Professional Web Applications Themes

Intermittently stripey Hard Drive icon in OSX - Mac Applications & Software

I have noticed a strange bug in Mac OS X 10.1.6, on an iBook. Everything will be fine for some time. Then after some hours/days of having the machine running, often (but not always) after one or more sleep/wakeups, single- or double-clicking on the main desktop Hard Drive icon will cause it to change to a darker-grey version (as usual) but with one, two or three thick black horizonal bands across the icon. Often the icon does back to normal when it is deselected (so that it goes back to the lighter shade of grey), but after this behaviour has ...

  1. #1

    Default Intermittently stripey Hard Drive icon in OSX

    I have noticed a strange bug in Mac OS X 10.1.6, on an iBook.

    Everything will be fine for some time. Then after some hours/days of
    having the machine running, often (but not always) after one or more
    sleep/wakeups, single- or double-clicking on the main desktop Hard Drive
    icon will cause it to change to a darker-grey version (as usual) but
    with one, two or three thick black horizonal bands across the icon.
    Often the icon does back to normal when it is deselected (so that it
    goes back to the lighter shade of grey), but after this behaviour has
    been going on for some time, the lighter grey icon also gets corrupted
    in the same way. Later, the Hard Drive icon at the top of the Computer
    folder goes the same way. Also, the number or density of black
    horizontal bands can get worse and worse.

    Restarting puts things back to normal... for a while!

    Has anyone seen similar behaviour? Any educated guesses about the
    cause? And most importantly: Is there a cure? (please don't say upgrade
    to Jaguar or Panther - I'm intending to do that sometime soon anyway)

    I do not autoload OS9, and never use the iBook in Classic mode.

    Cheers,
    Vaughan
    Vaughan Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Intermittently stripey Hard Drive icon in OSX

    > Is there a cure? (please don't say upgrade
    mmfmfmf mf Jagmff om Panmff - they fix it. Annoying it was to me too. I'd
    wait for Panmff now though.

    PageNinja Guest

  3. #3

    PageNinja wrote: [/ref]
    <stuff deleted>
    > mmfmfmf mf Jagmff om Panmff - they fix it. Annoying it was to me too. I'd
    > wait for Panmff now though.[/ref]

    So does that mean you used to see the same on OSX 10.1? That would make
    me happy - at least in the sense that I'm not alone (at least didn't
    used to be until I was the last with 10.1).

    And you know for a fact that Jaguar fixes it? That would also make me
    happy.

    I guess no-one would actually have a cure in OSX 10.1 though?...

    Vaughan
    Vaughan Guest

  4. #4

    In article <bhrkiq$5e9$csx.cam.ac.uk>,
    Vaughan Wittorff <"vww20"(nospam)cam.ac.uk> wrote:
     [/ref]
    > <stuff deleted>
    > > mmfmfmf mf Jagmff om Panmff - they fix it. Annoying it was to me too. I'd
    > > wait for Panmff now though.[/ref]
    >
    > So does that mean you used to see the same on OSX 10.1? That would make
    > me happy - at least in the sense that I'm not alone (at least didn't
    > used to be until I was the last with 10.1).[/ref]

    This was a known bug in Mac OS X 10.1. Many people saw it, and it was
    discussed in this forum extensively.

    Jaguar fixes it.

    There is no cure in 10.1. However, this bug is entirely cosmetic, and
    is therefore harmless and can be safely ignored.

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    See http://www.atomicbird.com/

  5. #5

    In article <bhrh5r$30v$csx.cam.ac.uk>, Vaughan Wittorff <"vww20"(nospam)cam.ac.uk> wrote:

    You already have the answer. It's 10.1.x. You shouldn't have waited so long to upgrade the OS. :)
    Jason Guest

  6. #6

    Tom Harrington wrote:

    > This was a known bug in Mac OS X 10.1. Many people saw it, and it was
    > discussed in this forum extensively.[/ref]

    Okay, thanks, but I wouldn't know that since I'm a newcomer to this
    forum and the old threads have long gone...<quick check - actually not
    so quick>...Okay, I see that I should have gone to Groups on google, but
    it was *very* hard to find. After trial-and-error I found had to search
    on "10.1 hard drive icon lines" and only one relevant thread found. Can
    you suggest any easier way to check the archived collective memory?

