Professional Web Applications Themes

Intel M.B. D845PEBT2 Bios Update - SCO

Any likelihood that the most recent bios update F From P08 (BT84520A.86A.0020.P08.0303110918), 3/11/2003 T To P10 (BT84520A.86A.0024.P10.0308081142), 08/08/2003 Will overcome the problems with Open Server 5.0.6 not recognizing the right Video configuration. This was handled in the past by a blind patch created by Bella. Maybe they have fixed the problem. Any thoughts? Thanks, Don Williams...

  1. #1

    Default Intel M.B. D845PEBT2 Bios Update

    Any likelihood that the most recent bios update

    F From P08 (BT84520A.86A.0020.P08.0303110918), 3/11/2003

    T To P10 (BT84520A.86A.0024.P10.0308081142), 08/08/2003

    Will overcome the problems with Open Server 5.0.6 not recognizing the
    right Video configuration.

    This was handled in the past by a blind patch created by Bella. Maybe
    they have fixed the problem.

    Any thoughts?

    Thanks,

    Don Williams

    Don Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Intel M.B. D845PEBT2 Bios Update

    Sorry for the bad formatting of the original message. I had some protective
    features turned on and it messed up the format. Hope you can read it.

    DAW
    ============
    "Don Williams" <rr.com> wrote in message
    Maybe

    Don Guest

  3. #3

    Don Williams typed (on Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 11:48:19PM +0000):
    | Any likelihood that the most recent bios update
    |
    | F From P08 (BT84520A.86A.0020.P08.0303110918), 3/11/2003
    | T To P10 (BT84520A.86A.0024.P10.0308081142), 08/08/2003
    |
    | Will overcome the problems with Open Server 5.0.6 not recognizing the
    | right Video configuration.
    |
    | This was handled in the past by a blind patch created by Bella. Maybe
    | they have fixed the problem.

    What did OSR 5.0.6 mis-recognize about "the right video configuration"?

    And what is a "blind patch", who is "Bella", and who is "they"?

    --
    JP
    Jean-Pierre Guest

  4. #4

    Don Williams wrote:

    Maybe. You obviously followed their web site to this latest BIOS
    version. Intel BIOS updates include READMEs and stuff like that. If
    you'd given the URL, I would have gone to see if it sounded like they
    touched the right areas.

    I forget -- does the "ivga" BTLD, oss653a, not fix this problem?

    Bela Guest

  5. #5

    "Bela Lubkin" <com> wrote in message
    news:com... [/ref]
    right Video configuration. [/ref]
    they have fixed the problem. [/ref]

    Don't know about the patch, I didn't try it because I wanted to leave well
    enough alone. Don't fix it if it ain't broke. What I really want is for
    SCO to release 5.0.7 free, like in the old days, but it's clear from the
    newsletters that that isn't likely to happen in our lifetimes.

    Anyhow, I have the "read me" text which covers P8 (my problem bios) and P10,
    the new one but it's almost impossible to tell from that what it did. For
    example, what do they mean by "Updated System Configuration Data"?

    I will next post the URL if that will help.

    DAW

    Don Guest

  6. #6

    "Jean-Pierre Radley" <com> wrote in message
    the
    Maybe
    A "blind patch" is something you have to type in without seeing anything on
    the screen, then compile to make a special version of Unix so you CAN see
    the screen.

    "Bella"?, Well he's the guy who keeps Open Server up to date.

    Don Guest

  7. #7

    "Jean-Pierre Radley" <com> wrote in message
    the
    Maybe
    Forgot one item: "they" be the folks who make the BIOS for the Intel
    D845PEBT2 P4 2.4 Ghz motherboard.

    DAW

    Don Guest

  8. #8

    Here is the URL of the Bios current Bios update.

    http://developer.intel.com/design/motherbd/bt2/bt2_bios.htm

    The .pdf file lists all changes for all versions from P01 through P10.

    I can't tell what the fixes really are from the descriptions, but maybe it
    will make sense to someone.

    DAW

    "Bela Lubkin" <com> wrote in message
    news:com... [/ref]
    the [/ref]
    Maybe

    > Maybe. You obviously followed their web site to this latest BIOS
    > version. Intel BIOS updates include READMEs and stuff like that. If
    > you'd given the URL, I would have gone to see if it sounded like they
    > touched the right areas.
    >
    > I forget -- does the "ivga" BTLD, oss653a, not fix this problem?
    > [/ref]

    Don Guest

  9. #9

    Don Williams wrote:

    Well, if anything in those two updates' worth of changes was going to
    fix that problem, it would be:

    " Update from AMI Core 08.00.07 to 08.00.08.

    It's worth giving it a try. Flash the BIOS, then boot the OSR506
    install CD and see whether it comes up with a visible display. Whether
    or not you can see what's happening, it's safe to boot the CD past the
    boot prompt, up to the point where it's prompting for where to find the
    install media. You won't hurt the OS already installed on the machine.

    And if the BIOS update doesn't fix it, do try oss653a in place of the
    old hand-patch I sent you.

