c:\\localhost\flashdevfolder\target.php

    Substitute these 'target.html' and .target.php' for the actual name of your
    file.

    Hope it helps

    The Feldkircher Guest

  9. #9

    I must thank you again for your consideration in helping me out.

    "Place all your html, php, swf's and associated images inside this folder and
    run it from localhost.

    Using c:\\localhost\flashdevfolder\target.html or
    c:\\localhost\flashdevfolder\target.php"

    1. In order to represent Netdrims properly, I just got an email that I
    received a 50% refund on the product because I am an academic as per their word
    they said that they would because I paid full price before learning there was a
    discount

    -- however, I still didn't a tech support response (from the same person as
    who sent the refund - must be a 1 man shop)

    2. What does "run from it from localhost" mean? You mean the offline computer
    that I am developing on?

    3. Are you saying that:

    a) create a c:\www\flashdev folder

    b) copy the flashsql_v31.php file into the c:\www\flashdev folder?

    c) rename the flashsql_v31.php file as target.php

    d) In the SQL component from Netdrims, use the Component Inspector window
    which points to the flashsql_v31.php file (now target.php) for the filepath
    write:

    c:\localhost\flashdev\target.php INSTEAD OF c:\www\flashdev\target.php

    e) What is the rationale behind doing this (hopefully the David Powers book
    will explain this)?

    This is my first time doing this

    Thanks.

    BTW - do you know how I change my screen name from MYSCREENNAMEISUNAVAILABLE -
    there's nothing in the Profile on the Adobe Forum about and I feel like a dork
    without a screen name like everyone else on the forum.

    MYSCREENNAMEISUNAVAILABLE Guest

  10. #10

    1. Web Developer suite console shows BOTH Apache and IIS running now.
    with mySQL and PHP extensions.
    2. I followed the instructions above using either:
    c:\localhost\flashdev\target.php OR c:\www\flashdev\target.php

    3. I also put the MSaccess flashsql.mdb file, sqlsample.fla file in the
    c:\www\flashdev folder along with target.php in the same file.

    but to no avail - I'm still getting:
    Error opening URL "file://c:\www\flashdev\target.php?typ=&id=SOME NUMBER"

    Arggh!

  11. #11

    should read "along with target in the same folder"
    MYSCREENNAMEISUNAVAILABLE Guest

  12. #12

    (a copy of my email to netdrims is as follows:)

    Dear Coker Isaac (netdrims.com tech support - if netdrims is still in business)

    Thank you for your refund.

    I am really, really, not trying to be difficult but I am way confused ---

    your [url]http://www.netdrims.com[/url] website is now replaced with a lovely lass
    selling all kinds of car parts or webcams or insurance or debt consolidation ,
    etc.. While she's beautiful, I really, really want to be able to use your
    FlashSql component.

    and flexcubed.com (some affiliate company of yours) is just a picture of a
    mouse for a PC.
    I've searched on actionscript.org about your product without a clue.

    You've put so much wonderful effort into FlashSQL and I am very confused about
    setting up the filepath/filesource. It appears that I can't proceed without
    your help despite the generous help of these adobe forum good people.

    With the absence/change of your various websites from Flash components to cars
    and lack of email response - it's become really rather frustrating in
    proceeding.

    I recognize that your products have been/are free to inexpensive, but I
    purchased it with the intention of solving mySQL problem. But on the otherhand,
    since you are offering these components for sale on adobe.com/exchange with a
    listing of techsupport, I would suppose that someone could get the support they
    need to be up and running.

    In this regard, I very nicely collated your help file into MS Word, Pdf, and
    Flashpaper versions much more suitable for printing into a paper manual and
    uploaded them to you so that you could provide them to future users so there
    would be less need for anyone to contact you in the future.

    Once this first-time use issue is resolved, I similarly intend to send you a
    readme file that you could distribute along with your product so others needn't
    go through similar frustration and you could have more peace of mind in not
    having many people contact you.

    I've installed Apache,PHP,mySQL under Win XP SP2 with IIs.

    I just want to be able to get thing working so I can move on using your manual
    and samples.

    Please review my posts under "MYSCREENNAMEISUNAVAILABLE"

    [url]http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/categories.cfm?forumid=15&catid=294[/url]
    &entercat=y

    MYSCREENNAMEISUNAVAILABLE Guest

  13. #13

    Hi

    Point 2. localhost is run through a web browser open IE and type
    c:\\localhost\flashdev\target

    c:\\localhost points to 127.0.0.1 which equal to entering c:\\www.

    3a. yes
    3b. yes
    3c. No you can leave it as it is - it maybe that this is referenced somewhere
    inside the flash extension.
    d. If that is what is needed then do it.

    Is this extension Flash based or PHP/SQL Based?

    The Feldkircher Guest

  14. #14

    Dear Mr. FeldKircher:
    I looked at your blog and saw that you need more space. Perhaps you'd like to
    consider where I've chosen to host my website on [url]http://www.aplus.net/[/url]

    someone at my school recommended it and it's cheap, large, and has excellent
    24/7 tech support.

