Professional Web Applications Themes

interchangeable lenses and my Olympus C-2100UZ - Photography

This is still about my Olympus c-2100uz. If anyone can figure out why I cannot reply to a post I would dearly appreciate it. Now, I have several different lenses, filters etc for this camera. Are you saying that the lenses I have are not considered 'interchangeable'? If they aren't , would someone please tell me what an interchangeable lens is? Thank you for your patience....

  1. #1

    Default interchangeable lenses and my Olympus C-2100UZ

    This is still about my Olympus c-2100uz. If anyone can figure out why I
    cannot reply to a post I would dearly appreciate it.

    Now, I have several different lenses, filters etc for this camera. Are you
    saying that the lenses I have are not considered 'interchangeable'? If
    they aren't , would someone please tell me what an interchangeable lens
    is? Thank you for your patience.

    Puzzled Guest

  2. #2

    On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 22:14:28 -0500, "Puzzled" <NotAt> wrote:
    >This is still about my Olympus c-2100uz. If anyone can figure out why I
    >cannot reply to a post I would dearly appreciate it.
    >
    >Now, I have several different lenses, filters etc for this camera. Are you
    >saying that the lenses I have are not considered 'interchangeable'? If
    >they aren't , would someone please tell me what an interchangeable lens
    >is? Thank you for your patience.

    Ok here goes a I hope.

    An interchangeable lens means the lens dismounts completely from the
    Camera Body to be replaced by another with the same mounting. On the
    C2100Z you are using an ACCESSORY lens to compliment the FIXED lens on
    the camera body to give you some of the flexibility of the
    interchangeable lens cameras. It is a simple distinction often
    confused by ambiguous advertising.

    The basic lens on the C-2100 is NOT removable you can only ADD
    supplementary lenses to it. A dSLR on the other hand has a lens mount
    on the BODY of the Camera that permits the lens to be removed
    completely and replaced by another.

    Hope that helps.

    Dave F.
    Dave Fouchey Guest

  3. #3

    Dave Fouchey <dfoucheysc.rr.com> writes:
    > An interchangeable lens means the lens dismounts completely from the
    > Camera Body to be replaced by another with the same mounting. On the
    > C2100Z you are using an ACCESSORY lens to compliment the FIXED lens on
    > the camera body to give you some of the flexibility of the
    > interchangeable lens cameras. It is a simple distinction often
    > confused by ambiguous advertising.
    >
    > The basic lens on the C-2100 is NOT removable you can only ADD
    > supplementary lenses to it. A dSLR on the other hand has a lens mount
    > on the BODY of the Camera that permits the lens to be removed
    > completely and replaced by another.
    So on the very early kodak digital cameras where there was a relay
    lens inside the camera to make better use of the early tiny
    sensors. Despite being based on, say, a nikon F90 camera, they weren't
    really interchangeable lens cameras?

    Bruce Murphy Guest

  4. #4

    On 28 Nov 2004 11:31:45 +0800, Bruce Murphy <pack-newsrattus.net>
    wrote:
    >Dave Fouchey <dfoucheysc.rr.com> writes:
    >
    >> An interchangeable lens means the lens dismounts completely from the
    >> Camera Body to be replaced by another with the same mounting. On the
    >> C2100Z you are using an ACCESSORY lens to compliment the FIXED lens on
    >> the camera body to give you some of the flexibility of the
    >> interchangeable lens cameras. It is a simple distinction often
    >> confused by ambiguous advertising.
    >>
    >> The basic lens on the C-2100 is NOT removable you can only ADD
    >> supplementary lenses to it. A dSLR on the other hand has a lens mount
    >> on the BODY of the Camera that permits the lens to be removed
    >> completely and replaced by another.
    >
    >So on the very early kodak digital cameras where there was a relay
    >lens inside the camera to make better use of the early tiny
    >sensors. Despite being based on, say, a nikon F90 camera, they weren't
    >really interchangeable lens cameras?

    Interesting question, if it was simply a corrector in the light path
    INSIDE the Camera body but permitting the use of existing Nikon Mount
    Lenses I would tend to class it as interchangeable. I was trying to
    give a fairly simple answer in a gross manner not too tight on the
    fine points. It would Still be an SLR in any event since it used a
    movable flip up mirror and used the shooting lens as the view finder.

    Don't ya love how terms get mushy?

    Dave F.
    Dave Fouchey Guest

  5. #5

    Dave Fouchey <dfoucheysc.rr.com> writes:
    > On 28 Nov 2004 11:31:45 +0800, Bruce Murphy <pack-newsrattus.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >So on the very early kodak digital cameras where there was a relay
    > >lens inside the camera to make better use of the early tiny
    > >sensors. Despite being based on, say, a nikon F90 camera, they weren't
    > >really interchangeable lens cameras?
    > >
    > Interesting question, if it was simply a corrector in the light path
    > INSIDE the Camera body but permitting the use of existing Nikon Mount
    > Lenses I would tend to class it as interchangeable.
    But it's an imaging lens with possibly multiple elements!
    > I was trying to
    > give a fairly simple answer in a gross manner not too tight on the
    > fine points. It would Still be an SLR in any event since it used a
    > movable flip up mirror and used the shooting lens as the view finder.
    Ah, so the pellicle mirror SLRs aren't really SLRs. Damn.
    > Don't ya love how terms get mushy?
    Personally, I think the people who came up with these ridiculous group
    definitions should be taken out and beaten repeatedly about the head
    with a difficult-to-classify camera of your choice. Particularly the
    ones with the expensive point and shoot "ZLR" cameras and their raging
    insecurity issues.