    > There is no cure in 10.1. However, this bug is entirely cosmetic, and
    > is therefore harmless and can be safely ignored.[/ref]

    Good.
    Vaughan Guest

  7. #7

    Back in the days of System 3.2 (or something), I once got a call from a
    client who was freaking out about her folder that "had gone all spotty".
    In those days, an open folder changed it's icon to a folder with a
    regular pattern of black pixels - the overall effect was a primitive
    greyed-out look.

    She wanted to know if the spotty folder meant she had a virus.

    Meow
    Cat Guest

  8. #8

    In article <bhrl0e$5gv$csx.cam.ac.uk>,
    Vaughan Wittorff <"vww20"(nospam)cam.ac.uk> wrote:

    Yes. The groups were chartered for different purposes. If there
    were seventeen groups, one for each country, would you be cross-
    posting to all of them ?

    Simon Guest

  9. #9

    Simon Slavin wrote:

    > Yes. The groups were chartered for different purposes. If there
    > were seventeen groups, one for each country, would you be cross-
    > posting to all of them ?[/ref]

    My reasoning is that comp.sys.mac.system is the de facto international
    group; I have come from and will be returning to Australia (and bought
    the computer there), and am presently residing and working in the UK.

    Any suggestions Simon about which would be appropriate, and which not?
    I am open to any reasoning.
    Vaughan Guest

  10. #10

    In article <BB6B03B6966834E42C0.0.0.0>, Simon Slavin <demon.co.uklocalhost> wrote:

    > Yes. The groups were chartered for different purposes. If there
    > were seventeen groups, one for each country, would you be cross-
    > posting to all of them ?[/ref]

    Give the guy a break. 3 groups cross-posted is hardly a hanging offence :)
    Jason Guest

  11. #11

    Jason <net> wrote:

    Give Simon a break. He responded after the guy _asked_ whether his
    cross posting was appropriate.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    <http://www.macconsult.com>
    <http://bogart-tribute.net>
    Mike Guest

  12. #12

    In article <1g033sa.kl6sxkodni6uN%invalid>, Mike Rosenberg <invalid> wrote:

    > Give Simon a break. He responded after the guy _asked_ whether his
    > cross posting was appropriate.[/ref]

    Yeah, and look again at his response.
    Jason Guest

  13. #13

    In article <1g04zaf.1bfkjp11d238deN%invalid>, Mike Rosenberg <invalid> wrote:

    > > Yeah, and look again at his response.[/ref]
    >
    > Yeah, the guy asked if it was appropriate, Simon said it was not.
    > What's the problem?[/ref]

    He said more than that, and you know it.

    This is not Contradiction 101.
    Jason Guest

  14. #14

    Jason <net> wrote:

    > He said more than that, and you know it.[/ref]

    Here's exactly what I know. The entire exchange between Vaughan and
    Simon was:

    > Yes. The groups were chartered for different purposes. If there
    > were seventeen groups, one for each country, would you be cross-
    > posting to all of them ?[/ref]

    Vaughan asked his question, Simon responded he thought it was
    appropriate and explained why he felt that way. Were there other posts
    I missed? BTW, I also read Vaughan responding to Simon thusly:

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    <http://www.macconsult.com>
    <http://bogart-tribute.net>
    Mike Guest

  15. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Jason Guest
    Moderated Post

  16. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Mike Guest
    Moderated Post

  17. #17

    Mike Rosenberg <invalid> wrote:

    > I'm sorry, I specifically meant comp.sys.mac.system, not the other
    > groups. And I now know from Google that you're, indeed, the same guy.[/ref]

    And you, Mr Rosenberg, have a speicfifdc problem with anti smiteic.?
    damn it just doesnt' worke when youer rdrucnnk.

    --
    Pd
    PeterD Guest

  18. #18

    In article <1g05sk4.10w7655lco484N%invalid>, Mike Rosenberg <invalid> wrote:

    > I'm sorry, I specifically meant comp.sys.mac.system, not the other
    > groups. And I now know from Google that you're, indeed, the same guy.[/ref]

    I'm glad you took the effort to answer your own question.

    I said those things to offend 1 person, anyone else was simply collateral damage.
    Jason Guest

  19. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Vaughan Guest
    Moderated Post

  20. #20

    Vaughan Wittorff <ac.uk> wrote:

    Point well taken.

    Except I'm referring to something he said to Michelle Steiner last
    October and the posts that followed in that thread.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    <http://www.macconsult.com>
    <http://bogart-tribute.net>