Professional Web Applications Themes

Installing windows after linux (dual boot) - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hello guys, I have RedHat Linux installed on my PC (using GRUB) I would like to know if there is an easy way to install Windows as dual boot? (VMWare is expensive) I am looking at Linux Docs and telling my self that it can't be that complicated. Any suggestions or links. Thanks Prabh...

  1. #1

    Default Installing windows after linux (dual boot)

    Hello guys,

    I have RedHat Linux installed on my PC (using GRUB)
    I would like to know if there is an easy way to install Windows as
    dual boot? (VMWare is expensive) I am looking at Linux Docs and
    telling my self that it can't be that complicated.

    Any suggestions or links.

    Thanks
    Prabh
    Prabh Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Installing windows after linux (dual boot)

    Hello

    Prabh (<ca>) wrote:

    It isn't complicated.

    1. Windows will overwrite your Bootloader. You have to reinstall it
    later, for example by booting from the Red Hat CDROM or a boot disk you
    made. You can of course configure Grub to let you choose between Linux
    and Windows.

    2. As far as I know, older Versions of MS Windows like Windows 98 only
    can be installed into a primary partition.

    best regards
    Andreas Janssen

    --
    Andreas Janssen
    com

  3. #3

    Prabh wrote:
    One possibility is to just install the Windows. It will certainly install.

    The only problems you are likely to get are:

    1.) It will remove your LILO or GRUB stuff from the master boot record.
    2.) It may take over the entire hard drive that you used.

    If you install the Windows stuff on what Windows calls Drive C, and your
    Linux is on what Windows calls Drive D, you may just have to boot Linux
    from your Linux boot disk (which you should have made when you
    originally installed Linux), and restore the boot block.

    If you have only one hard drive, you are out of luck. In that case,
    backup your Linux files, install the Windows, then reinstall the Linux
    and restore the Linux files from the backup.

    /V\ Registered Machine 73926.
    ^^-^^ 10:05am up 3 days, 22:51, 2 users, load average: 3.89, 3.84, 3.82

    Jean-David Guest

  4. #4

    Prabh wrote:

    I don't claim to be an expert in this,
    so ignore the following if you don't like it.

    But what I would do in your cirstances
    is to buy another hard drive (they are very cheap now).
    Install this instead of your Linux drive as master drive,
    and install Windows on it.
    (Nb If offered a choice during the installation of Windows
    I would choose VFAT rather than NTFS as file system,
    as it is easier to use with Linux.)

    Then I would re-install your Linux disk as main disk (/dev/hda)
    and have your Windows disk as slave (/dev/hdb).

    Now add an entry in /etc/grub.conf for your Windows system,
    along the following lines
    ======================================
    title Windows
    map (hd0,0) (hd1,0)
    map (hd1,0) (hd0,0)
    rootnoverify (hd1,0)
    chainloader +1
    ======================================

    Finally, run "grub-install --recheck /dev/hda"
    and hopefully you will be offered Linux or Windows on re-boot.

    Just a suggestion.
    There are other ways of doing it.

    --
    Timothy Murphy
    tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

  5. #5

    On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 10:10:39 -0500,
    Jean-David Beyer <jd.b> wrote:
    > One possibility is to just install the Windows. It will certainly install.
    >
    > The only problems you are likely to get are:
    >
    > 1.) It will remove your LILO or GRUB stuff from the master boot record.[/ref]

    It will overwrite the MBR, correct.

    Some recovery disks may do that, but installing wondows won't.

    Windows won't call the "partitions" you have linux on anything (unless
    you installed to umsdos.) 0x82 and 0x83 partition types are unknown
    partition types and ignored.

    This is strictly dependent on whether or not space is available, Windows
    9x does require a primary active partition for boot code but that is
    easily satisfied in most cases.

    Assuming you have the space, after you install windows I believe you'll
    have to run grub_install(?), and might need to tweak grub.conf(?), I use
    Lilo myself.

    Michael C.
    --
    com http://mcsuper5.freeshell.org/

    Michael Guest

  6. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Nico Guest
    Moderated Post

  7. #7

    > If you have only one hard drive, you are out of luck. In that case,

    Its just one hard drive.
    To backup and restore, can I just copy the stuff to CD and later copy it back.
    Will that work.

    Thanks.

    Prabh
    Prabh Guest

  8. #8

    "Prabh" <ca> wrote in message

    > Its just one hard drive.
    > To backup and restore, can I just copy the stuff to CD and later copy it[/ref]
    back.

    With the right tools, sure. But with those same tools you can probably
    shrink the space used by Linux and free up the rest of your partition for
    Windows: the "parted" tool on most modern Linux installation CD's should
    work just fine.

    Nico Guest

  9. #9

    On 6 Dec 2003 06:53:32 -0800, ca (Prabh) wrote:

    be prepared: most all m$ OSes will overwrite the MBR with
    their boot loader, have your Linux emergency boot disk or
    CD#1 on hand to boot the installed system and re-write grub.
    be sure to allocate a partition or two for your m$ OS, before
    you boot it. you didnt mention which winders, but the win9xx
    versions, TTBOMK, need to be on a primary partition on the
    first hard drive. maybe not.

    you also mentioned vmware, which i use. cost was a limiting
    factor for you - there are others

    Your conscience never stops you from doing anything.
    It just stops you from enjoying it.
    mjt Guest

  10. #10

    Thank you all for the information.

