Professional Web Applications Themes

intel modem install - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I have an Intel modem that came with Linux drivers and I have Mandrake 9.1 installed and I tried following the install instructions and no luck Anyone have any ideas?...

  1. #1

    Default intel modem install

    I have an Intel modem that came with Linux drivers and I have
    Mandrake 9.1 installed and I tried following the install instructions
    and no luck Anyone have any ideas?
    jr Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: intel modem install

    On 26 Nov 2003 16:50:46 -0800, jr <com> wrote:

    Yes. Describe exactly what you did, and exactly with what, and exactly how
    Linux responded.

    AC

    Alan Guest

  3. #3

    Alan Connor <yyy> wrote in message news:<qrcxb.18708$news.pas.earthlink.net>...

    > Yes. Describe exactly what you did, and exactly with what, and exactly how
    > Linux responded.
    >
    > AC[/ref]

    I have these files

    Intel-536ep-443.tgz
    Intel-536ep-443-M82.tgz
    Intel-536ep-443-R72.tgz
    Intel-536ep-443-S80.tgz

    The readme.txt instructions
    Prerequisites:
    1. root access
    2. bash shell to run install scripts
    3. a 536EP modem
    4. KERNEL SOURCE HEADERS FOR THE KERNEL YOU ARE RUNNING
    (found on your distribution's CD)
    6 steps to install
    1. login as ROOT
    2. extract the archive into a directory with "tar -zxvf
    <archivename>.tgz"
    3. cd into the directory it created.
    4. Type: make clean
    5. Type: make 536ep
    6. Type: make install-536ep
    7. When you restart the computer,Tye: bash 536ep-inst
    I don't know what Kernel source headers are but I suceeded through
    install step 4
    "make clean" with no errors also I extracted ALL the files not knowing
    if this was right or not but "make 536ep" gave a list of errors the
    gist of which seemed to be syntax around a path (not exactly like
    this} "/usr/kern/?? not right edit something to reflect correct path"
    it gave the correct parameters but I don't know what to do with them.

    Thanks jr
    jr Guest

  4. #4

    Bartman <com> wrote in message news:<bq4rco$6jp$flow.com.au>...

    > Not much to go on... you need to find out if the modem is a winmodem, and if
    > so, what chipset the modem has. Many winmodems can be made to work with
    > Linux these days, but you need to know the chipset it's using first. Are
    > you getting any errors when installing the driver? Is the modem internal or
    > external? Serial, USB or PCI? Post back with as much info as you can find,
    > and we may be able to help.
    >
    > Bartman[/ref]

    Please see post 3 in this thread The error messages I get are quite
    long. I have a text file with the error copied. I will email it if you
    are agreeable.
    Thank jr
    jr Guest

  6. #6

    Hi,
    I will try and help as much as possible but I am going through a similar
    pain with some 537 drivers.

    In Mandrake teh kernel source is on Disk 3 (International). You can install
    it from within Mandrake Control centre/Install Software. Search for kernel
    source. Then select the kernel-source-2.4.xx package and install it.

    You may need to run

    make cloneconfig && make dep

    as root in the /usr/src/linux directory

    This should solve your path issues.

    --
    Entwisi

    Entwisi Guest

  7. #7

    "Entwisi" <pipex.com> wrote in message news:<bq7j3g$1ujqo1$news.uni-berlin.de>...
    > Hi,
    > I will try and help as much as possible but I am going through a similar
    > pain with some 537 drivers.
    >
    > In Mandrake teh kernel source is on Disk 3 (International). You can install
    > it from within Mandrake Control centre/Install Software. Search for kernel
    > source. Then select the kernel-source-2.4.xx package and install it.
    >
    > You may need to run
    >
    > make cloneconfig && make dep
    >
    > as root in the /usr/src/linux directory
    >
    > This should solve your path issues.[/ref]

    Thanks I loaded the kernel source and that seemed to make the script
    work and it looked like it sucessfully installed but my connections
    still says "modem not responding"
    jr
    jr Guest

  8. #8

    Entwisi wrote:

    Yeah, when you do 'make 536ep', the installer will look for your kernel
    source files. Ordinarily these will be in /usr/src/linux (the 'linux' part
    will be a pointer to the real source directory, which will vary depending
    on the kernel version you are running). The kernel sources must be the same
    as your installed kernel, so the ones from your CD will be fine provided
    you haven't upgraded your kernel since your initial install.

    If the make still gives you errors after you've done as Entwisi advised,
    post back here with the exact errors you get.

    Bartman
    Bartman Guest

  9. #9

    "jr" <com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > > I will try and help as much as possible but I am going through a[/ref][/ref]
    similar [/ref]
    install [/ref]
    kernel

    > Thanks I loaded the kernel source and that seemed to make the script
    > work and it looked like it sucessfully installed but my connections
    > still says "modem not responding"
    > jr[/ref]

    Thats where I am at this moment. It seems to have recognised the modem is
    there but it comes back not responding.

    Onward and upward....

    Ian

    Entwisi Guest