Professional Web Applications Themes

Installing WindowsXP Home Edition - Windows XP/2000/ME

I purchased Windows XP Home Edition Upgrade I now have Windows 98 and am finding it is really getting outdated. Has anyone done this & have there been problems?...

  1. #1

    Default Installing WindowsXP Home Edition

    I purchased Windows XP Home Edition Upgrade
    I now have Windows 98 and am finding it is really
    getting outdated. Has anyone done this & have
    there been problems?
    Anne Eskeitz Guest

  2. #2

    Hi Anne...I installed XP over ME and didn't have too many
    problems but my sister installed over Win98 and had
    several hardware compatibility issues. Before XP loads
    it will do a system check and let you know what hardware
    might be incompatible and will tell you what software you
    should uninstall (for instance, I needed to install the
    software for my HP all-in-one printer so XP could use
    it's own driver's). I highly recommend you print out the
    recommendations and do what it says (of course, it told
    me to uninstall the software for the printer but did
    I??? Absolutely not! I was able to overcome that but
    would have done better had I taken the suggestion).

    The good news is that if things don't work out you can
    always uninstall it!
    Diane

    Diane Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: Installing WindowsXP Home Edition

    As Diana mentioned, make sure you allow XP to check for compatibility, it
    will give you the option. MAKE SURE YOU DO IT. It will tell you what may be
    a potential problem, and I've found in most cases that even things it will
    warn you of sometimes still turn out okay.

    Patrick Sargent Guest

  4. #4

    "Anne Eskeitz" <AnneO36aol.com> wrote in message
    > I purchased Windows XP Home Edition Upgrade
    > I now have Windows 98 and am finding it is really
    > getting outdated. Has anyone done this & have
    > there been problems?

    Has anyone done what? Upgraded to XP over the top of 98?

    Yes, many people have. Although occasionally there are problems,
    it usually works fine.

    You will undoubtedly get replies telling you it's better to do a
    clean installation; many people slavishly repeat that, since it
    was much more often true with older versions of Windows. My
    advice is to at least try the upgrade over the top. If it results
    in problems (which is unlikely) you can always change your mind
    and revert to a clean installation (and lest you don't know this,
    you *can* do a clean installation with the Upgrade CD; just
    insert the Windows 98 CD as proof of ownership when requested to
    do so).

    --
    Ken Blake
    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Ken Blake Guest

  5. #5

    Not if you have the proper equipment, updated drivers, and search the net
    for xp and read up on an unlimited amount of information.

    "Anne Eskeitz" <AnneO36aol.com> wrote in message
    > I purchased Windows XP Home Edition Upgrade
    > I now have Windows 98 and am finding it is really
    > getting outdated. Has anyone done this & have
    > there been problems?

    Donald Link Guest

  6. #6

    "Ken Blake" <kblakethis.is.an.invalid.domain.com> wrote in message
    > "Anne Eskeitz" <AnneO36aol.com> wrote in message
    >
    > > I purchased Windows XP Home Edition Upgrade
    > > I now have Windows 98 and am finding it is really
    > > getting outdated. Has anyone done this & have
    > > there been problems?
    >

    > Has anyone done what? Upgraded to XP over the top of 98?
    >
    > Yes, many people have. Although occasionally there are problems,
    > it usually works fine.
    >
    > You will undoubtedly get replies telling you it's better to do a
    > clean installation; many people slavishly repeat that, since it
    > was much more often true with older versions of Windows. My
    > advice is to at least try the upgrade over the top. If it results
    > in problems (which is unlikely) you can always change your mind
    > and revert to a clean installation (and lest you don't know this,
    > you *can* do a clean installation with the Upgrade CD; just
    > insert the Windows 98 CD as proof of ownership when requested to
    > do so).
    >
    > --
    > Ken Blake
    > Please reply to the newsgroup
    I have done this on 3 of my computers and the clean install gives noticeably
    better results than the ugrade----
    Eric Booth

    Eric Booth Guest

  7. #7

    > You will undoubtedly get replies telling you it's better to do a
    > > clean installation; many people slavishly repeat that, since it
    > > was much more often true with older versions of Windows. My
    > > advice is to at least try the upgrade over the top. If it results
    > > in problems (which is unlikely) you can always change your mind
    > > and revert to a clean installation (and lest you don't know this,
    > > you *can* do a clean installation with the Upgrade CD; just
    > > insert the Windows 98 CD as proof of ownership when requested to
    > > do so).
    > >
    > > --
    > > Ken Blake
    > > Please reply to the newsgroup
    >
    > I have done this on 3 of my computers and the clean install gives
    noticeably
    > better results than the ugrade----
    > Eric Booth
    there is usually a lot of baggage from a system with an older operating
    system on the drive that is either not needed or will cause conflict
    somewhere down the road. In most cases you will need to install xp hardware
    drivers, program software, and a clean install will make sure that a lot of
    potential conflicts are not there. Besides a lot of disk space probably be
    reclaimed. The simplest is to just to upgrade and hope for the best. The
    upgrade will probably work fine in most cases but then when hardware or
    software does not work you may never know whethe it conflicts with xp or is
    caused by some leftover problems with 98.

    Donald Link Guest