    Bela Guest

  10. #10

    "Bela Lubkin" <com> wrote in message
    news:com... [/ref]
    the [/ref]
    Maybe

    > Maybe. You obviously followed their web site to this latest BIOS
    > version. Intel BIOS updates include READMEs and stuff like that. If
    > you'd given the URL, I would have gone to see if it sounded like they
    > touched the right areas.
    >
    > I forget -- does the "ivga" BTLD, oss653a, not fix this problem?
    > [/ref]

    It turns out that the new BIOS did not fix the problem when booting from the
    5.0.6 CD. Got the same old blank screen with just a flashing cursor.

    I have oss653a BTLD but for me it seems best to just use the system as
    patched for now.

    I'm trying to get an upgrade to 5.0.7 and thought that had the fix in it,
    however the ltr with the patch says it can be used with 5.0.7. That seems
    to imply that 5.0.7 does not handle the problem internally.

    I have data on what the system thinks the graphics device is and will report
    that in the other topic which concerns the graphics screen setup.

    DAW

    Don Guest

  11. #11

    "Bela Lubkin" <com> wrote in message
    news:com... [/ref]
    the [/ref]
    Maybe

    > Maybe. You obviously followed their web site to this latest BIOS
    > version. Intel BIOS updates include READMEs and stuff like that. If
    > you'd given the URL, I would have gone to see if it sounded like they
    > touched the right areas.
    >
    > I forget -- does the "ivga" BTLD, oss653a, not fix this problem?
    > [/ref]

    I did a test. I made the floppy for oss653a and changed the primary boot
    device to the first CD drive and booted from the 5.0.6 installation CD with
    the floppy in what was now drive B: (The Bios made the CD drive drive A:
    which is what booted.)

    Then boot: defbootstr link=ivga

    It ran through a full boot from the CD with some extra lines thrown in it
    seemed. No apparent video problem.

    I didn't want to do a new install so I removed the floppy somewhere near the
    end of this process. Then it asked me to insert the disk with oss653a so it
    could copy it to the hard drive for incorporation into the operating system.
    Not being sure how far I could let this go without damaging my present
    installation I pulled the CD and reset the system. It does seem that
    oss653a works and if I had simply used that bootstring when booting from the
    hard drive, as usual, it would have patched my system.

    How far can I go with this, and will it for sure create a unix.old for me if
    I run to completion with the installed kernel on the hard drive?

    DAW

    Don Guest

  12. #12

    Don Williams wrote:

    Wait, STOP!

    If you begin an installation, the only choices are (1) abort without
    changing anything, (2) do an upgrade installation, (3) do a new
    installation.

    (1) won't write anything to the hard disk.

    (2) will only work if what's on the hard disk is an older release. It
    will replace every file that is part of the operating system; it is not
    what you would call "minor surgery".

    (3) completely wipes out everything.

    There is no option to "just" create a new kernel and leave everything
    else intact.

    There is a procedure to install a BTLD onto an already-running system.
    It does not involve booting from your install media. You mount the BTLD
    media and run `btldinstall` on it:

    mount -r /dev/fd0 /mnt
    btldinstall /mnt

    I've checked my outgoing mail log and I know how I had you patch this
    problem, back in January. If you want to go ahead and install oss653a
    (and I'm not recommending one way or the other -- it isn't going to give
    you any benefit except being "official") -- you should undo the old
    patch by doing:

    cd /etc/conf/pack.d/cn
    mv Init.o Init.o.old-vga-patch
    mv Init.o.orig Init.o

    Then do the `btldinstall`, relink, reboot.

    Bela Guest

  13. #13

    "Bela Lubkin" <com> wrote in message
    news:com... [/ref]
    boot [/ref]
    with [/ref]
    it [/ref]
    the [/ref]
    so it [/ref]
    system. [/ref]
    the [/ref]
    me if

    > Wait, STOP!
    >
    > If you begin an installation, the only choices are (1) abort without
    > changing anything, (2) do an upgrade installation, (3) do a new
    > installation.
    >
    > (1) won't write anything to the hard disk.
    >
    > (2) will only work if what's on the hard disk is an older release. It
    > will replace every file that is part of the operating system; it is not
    > what you would call "minor surgery".
    >
    > (3) completely wipes out everything.
    >
    > There is no option to "just" create a new kernel and leave everything
    > else intact.
    >
    > There is a procedure to install a BTLD onto an already-running system.
    > It does not involve booting from your install media. You mount the BTLD
    > media and run `btldinstall` on it:
    >[/ref]
    ==============
    ============== [/ref]

    O.K. I never planned to take the installation CD past the test phase, I was
    simply contemplating using that bootstring when booting with the hard drive.

    Sounds like if I ever want to do the "official" patch I should follow your
    procedure when the system is already up. At least that way I can see what's
    going on.

    I've marked that plan with ====== above.

    Thanks, I'll try not to expand this thread, but it seems to have helped some
    others also.

    DAW

    Don Guest