Professional Web Applications Themes

Installing WinXP on VMWare - Ubuntu

I am trying to get a couple of programs I need that are Windows only to run. I've tried in WINE and in Crossover but to no avail. Now I am trying VMWare Server - latest version downloaded from their site. I got it installed alright using the howto in the ubuntu forums. I installed my copy of Windows XP Media Center (the only one I have) and it is working but not well. It crashes a lot. I installed the VMWare tools in windows and it takes FOREVER before it is enabled. Then when I try to make system ...

  1. #1

    Default Installing WinXP on VMWare

    I am trying to get a couple of programs I need that are Windows only to run.
    I've tried in WINE and in Crossover but to no avail.

    Now I am trying VMWare Server - latest version downloaded from their site.
    I got it installed alright using the howto in the ubuntu forums. I
    installed my copy of Windows XP Media Center (the only one I have) and it is
    working but not well. It crashes a lot. I installed the VMWare tools in
    windows and it takes FOREVER before it is enabled. Then when I try to make
    system configurations in Windows to speed it up, as I clicking on menus,
    etc. it crashes. Andy idea how to make it more stable?

    BigK Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Installing WinXP on VMWare

    BigK wrote:

    Hmmm....

    First of all..
    Using VMware server for running just one version of Windows
    (or any other OS) seems a bit overkill to me. I think you
    are better off using the (more lightweight) VMware Player.
    You can easily create a virtual machine using the several
    websites that are around..

    Then - I'm not sure XP Media Center is a really good choice.
    I am not very familiar with this version of Windows, but I
    think it goes like this: As the name suggests it makes heavy
    use of direct steering of hardware (to speed up media
    possibilities). Now VMware is using virtual devices, so
    there could be trouble in this combination.

    Anyway - I'm using VMware server myself and I can tell you
    Windows XP (standard version) is allmost running at native
    speed (and without any crash so far). So there must be
    something wrong with your setup...

    You did not tell us one very important thing.. How many
    memory does your computer has? And how many memory did you
    reserved for the virtual machine? Slow reactions (and
    frequent crashes) can be a sign of low memory...
    John Guest

  3. #3

    On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 17:59:07 +0200, John KLoosterman wrote:

    > Hmmm....
    >
    > First of all..
    > Using VMware server for running just one version of Windows
    > (or any other OS) seems a bit overkill to me. I think you
    > are better off using the (more lightweight) VMware Player.
    > You can easily create a virtual machine using the several
    > websites that are around..
    >
    > Then - I'm not sure XP Media Center is a really good choice.
    > I am not very familiar with this version of Windows, but I
    > think it goes like this: As the name suggests it makes heavy
    > use of direct steering of hardware (to speed up media
    > possibilities). Now VMware is using virtual devices, so
    > there could be trouble in this combination.
    >
    > Anyway - I'm using VMware server myself and I can tell you
    > Windows XP (standard version) is allmost running at native
    > speed (and without any crash so far). So there must be
    > something wrong with your setup...
    >
    > You did not tell us one very important thing.. How many
    > memory does your computer has? And how many memory did you
    > reserved for the virtual machine? Slow reactions (and
    > frequent crashes) can be a sign of low memory...[/ref]

    Thanks. I appreacite your advice. Since I already have server going
    (didn't know I could do this with player as I am just a first time user) I
    think I'll stick with what I have. I got windows going fine now. I just
    needed a reboot I guess since after doing that it seems to boot up fairly
    quickly and vm tools enables itself much faster now.

    I then got the program running that I wish to use.

    but now I am wanting to restore some files that I use in the program.
    They are saved on a USB hard drive that is plugged in an funtioning in
    Ubuntu just fine. I shared the folder in the VMWare version of WinXP
    where I want to store these. But when I try to copy from Ubuntu to VMWin
    share it says ...

    "Error 'Access Denied' while copying ...(Name of file) would you like to
    continue? I get skip, cancel and retry as options.

