Professional Web Applications Themes

Integrated DNS Zones - Windows Server

Hello, I am setting up a second dc/2003 server at my company. The admin before me setup Integrated DNS. We currently have only one DC/DNS Server. He has setup two "Forward Lookup Zones" both are AD integrated primary's. The first one is labeled msdcs.mydomain.mycompany.com the other is simply mydomain.mycompany.com. I can't understand why we would need two primary's under this type of scheme with just one dns server. This is my first DNS setup so I am not sure if I should replace one of these with the new dc server I am now setting up which will have dns ...

  1. #1

    Default Integrated DNS Zones

    Hello,

    I am setting up a second dc/2003 server at my company.
    The admin before me setup Integrated DNS. We currently
    have only one DC/DNS Server. He has setup two "Forward
    Lookup Zones" both are AD integrated primary's. The first
    one is labeled msdcs.mydomain.mycompany.com the other is
    simply mydomain.mycompany.com. I can't understand why we
    would need two primary's under this type of scheme with
    just one dns server. This is my first DNS setup so I am
    not sure if I should replace one of these with the new dc
    server I am now setting up which will have dns installed
    or leave it as is and just run dcpromo and configure the
    second dns server from there.

    Any DNS experts out there?

    Regards,
    Will
    will Guest

  2. #2

    The two forward zones were set up by the AD installation
    wizard and both are required.

    For your new DC/DNS server, point the DNS settings in
    TCPIP at the existing server, install active directory
    creating another DC in the domain, then install DNS and
    create the two AD integrated forward zones with the same
    names as the existing ones on the first server. The zones
    will then te. Updates to the zones on either
    server will be ted to the other server. Create
    backward lookup zone(s) in a similar manner.

    Rgds
    Paul

    Paul Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: Integrated DNS Zones

    There's no need to create new zones. Pointing to an existing DNS server,
    and having the DNS installed is enough; when the system becomes a DC the
    Integrated zone information will be ted on the first full tion
    cycle.

    --

    Paul Williams
    [url]http://www.msresource.net[/url] - Under construction, but coming soon...

    Join us in our new forums!
    [url]http://forums.msresource.net[/url]

    "Paul" <anonymousdiscussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > The two forward zones were set up by the AD installation
    > wizard and both are required.
    >
    > For your new DC/DNS server, point the DNS settings in
    > TCPIP at the existing server, install active directory
    > creating another DC in the domain, then install DNS and
    > create the two AD integrated forward zones with the same
    > names as the existing ones on the first server. The zones
    > will then te. Updates to the zones on either
    > server will be ted to the other server. Create
    > backward lookup zone(s) in a similar manner.
    >
    > Rgds
    > Paul

    ptwilliams Guest