    I have shared UNIX server space of ~170G for ~$120/yr. You can also be hosted
    on a Windows system but I chose UNIX for the php/mysql development that you're
    helping me with.

    I have no problem with bandwidth in using Flash encoded videos via progressive
    download at native DV resolution 720x480.

    You can see some of my work if you wish including the project that I did last
    year for my school.
    [url]http://www.4themax.com[/url] (splash page and flash ads)

    [url]http://www.4themax.com/home_flash.html[/url] (flash home page)

    [url]http://www.4themax.com/education/di/DI.html[/url] (education page)

    Note: the site is still under construction

    Thanks again for your help - I'm digesting and working on your last response.

    MYSCREENNAMEISUNAVAILABLE Guest

  15. #15

    Hi

    I finally found some info relating to your extension - I wouldn't expect too
    much support from the developer(s) has they've been taken over by another team.
    Netdrims no longer exists and has been consumed by Flexcubed.com.

    Unfortunately Flexcubed.com only has a 'in development' homepage - really
    helpful.

    I did find a small summary on Actionscript.org - but no config details - will
    continue to look.

    So I now know what it should do - but not how......!

    Thanx for the tip - I'll have a look at [url]www.aplus.net[/url]

    The Feldkircher Guest

  16. #16

    This is your man....

    [url]http://www.freecfmxhosting.com/developers/view_details.cfm?developer_id=349[/url]
    The Feldkircher Guest

  17. #17

    1. the FlashSQL component that I'm trying to use is a component used in the
    Flash 8 authoring environment, not in PHP, as you asked.
    2. I did as you said, and had Flash publish and HTML and SWF file, after
    setting up the filepath and datasourcepaths in either the Component Inspector
    and as an actionscript (using the statements supplied in the help file)
    3. I browsed the HTML file with IE INSTEAD OF using "Test" within the Flash
    Environment.
    4. I DIDN'T get a couldn't find flashsql_v31.php file error as before, BUT
    unfortunately,
    the SWF kept saying "Loading Data" and nothing came up in the DataGrid.

    5. Considering that this company is either defunct or not supporting their
    product, I am almost considering asking you if I could email you the file and
    have you get it to work on your WAMP machine so that I could proceed.

    6. I have a really timely project for my school in which I am developing a NY
    State Regents testing web app which will greatly help the students graduate.

    7. Yes Coker Isaac of Netdrims has been the only one whom I've received emails
    albeit some come back undeliverable.

    8. I received the David Powers book today on 2nd day Amazon instead of
    tomorrow and perhaps it'll also have some insight; however, I don't think that
    he SPECIFICALLY will address how to use this FlashSQL component that I bought
    on Adobe Exchange from Netdrims which I thought was my easy, elegant solution
    for my Flash-SQL interface.

    Thanks for your support. Let me know if you want me to send you the Netdrim
    FlashSQL file.

    MYSCREENNAMEISUNAVAILABLE Guest

  18. #18

    Hi

    Yeah send me the file to [email]thefeldkircherhotmail.com[/email] two heads are better than
    one they say.
    And any doentation that came with it.

    not talking.

    This maybe a silly question but you do have an SQL Database configured and
    filled with data?
    Is there any login verification needed between the Database and the FlashSql
    extension?

    I will have a look at it and let you know as soon as I find something.

    The Feldkircher Guest

  19. #19

    Hi

    Ok!.. This is what I have so far..

    1.. I copied all the files you sent to a Netdrims folder on my Hard drive
    2.. I placed flashsql_v31.php and flashsql.mdb to C:\www\flashsql
    3.. I opened flashsql.fla and check the settings for the flashsql.mxp
    4.. Ran the flashsql.fla in the Flash IDE and clicked 'Load Data' - Output
    Panel - Connection Error Unknown Database.
    5.. Made a few changes but to no avail.
    6.. Pointed the flashsql.mxp to an existing Database I have setup in MySQL
    -(Not .mdb) made the necessary changes to the Actionscript and voila - data
    arrived.

    So I can get it to talk to and receive from an mySQL database but not the
    flashsql.mdb

    I think this has to do with the localhost connection, because we need a
    localhost to run php and we have to login in to it. It thinks were looking for
    a mySQL Database.

    Will continue until I break it.........................

    The Feldkircher Guest

  20. #20

    Hi

    So far everything points to using IIS, MDAC and ODBC with the flashsql.mxp
    extension when pointed to an .mdb
    Using webroot of your installed IIS, not the webroot of Web Developer Server
    Suite.

    Most of this comes pre-installed with Windows Pro, although you may need to
    update your MDAC definitions from the Microsoft website. Once installed you can
    then setup your .mdb as a ODBC source using the ODBC Administrator in Control
    Panel.
    Help and Support will show you how to set this up.

    One thing that concerns me about this extension is that whenever you need to
    change your Queries then you have to open the .fla every time and modifiy the
    appropriate code and re-publish a swf. Not very dynamic - or did I miss
    something......!

    I will continue for a while longer, but I dont have an IIS service on my
    machine.

    The Feldkircher Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast