Professional Web Applications Themes

Intermittent failure with VPN client on MacOS X.2 - Mac Networking

I'm using Cisco VPN client 4.0.1(A) to access my company's network over a broadband connection (cable-Road Runner). I'm running on MacOS X.2, connectiing via an AirPort Extreme (acting as a hub/firewall) to a cable modem. Everything works fine and I can telnet into various hosts. After a little while, the various telnet sessions hang and the VPN client reports "remote peer is no longer responding". There does not seem to be any timing or usage correlation (it may happen after 5 minutes or 25 minutes; it happens if I'm watching log files fly by or if I'm in the middle ...

  1. #1

    Default Intermittent failure with VPN client on MacOS X.2

    I'm using Cisco VPN client 4.0.1(A) to access my company's network
    over a broadband connection (cable-Road Runner). I'm running on MacOS
    X.2, connectiing via an AirPort Extreme (acting as a hub/firewall) to
    a cable modem.

    Everything works fine and I can telnet into various hosts. After a
    little while, the various telnet sessions hang and the VPN client
    reports "remote peer is no longer responding". There does not seem to
    be any timing or usage correlation (it may happen after 5 minutes or
    25 minutes; it happens if I'm watching log files fly by or if I'm in
    the middle of typing at a vi session). I can use the VPN client to
    immediately reconnect and (typically) my telnet sessions pick up right
    where they were. This next VPN session lasts for a little while and
    then it all repeats.

    This was happening on an older VPN client (3.7, I believe) and my
    network administrator suggested updating to the newest client; other
    than a prettier interface, there was no change in behavior.

    Besides removing/replacing the various hardware components in the
    chain, does anyone have any suggestions?

    Thanks,
    Jeff
    Jeff Frontz Guest

  2. #2

    In article <ae5c3a02.0307060858.9dd235cposting.google.com> ,
    Jeff Frontz <jhfrontz> wrote:
    >I'm using Cisco VPN client 4.0.1(A) to access my company's network
    >over a broadband connection (cable-Road Runner). I'm running on MacOS
    >X.2, connectiing via an AirPort Extreme (acting as a hub/firewall) to
    >a cable modem.
    >
    >Everything works fine and I can telnet into various hosts. After a
    >little while, the various telnet sessions hang and the VPN client
    >reports "remote peer is no longer responding". There does not seem to
    >be any timing or usage correlation (it may happen after 5 minutes or
    >25 minutes; it happens if I'm watching log files fly by or if I'm in
    >the middle of typing at a vi session). I can use the VPN client to
    >immediately reconnect and (typically) my telnet sessions pick up right
    >where they were. This next VPN session lasts for a little while and
    >then it all repeats.

    I've tried upgrading to the latest AirPort firmware and even tried
    putting my machine in the "DMZ" (using the "Enable Default Host" option
    in the "Wan Privacy" settings of the AirPort Admin Utility, coupled
    with hard-coding my Mac's IP address to the default host IP address).
    Same problem. Any suggestions?

    Thanks,
    Jeff

    Jeff Frontz Guest

  3. #3

    [email]jhfshell.core.com[/email] (Jeff Frontz) wrote in message news:<vkervjm0rl6u7bcorp.supernews.com>...
    > In article <ae5c3a02.0307060858.9dd235cposting.google.com> ,
    > Jeff Frontz <jhfrontz> wrote:
    > >I'm using Cisco VPN client 4.0.1(A) to access my company's network
    > >over a broadband connection (cable-Road Runner). I'm running on MacOS
    > >X.2, connectiing via an AirPort Extreme (acting as a hub/firewall) to
    > >a cable modem.
    > >
    > >Everything works fine and I can telnet into various hosts. After a
    > >little while, the various telnet sessions hang and the VPN client
    > >reports "remote peer is no longer responding". There does not seem to
    > >be any timing or usage correlation (it may happen after 5 minutes or
    > >25 minutes; it happens if I'm watching log files fly by or if I'm in
    > >the middle of typing at a vi session). I can use the VPN client to
    > >immediately reconnect and (typically) my telnet sessions pick up right
    > >where they were. This next VPN session lasts for a little while and
    > >then it all repeats.
    >

    > I've tried upgrading to the latest AirPort firmware and even tried
    > putting my machine in the "DMZ" (using the "Enable Default Host" option
    > in the "Wan Privacy" settings of the AirPort Admin Utility, coupled
    > with hard-coding my Mac's IP address to the default host IP address).
    > Same problem. Any suggestions?

    Removing the AirPort from the connection (i.e., connecting my Mac
    directly to the cable modem) eliminates the problem (I've remained
    connected via the VPN for over 21 hours so far).

    Is there some sort of "rotation" that happens in the AirPort NAT/NAPT
    software every 30 minutes or so? Any clue as to how to
    disable/override it?
    Jeff Frontz Guest