Professional Web Applications Themes

Interconnecting/Editing Autotrace Results - Macromedia Freehand

Hello, I'm currently trying to trace a rather large Photoshop bitmap (black on white background). The autotrace tool appears to work well, but it will not trace the whole image. It traces part of the image alright, but then offsets the rest after a certain point, which I assume is when it runs out of memory. Anyway, as a workaround, I found that I can trace the image in three parts and was hoping to join the paths. Thus, there are two sets of vertical lines over the whole image which I want to get rid of and effectively join ...

  1. #1

    Default Interconnecting/Editing Autotrace Results

    Hello,

    I'm currently trying to trace a rather large Photoshop bitmap (black on white
    background). The autotrace tool appears to work well, but it will not trace
    the whole image. It traces part of the image alright, but then offsets the
    rest after a certain point, which I assume is when it runs out of memory.
    Anyway, as a workaround, I found that I can trace the image in three parts and
    was hoping to join the paths. Thus, there are two sets of vertical lines over
    the whole image which I want to get rid of and effectively join the paths.
    I've been able to split the paths at the nodes around the vertical lines, and
    then delete the lines. But I have not figured out how to make the two paths
    interlock. I've tried the "join" feature, but it does not interconnect the
    lines (only allows the two paths to be selected together). Just to be clear,
    my objective is to take the three autotraces and combine them as if MX
    performed a single autotrace.

    Can I just use the "line" tool (or something similar) and draw a line in
    between the nodes at the ends of the two paths? If so, how can I object snap
    to the two nodes at the end of the two paths?

    Thanks,
    Bryan

    Bryman79 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Interconnecting/Editing Autotrace Results

    I've seen the weird offset results with complex traces.

    When you trace, are you using the outline option? If so, you should be able
    to use the Union command. Union combines closed shapes. Have you tried it
    and does it work?

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  3. #3

    Bryman79 wrote:

    If I understand you right you select the two paths and run the "join"
    function, right? If you then look in the object panel you should see a
    check box labeled "closed" which should be unchecked at this point.
    Check that box and you should have a closed path.
    Wes Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks all... problem solved. Judy, I didn't try the union command as my
    problem was solved by checking the "closed" box. Awesome!!!

    OK, another 2 questions...

    1. Since I used the hi-res trace, the program put too many nodes in the wrong
    places (i.e. on a straight line). Is there an easy way to delete a node (i.e.
    have the program connect the next node on either side of the one in question
    with a straight line) without breaking the line and rejoining?

    2. Slightly off-topic from this thread, but I need to export my trace
    ultimately into a HPGL (.plt) file. In addition to this program, I have access
    to both Adobe Illustrator and CorelDRAW12. Could you suggest the easiest way
    to do this while maintaining the vector format?

    I do appreciate your time.

    Thanks,
    Bryan

    Bryman79 Guest

  5. #5

    Bryman79 wrote:

    Try the Xtras > Cleanup > Simplify command.

    Sorry, I can't help with your HPGL question.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  6. #6

    In article <BE79FCE8.2C41F%ca>,
    Judy Arndt <ca> wrote:

    > Try the Xtras > Cleanup > Simplify command.
    >[/ref]

    You can also just select any point and delete it, and FH will close up
    the path by joining the points ahead and behind (unless this behaviour
    has changed since v8). Likewise if you click on a path with the Pen
    tool, a new point will be inserted into the path. I've always preferred
    this approach to Illustrator's, which forces one to use special tools
    for each of these functions.

    --
    Odysseus
    Odysseus Guest