Professional Web Applications Themes

Installing RH 9 w/o CD and/or Broadband - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hi, I have a generic system with a PII 233 (slow) and a 3 GB hd, currently running the now outdated Windows 95. I wish to install Red Hat Linux 9 on the system, and I know how to partition the hard drive, use swap partitions, etc., but the system's CD-Rom drive isn't working, and there aren't any other systems that I can network to it to access the CD. (The drive is an IDE drive, a 24x Samsung of some sort, I believe.) The CD-Rom drive has power, if anyone is wondering, and the tray opens and closes, but ...

  1. #1

    Default Installing RH 9 w/o CD and/or Broadband

    Hi,

    I have a generic system with a PII 233 (slow) and a 3 GB hd, currently
    running the now outdated Windows 95. I wish to install Red Hat Linux 9 on
    the system, and I know how to partition the hard drive, use swap
    partitions, etc., but the system's CD-Rom drive isn't working, and there
    aren't any other systems that I can network to it to access the CD. (The
    drive is an IDE drive, a 24x Samsung of some sort, I believe.)

    The CD-Rom drive has power, if anyone is wondering, and the tray opens and
    closes, but discs aren't recognized properly, so the drive doesn't start
    spinning the CD and reading it. I opened the case and checked, the cables
    seem to be intact, so a loose IDE cable doesn't seem to be a problem, and
    there don't seem to be any alternate free IDE interfaces to try.

    The computer also connects to the internet via a dial-up internet account,
    so I can't use a network adapter based installation, even if there was a
    form of FTP or HTTP or NFS server to use.

    Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can install Red Hat, such as a
    boot disk installer that can run ppp connections and download, or a cd
    download that I could use to install from, or something I might want to try
    on the IDE drive?

    If you need more information, let me know (or reply to this message) and I
    can give it to you.

    Thanks in advance,
    Michael
    com (please reply in the news group or via e-mail)
    mrc91 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Installing RH 9 w/o CD and/or Broadband

    did u download the 3 disk from redhat web site if u did then u can boot
    from the disk 1 to install it dont for get that u have to enable boot
    from cd-rom drive its in the bios setting check it in boot section area

    Ancer Guest

  3. #3

    On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 14:23:03 -0700, mrc91 wrote:

    Based on your statements of limited network resources, the only option I
    see is to replace the failed CDROM drive. If you had a LAN, then a floppy
    based install would be possible using a CD drive on another computer (the
    setup discs are available via FTP/SMB/etc.) A fast connection to the
    internet is not needed.

    BTW, 233 MHz is not going to have stellar performance in graphics modes.
    If you are going to use it, add as much RAM as you can.

    --
    Douglas Mayne
    Douglas Guest

  4. #4

    Can you please clarify this? I can't read or understand it... easily...
    boot from cd-rom? Maybe you misunderstand me, I can not use *any* cd-roms in
    the drive, not the thing won't boot from CD.

    Thanks in advance,
    Michael
    com (please replay in the news group of via e-mail)
    "Ancer" <com> wrote in message

    mrc91 Guest

  5. #5

    "Douglas Mayne" <com> wrote in message
    > Based on your statements of limited network resources, the only option I
    > see is to replace the failed CDROM drive. If you had a LAN, then a floppy
    > based install would be possible using a CD drive on another computer (the
    > setup discs are available via FTP/SMB/etc.) A fast connection to the
    > internet is not needed.
    >
    > BTW, 233 MHz is not going to have stellar performance in graphics modes.
    > If you are going to use it, add as much RAM as you can.
    >
    > --
    > Douglas Mayne[/ref]
    Thanks for the tips on the graphics/memory issue.
    So you're certain that there is no way to run an installation over PPP or
    from the hard disk...?
    And what counts as a "LAN" exactly; for example if I had a serial or usb
    cable running through two pcs would it work?
    Thanks for your advice anyways.

  6. #6

    On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 mrc91 wrote:

    All you gotta do is get all three ISO's of RH9 (how, is your problem :)
    on a harddrive that is partitioned ext2/FAT32. Plug that harddrive as
    hdb or whatever and then install RH9 from Harddisk. Ofcourse, you need a
    floppy for the installer and initial kernel image.

    I hope you have not stalemated yourself.

    GL
    V.
    Vwakes Guest

  7. #7

    On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 18:00:56 -0700, Douglas Mayne wrote:

    >> Thanks for the tips on the graphics/memory issue. So you're certain that
    >> there is no way to run an installation over PPP or from the hard
    >> disk...?
    >> And what counts as a "LAN" exactly; for example if I had a serial or usb
    >> cable running through two pcs would it work? Thanks for your advice
    >> anyways.
    >> Michael
    >> com (please replay in the news group of via e-mail
    >>[/ref][/ref]
    This doent has some good information:
    http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/install-guide/

    To begin you will need either A. or B.:

    A.) RedHat 9 cds
    Catch: CDROM broken.
    Solution: Fix/replace CDROM drive.

    B.) The ISO image files which can be saved to a FAT, ext2, or ext3
    partition.
    Catch: no fast networking, no ethernet.
    Solution: ?

    If you already have the cd's, it is easiest just to fix the drive. If you
    don't already have the cd's, then downloading the ISO image files probably
    is not practical at dialup speeds. If you don't have either a cdrom or
    ethernet, then I don't think I can really help. Setting up using USB
    "networking" or PPP is beyond my experience (and sounds hard and/or slow.)
    You would put in twice as much effort trying to get these interfaces to
    work, as you would replacing the CD drive or installing an ethernet
    interface.

    --
    Douglas Mayne
    Douglas Guest

  8. #8

    "Douglas Mayne" <localnet> wrote in message
    news:localnet... [/ref][/ref]
    Red [/ref][/ref]
    isn't [/ref][/ref]
    that [/ref][/ref]
    usb [/ref]
    > This doent has some good information:
    > http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/install-guide/
    >
    > To begin you will need either A. or B.:
    >
    > A.) RedHat 9 cds
    > Catch: CDROM broken.
    > Solution: Fix/replace CDROM drive.
    >
    > B.) The ISO image files which can be saved to a FAT, ext2, or ext3
    > partition.
    > Catch: no fast networking, no ethernet.
    > Solution: ?[/ref]

    Or a merged disk image of the ISO contents (available the same places you
    download the ISO images) and boot floppies to allow you to either install
    them from a reserved disk partition with the files, or to do a network
    installation from a nearby FTP or HTTP or NFS server on your home network.
    Laptops are useful for this.

    Nico Guest

  9. #9

    "mrc91" <com> wrote in message
    in

    You can take out a cd-rom from a machine that has a working one
    and use it temporarily. Or take out the win95 disk and hook it up
    temporarily to a unit which has a working cdrom; just transfer the
    cables from the working drive to the win95 drive.

    >[/ref]

    Stephen Guest