Professional Web Applications Themes

Intermittent loss of connectivity on QFE card - Sun Solaris

Apologies if this should be in a networking forum, but I have a hunch this is OS related.... I've been banging my head against the desk trying to figure out an intermittent connectivity problem, and my skull's gotten pretty sore after two weeks of banging. I've got a Sun E450, running Solaris 7, with an hme card and a qfe card in it. The hme interface points to one private network (e.g. 10.x.x.x), and the qfe card has two interfaces pointing to a different private network (e.g. 192.168.x.x), each port connecting to a different Class C network within that larger ...

  1. #1

    Default Intermittent loss of connectivity on QFE card

    Apologies if this should be in a networking forum, but I have a hunch
    this is OS related....

    I've been banging my head against the desk trying to figure out an
    intermittent connectivity problem, and my skull's gotten pretty sore
    after two weeks of banging.

    I've got a Sun E450, running Solaris 7, with an hme card and a qfe
    card in it. The hme interface points to one private network (e.g.
    10.x.x.x), and the qfe card has two interfaces pointing to a different
    private network (e.g. 192.168.x.x), each port connecting to a
    different Class C network within that larger private network (e.g.
    192.168.61.x and 192.168.62.x). /etc/notrouter has been created.
    There are no firewalls running on this system.

    What I see is that every so often, I lose connectivity to the qfe
    interface that faces the 192.168.62.x subnet. This loss of
    connectivity occurs randomly. It could be 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 30
    minutes, or an hour and a half. The period of connectivity loss is
    also random. Could be 25 seconds, a minute, four minutes or ten. The
    loss of connectivity is not reproducable, I have to sit and wait for
    the interface to act up on its own.

    When I lose connectivity, I lose it for TCP and ICMP for sure, but
    ICMP only seems to be in the direction outbound from the interface.
    For example, when I have the problem, I can not ping FROM the
    interface TO the network, but I can ping TO the interface FROM the
    network (?!) When this happens, I lose the ability to telnet both to
    and from the interface, and any telnet sessions that were started
    before the problem arises are closed.

    Using a packet sniffer, I see some more odd behavior. Ping testing
    from the affected qfe interface reveals that packets successfully
    leave the interface and reach their destination. The target of the
    ping successfully replies, but the qfe interface doesn't appear to
    recognize the ICMP reply.

    A telnet session is also strange. From a host on this network (and an
    adjacent port on the switch from the affected interface) setting up a
    telnet session shows the first SYN packet gets sent, and a [RST, ACK]
    packet gets sent back from the qfe interface. The first host sends
    another SYN packet like normal, and now things get weird. The qfe
    interface sends back another [RST, ACK] packet, not the [SYN, ACK]
    packet that it ought to. So, the host tries another SYN packet and
    the qfe interface returns another [RST, ACK]. Rinse and repeat, and
    finally the host gives up.

    I've tried many different things to try to rule out hardware:
    Different port on the qfe card. Different patch panel ports.
    Different port on the (Cicso Catalyst 5500) switch. Different network
    cables. Verifying that the qfe ports and switch ports are speaking
    100MB/Full duplex. The problem remains, so I'm reasonably confident I
    don't have a hardware/network equipment problem.

    I've also tried things on the software side. Applying patch
    107743-14. Applying the 7_Recommended patch cluster this morning.
    Removing all traffic that's not specifically destined for that
    192.168.62.0 subnet from the interface. Quadruple checking my routing
    tables. The problem remains, and I'm really scratching my head now.

    I'm hoping to get a link to a previous discussion on this, which I
    couldn't find when I scoured Google Groups and the Internet in
    general, or maybe a kick in the general direction of what to look at
    next. I have a hunch the solution is ridiculously simple, but I've
    been trying to use a driver to pound a nail.

    Frustratedly, and humbly yours,

    Marshall Skare
    SkarTisu Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Intermittent loss of connectivity on QFE card

    SkarTisu <com> wrote:

    Despite what you've mentioned above, you don't say if you're using
    auto-negotiation or not. If so, force the connection to 100MB/fd on
    the switch and the qfe ports and see if it helps. It won't take you
    long, but is always the first thing to try with Cisco<->Sun problems.

    Ceri

    --
    Ceri Guest

  3. #3

    net (Ceri Davies) wrote in message news:<newscache$koh5mh$yo$private.submonkey.net>.. .

    Sorry, I DID forget to mention that I have forced all the interfaces
    in question to 100/Full beforehand. I've run into other trouble with
    that in the past, so that was one of the first things I
    double-checked.
    SkarTisu Guest