    With regards,

    Prabh
    Prabh Guest

  11. #11

    The timing was impeccable; I'm doing much the same thing.

    Currently, I have an old 8 gig hd with windows 98, and a newer 30 gig
    hd with RH 9, and two cd-rws that I often make copies between.

    I bought a new mb (I have been using the good old Abit BP6 for years
    now), and figured that windows would probably create all sorts of
    problems with the new mb. Also, I've lost two ide cables with the new
    mb (the BP6 had 4 cables, for 8 channels).

    I have a 15 gig partition on the hd I use with RH that I could empty
    to fill with a win 98 partition (or back up my windows 98 drive).

    The ideal solution would be to
    1) Backup my windows 98 disk onto the empty partition on the RH
    disk.
    2) Install the new mb. Install only the RH 9 hd.
    3) Make sure RH runs witht he enw mb.
    4) Install the win98 hd as the slave.
    5) Update grub to boot from the slave as well.
    6) Then boot windows 98 w/o further problems

    However, my understanding is that a bootable windows hd has to be on
    the primary IDE controller as the master.

    (Q1) Is that correct?

    (Q2) What is the proper way to do the backup (1)?

    (Q3) Could I move my RH 9 disk to the primary master, and boot
    into windows with windows installed on the currently
    empty partition on that disk?

    (Q4) If so, can I can I just copy my win98 installation to the empty
    RH partition, and update grub to boot from that partition?
    If so, is there any trick to copying over the win98
    installation?

    (Q5) If I can't just copy the win98 installation over, can I install
    it to that empty partition?

    I have a few considerations:
    1) Least risk of data loss. Least hassle.
    2) Looking for best disk and cd to cd copying efficiency.
    - Don't want to use the old 8 gig disk as a master. Figure that
    would be
    slower than having a newer device as master.
    - Figure the fastest cd-cd copying would be with both on the same
    ide
    cable, newer cdrw as master.

    Any and all advice on configuration would be appreciated, along with
    answers to Q1-Q5.

    I already have advice on upgrading a MB with windows 98 (backup, set
    video to VGA 16 color, remove all system devices under device
    controller, reboot with a minimum of devices). Also know how to make
    boot disk for RH9, and reinstall grub (currently on MBR of win98
    disk), Rumor has it that mb uprade for RH should go off w/o a hitch.

    Buy Buy -- Dan Davis
    Daniel Guest

  12. #12

    Andreas Janssen wrote:

    > It isn't complicated.
    >
    > 1. Windows will overwrite your Bootloader. You have to reinstall it
    > later, for example by booting from the Red Hat CDROM or a boot disk you
    > made. You can of course configure Grub to let you choose between Linux
    > and Windows.
    >
    > 2. As far as I know, older Versions of MS Windows like Windows 98 only
    > can be installed into a primary partition.
    >
    > best regards
    > Andreas Janssen
    >[/ref]
    Non-NT based flavors of Windows *MUST* be installed onto primary
    partitions. (Surprisingly, the same is true of all versions of
    Longhorn.) Windows NT 4, and all later NT-based versions of Windows
    (again, Longhorn is the only exception) can be installed onto
    non-primary partitions. Most later Linux kernels can read (but not
    write to) NTFS partitions (making NT-based Windows flavors the best to
    dual-boot with Linux.

    NT 4.x does *not* support (and cannot read from, or write to) FAT32
    partitions; however, Windows 2000 and Windows XP both read, write, and
    support installation onto FAT32 partitions (Linux can also read from and
    write to, FAT32 partitions; however, you cannot install or run Linux
    *from* any sort of FAT partition (or NTFS partition).

    I've already said I prefer NTFS (and of course NT flavors of Windows);
    on the Linux side, I prefer ext3 partitions (because of the journaling
    support) as compared to ext2 (ext3 is to ext2 as NTFS is to FAT32). No
    Linux newbie has any reason to muck about with ReiserFS or XFS (and both
    are a PITA to set up, boot from, or install to).

    HTH....

    Christopher L. Estep
    Christopher Guest

  13. #13

    On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 19:11:42 -0500,
    Christopher L. Estep <net> wrote:

    I can't dispute Longhorn, but to my knowledge all versions require at
    least a foot print in a primary partition for booting. And read only
    access to NTFS doesn't make NT-based flavors the best to dual boot with
    Linux, whatever that means.

    I thought there was a SP for NT4 that allowed FAT32 access, I might be
    thinking of the SP that allows NT4 to coexist on a disk with W2K.
    Linux can be installed to FAT partitions via umsdos. Slackware is
    probably the best known distro that supports it out of the box with
    ZipSlack, but there are others. For those that don't support it
    recompiling the kernel should fix that. I don't recommend umsdos, but
    it works.

    ReiserFS isn't a problem if the kernel recognizes it, if there is no
    support built in, it can be a PITA. I imagine the same is true of XFS,
    though I haven't tried.

    Michael C.