    Bruce Murphy Guest

  6. #6

    On 28 Nov 2004 12:51:41 +0800, Bruce Murphy <pack-newsrattus.net>
    wrote:
    >Dave Fouchey <dfoucheysc.rr.com> writes:
    >
    >> On 28 Nov 2004 11:31:45 +0800, Bruce Murphy <pack-newsrattus.net>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >So on the very early kodak digital cameras where there was a relay
    >> >lens inside the camera to make better use of the early tiny
    >> >sensors. Despite being based on, say, a nikon F90 camera, they weren't
    >> >really interchangeable lens cameras?
    >> >

    >> Interesting question, if it was simply a corrector in the light path
    >> INSIDE the Camera body but permitting the use of existing Nikon Mount
    >> Lenses I would tend to class it as interchangeable.
    >
    >But it's an imaging lens with possibly multiple elements!
    >
    >> I was trying to
    >> give a fairly simple answer in a gross manner not too tight on the
    >> fine points. It would Still be an SLR in any event since it used a
    >> movable flip up mirror and used the shooting lens as the view finder.
    >
    >Ah, so the pellicle mirror SLRs aren't really SLRs. Damn.
    >
    >> Don't ya love how terms get mushy?
    >
    >Personally, I think the people who came up with these ridiculous group
    >definitions should be taken out and beaten repeatedly about the head
    >with a difficult-to-classify camera of your choice. Particularly the
    >ones with the expensive point and shoot "ZLR" cameras and their raging
    >insecurity issues.

    And on that I will heartily agree with you!

    Dave
    Dave Fouchey Guest

  7. #7

    Puzzled wrote:
    > This is still about my Olympus c-2100uz. If anyone can figure out why
    > I cannot reply to a post I would dearly appreciate it.
    >
    > Now, I have several different lenses, filters etc for this camera.
    > Are you saying that the lenses I have are not considered
    > 'interchangeable'? If they aren't , would someone please tell me
    > what an interchangeable lens is? Thank you for your patience.
    On possible distinction is that if you change the lens on an SLR or DSLR
    you can actually get access to the sensor (or film), and hence changing
    the lens can let dust into the system and give you marks on all your
    subsequent pictures. The c-2100uz is a "sealed" system optically where
    this cannot happen - a plus point!

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor Guest

  8. #8

    "David J Taylor" <david-taylorinvalid.com> writes:
    > Puzzled wrote:
    > > This is still about my Olympus c-2100uz. If anyone can figure out why
    > > I cannot reply to a post I would dearly appreciate it.
    > >
    > > Now, I have several different lenses, filters etc for this camera.
    > > Are you saying that the lenses I have are not considered
    > > 'interchangeable'? If they aren't , would someone please tell me
    > > what an interchangeable lens is? Thank you for your patience.
    >
    > On possible distinction is that if you change the lens on an SLR or DSLR
    > you can actually get access to the sensor (or film), and hence changing
    > the lens can let dust into the system and give you marks on all your
    > subsequent pictures. The c-2100uz is a "sealed" system optically where
    > this cannot happen - a plus point!
    Actaully most sensors have a glass plate in front of them. On the
    other hand, if you're consideringthe c2100uz as a sealed system it
    shouldn't be possible for dust to get in between the primary and
    secondary lenses, but it is.

    Bruce Murphy Guest

  9. #9

    Bruce Murphy wrote:
    > "David J Taylor" <david-taylorinvalid.com> writes:
    >
    >> Puzzled wrote:
    >>> This is still about my Olympus c-2100uz. If anyone can figure out
    >>> why I cannot reply to a post I would dearly appreciate it.
    >>>
    >>> Now, I have several different lenses, filters etc for this camera.
    >>> Are you saying that the lenses I have are not considered
    >>> 'interchangeable'? If they aren't , would someone please tell me
    >>> what an interchangeable lens is? Thank you for your patience.
    >>
    >> On possible distinction is that if you change the lens on an SLR or
    >> DSLR you can actually get access to the sensor (or film), and hence
    >> changing the lens can let dust into the system and give you marks on
    >> all your subsequent pictures. The c-2100uz is a "sealed" system
    >> optically where this cannot happen - a plus point!
    >
    > Actaully most sensors have a glass plate in front of them. On the
    > other hand, if you're consideringthe c2100uz as a sealed system it
    > shouldn't be possible for dust to get in between the primary and
    > secondary lenses, but it is.
    Yes, I was considering the sensor and any filter as a single unit which is
    susceptible to dust. Note the use of quotes around sealed! It's unlikely
    to be completely sealed as in vacuum-tight.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor Guest

  10. #10

    "Puzzled" <NotAt> wrote in news:30su4eF34nr8mU1uni-berlin.de:
    > Now, I have several different lenses, filters etc for this camera. Are
    > you saying that the lenses I have are not considered
    > 'interchangeable'?
    Those are add-on elements to a non-removable lens. They are not
    lenses..they are elements.

    --
    Bill
    Woodchuck Bill Guest