Professional Web Applications Themes

Integrate Flash graphic with MySQL??? - MySQL

I am a DBA and I provide data to the developers at my company in XML format. The developers create Flash graphics and use the XML to populate data variables. I want to start requiring the developers to make calls directly to my MySQL databases so anytime i have to make a change to the underlying data, I don't get stuck generating an updated XML file for the developers. My developers tell me a Flash graphic cannot make a call directly to a mySQL database. They say Flash has to reference a page in which variables are defined, such as ...

  1. #1

    Default Integrate Flash graphic with MySQL???

    I am a DBA and I provide data to the developers at my company in XML
    format. The developers create Flash graphics and use the XML to
    populate data variables. I want to start requiring the developers to
    make calls directly to my MySQL databases so anytime i have to make a
    change to the underlying data, I don't get stuck generating an updated
    XML file for the developers.

    My developers tell me a Flash graphic cannot make a call directly to a
    mySQL database. They say Flash has to reference a page in which
    variables are defined, such as an XML, PHP, ASP page etc. This page,
    they say, is generated from database info, but Flash does not directly
    make the call to the database ... that another programming technology
    (XML, PHP, etc.) does and has to p the information, making it
    available to Flash.

    Can anyone weigh in on this and if so, point me to anything that would
    show how a Flash graphic can make a call directly to mySQL and get
    back the XML it needs ... heck, I can create the view so the database
    has the XML waiting for the call ... I just need to know if this is
    doable so I can better work with our developers.

    Thanks!

    ralph_noble@hotmail.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Integrate Flash graphic with MySQL???

    My recommendation would be to store the data in your MySQL , extract only
    the info you need , and then create the XML on the http request for the
    Flash Movie.Depending on the traffic, this could alos help performance and
    make the most of connection pooling

    --

    Jack Vamvas
    ___________________________________

    <com> wrote in message

    Jack Guest

  3. #3

    "com" <com> writes:

    How does flash talk to the PHP in said page?
    Hadron Guest

  4. #4

    Hadron <com> wrote in news:com:

    Through ActionScript, same way Flash would talk to an XML,HTML,ASP,etc.
    doent
    Good Guest