    Is this just an access problem and if so do I need to do this in terminal
    and if so how?

    bigk Guest

  4. #4

    "bigk" <com> wrote in message [/ref][/ref]
    run. [/ref][/ref]
    site. [/ref][/ref]
    it is [/ref][/ref]
    in [/ref][/ref]
    make [/ref][/ref]
    menus,

    > > Hmmm....
    > >
    > > First of all..
    > > Using VMware server for running just one version of Windows
    > > (or any other OS) seems a bit overkill to me. I think you
    > > are better off using the (more lightweight) VMware Player.
    > > You can easily create a virtual machine using the several
    > > websites that are around..
    > >
    > > Then - I'm not sure XP Media Center is a really good choice.
    > > I am not very familiar with this version of Windows, but I
    > > think it goes like this: As the name suggests it makes heavy
    > > use of direct steering of hardware (to speed up media
    > > possibilities). Now VMware is using virtual devices, so
    > > there could be trouble in this combination.
    > >
    > > Anyway - I'm using VMware server myself and I can tell you
    > > Windows XP (standard version) is allmost running at native
    > > speed (and without any crash so far). So there must be
    > > something wrong with your setup...
    > >
    > > You did not tell us one very important thing.. How many
    > > memory does your computer has? And how many memory did you
    > > reserved for the virtual machine? Slow reactions (and
    > > frequent crashes) can be a sign of low memory...[/ref]
    >

    > Thanks. I appreacite your advice. Since I already have server going
    > (didn't know I could do this with player as I am just a first time user) I
    > think I'll stick with what I have. I got windows going fine now. I just
    > needed a reboot I guess since after doing that it seems to boot up fairly
    > quickly and vm tools enables itself much faster now.
    >
    > I then got the program running that I wish to use.
    >
    > but now I am wanting to restore some files that I use in the program.
    > They are saved on a USB hard drive that is plugged in an funtioning in
    > Ubuntu just fine. I shared the folder in the VMWare version of WinXP
    > where I want to store these. But when I try to copy from Ubuntu to VMWin
    > share it says ...
    >
    > "Error 'Access Denied' while copying ...(Name of file) would you like to
    > continue? I get skip, cancel and retry as options.
    >
    > Is this just an access problem and if so do I need to do this in terminal
    > and if so how?[/ref]

    What OS, program and user account did you use to create these files?
    And, what file system is on the usb/hd?

    later.....

    ***** Guest

  5. #5

    bigk wrote:

    Sounds like there's a permissions problem in the Windows VM. Make sure
    the user you are connecting to the Windows VM from Ubuntu actually
    exists on the Windows VM and has permissions to the folder that you're
    sharing. That is a bit off-topic for here, but most of us have "done
    our time" in that *other* operating system :P

    FWIW, I usually go the other way around: share a folder on the HOST
    operating system (anonymous/guest read-only share) with Samba etc, then
    the GUEST operating system can read the files natively. Because the
    HOST has read+write, it's no problem to use your normal Linux file
    management tools to pull files from a USB drive etc, copy them to the
    shared folder and voila - the guest can read them too.

    You can make the shared folder on the HOST OS read+write, but keep in
    mind that unless you lock it down on "real" network interfaces, you'll
    be sharing up content to everyone who can access your machine. If it's
    directly connected to the internet, you can see the dilemma :)

    Cheers,

    James

    Centurion Guest

  6. #6

    bigk wrote:

    [snip]

    Nice to hear....

    Hmm... As far as i know you have to unmount the device in
    Ubuntu before mounting and using it in a virtual Windows.
    Don't forget the virtual window is only using the USB port
    and has no knowledge of the underlying Ubuntu. Using the
    same drive to be accessed by two OS-es at the same time does
    not look very healthy to me. If the two OS'es are accessing
    the same file at the same time, you could easily corrupt
    that file because the datastream is feed by two separate
    instances - leading conflicting commands or/and data...

    I could be wrong here, but don't forget the virtual OS also
    uses a virtual harddisk, so the physical "world" is
    separated from the virtual "world", just for this reason...

    You can better ask this question on the (very helpfull)
    VMware forum
    (http://www.vmware.com/community/index.jspa?categoryID=1).

    See above... ;-)
    John Guest

  7. #7

    On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 11:20:39 -0400, BigK wrote:

    .... you don't say what you are trying to run. If you can, I'd install
    Windows 2000 Professional, which runs reasonably well, and doesn't have
    that rubbish with keys and so on in it.
    Paul Guest