Professional Web Applications Themes

Integrated security in ASP.net - ASP.NET Security

Hi - I'm developing an Intranet app with ASP.NET/VB.NET and want to use integrated security to access the pages. I don't need the users to log in to the pages once they've logged into their PCs, and there is no external public access to the pages. If I turn off anonymous access, and turn on integrated security in IIS for the site, I just get a 'The page cannot be displayed' error in IE. The web.config has '<authentication mode="Windows" />' set in it, and the account I'm using to test the pages is an administrator. The whole VS.NET/IIS is running ...

  1. #1

    Default Integrated security in ASP.net

    Hi - I'm developing an Intranet app with ASP.NET/VB.NET and want to use integrated security to access the pages. I don't need the users to log in to the pages once they've logged into their PCs, and there is no external public access to the pages.

    If I turn off anonymous access, and turn on integrated security in IIS for the site, I just get a 'The page cannot be displayed' error in IE. The web.config has '<authentication mode="Windows" />' set in it, and the account I'm using to test the pages is an administrator. The whole VS.NET/IIS is running on my XP development PC.

    (If I try basic authentication it does work after it pops up the logon box.)

    What else do I have to configure for integrated security? Any suggestions gratefully received.

    Thanks

    Nick Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Integrated security in ASP.net

    Please scroll down a little further on the error page. There should be a
    HTTP status code, eg 404 Not Found, or 500 Internal Server Error.

    Please tell us what the HTTP status code is.

    Cheers
    Ken

    "Nick" <NickNTWorks.no.spam.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
    Hi - I'm developing an Intranet app with ASP.NET/VB.NET and want to use
    integrated security to access the pages. I don't need the users to log in to
    the pages once they've logged into their PCs, and there is no external
    public access to the pages.

    If I turn off anonymous access, and turn on integrated security in IIS for
    the site, I just get a 'The page cannot be displayed' error in IE. The
    web.config has '<authentication mode="Windows" />' set in it, and the
    account I'm using to test the pages is an administrator. The whole
    VS.NET/IIS is running on my XP development PC.

    (If I try basic authentication it does work after it pops up the logon box.)

    What else do I have to configure for integrated security? Any suggestions
    gratefully received.

    Thanks

    Ken Schaefer Guest

  3. #3

    I don't get a status code, but at the bottom of the page I get a 'Cannot
    find server or DNS Error'. Turning on anonymous access (or basic
    authenitcation) again removes the error.

    Nick

    "Ken Schaefer" <kenREMOVETHISadOpenStatic.com> wrote in message
    > Please scroll down a little further on the error page. There should be a
    > HTTP status code, eg 404 Not Found, or 500 Internal Server Error.
    >
    > Please tell us what the HTTP status code is.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Ken
    >
    > "Nick" <NickNTWorks.no.spam.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi - I'm developing an Intranet app with ASP.NET/VB.NET and want to use
    > integrated security to access the pages. I don't need the users to log in
    > the pages once they've logged into their PCs, and there is no external
    > public access to the pages.
    >
    > If I turn off anonymous access, and turn on integrated security in IIS for
    > the site, I just get a 'The page cannot be displayed' error in IE. The
    > web.config has '<authentication mode="Windows" />' set in it, and the
    > account I'm using to test the pages is an administrator. The whole
    > VS.NET/IIS is running on my XP development PC.
    >
    > (If I try basic authentication it does work after it pops up the logon
    box.)

    > What else do I have to configure for integrated security? Any suggestions
    > gratefully received.
    >
    > Thanks

    Nick Guest

  4. #4

    If you are getting that error, then either IE can not reach the server at
    all, or the server is sending back no response.

    If you use WFetch from here (or similar tool), does IIS send anything back?
    [url]http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=56fc92ee-a71a-4c73-b628-ade629c89499&DisplayLang=en[/url]

    : I don't get a status code, but at the bottom of the page I get a 'Cannot
    : find server or DNS Error'. Turning on anonymous access (or basic
    : authenitcation) again removes the error.
    :
    : Nick
    :
    : "Ken Schaefer" <kenREMOVETHISadOpenStatic.com> wrote in message
    : news:eM3UTjOYEHA.2500TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    : > Please scroll down a little further on the error page. There should be a
    : > HTTP status code, eg 404 Not Found, or 500 Internal Server Error.
    : >

  5. #5

    I've confirmed its a problem with integrated security on this particular PC.
    The same site copied to my laptop works fine without anonymous access. Also,
    other sites on the this PC with anonymous access switched on work fine -
    while any site with integrated securtiy desn't work.

    Is this a re-install of IIS and the .net Framework?

    > If you are getting that error, then either IE can not reach the server at
    > all, or the server is sending back no response.
    >
    > If you use WFetch from here (or similar tool), does IIS send anything
    back?

    [url]http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=56fc92ee-a71a-4c73-b628-ade629c89499&DisplayLang=en[/url]

    > Cheers
    > Ken
    >
    > "Nick" <NickNTWorks.no.spam.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
    > : I don't get a status code, but at the bottom of the page I get a 'Cannot
    > : find server or DNS Error'. Turning on anonymous access (or basic
    > : authenitcation) again removes the error.
    > :
    > : Nick
    > :
    > : "Ken Schaefer" <kenREMOVETHISadOpenStatic.com> wrote in message
    > : news:eM3UTjOYEHA.2500TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > : > Please scroll down a little further on the error page. There should be
    > : > HTTP status code, eg 404 Not Found, or 500 Internal Server Error.
    > : >
    > : > Please tell us what the HTTP status code is.
    > : >
    > : > Cheers
    > : > Ken
    > : >
    > : > "Nick" <NickNTWorks.no.spam.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
    > : > news:OHjcWEOYEHA.3012tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > : > Hi - I'm developing an Intranet app with ASP.NET/VB.NET and want to
    use
    > : > integrated security to access the pages. I don't need the users to log
    > in
    > : > the pages once they've logged into their PCs, and there is no external
    > : > public access to the pages.
    > : >
    > : > If I turn off anonymous access, and turn on integrated security in IIS
    > for
    > : > the site, I just get a 'The page cannot be displayed' error in IE. The
    > : > web.config has '<authentication mode="Windows" />' set in it, and the
    > : > account I'm using to test the pages is an administrator. The whole
    > : > VS.NET/IIS is running on my XP development PC.
    > : >
    > : > (If I try basic authentication it does work after it pops up the logon
    > : box.)
    > : >
    > : > What else do I have to configure for integrated security? Any
    > suggestions
    > : > gratefully received.
    > : >
    > : > Thanks
    > : >
    > : >
    > :
    > :

    Nick Guest

  6. #6

    What exactly do you mean "it's a problem with integrated security"? Until
    you work out /where/ the communication between server and client is
    breaking, reinstalling anything is just a gamble. For example, if it's the
    /browser/ that is having problems with integrated security, then
    reinstalling IIS isn't going to fix anything.

[...]
    : > :
    : > : Nick
    : > :
    : > : "Ken Schaefer" <kenREMOVETHISadOpenStatic.com> wrote in message
    : > : news:eM3UTjOYEHA.2500TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    : > : > Please scroll down a little further on the error page. There should
    be
    : a
    : > : > HTTP status code, eg 404 Not Found, or 500 Internal Server Error.
    : > : >

  7. #7

    I have found that this is a IE security option problem most of the time where
    the Security option for User Authentification is set to "Automatic logon with
    current username and password". If you set it to "Automatic logon only in
    Intranet zone" may help. Also you can check that Submit nonencrypted form
    data is enabled.
    john

    john cowart Guest