Professional Web Applications Themes

International Characters - Coldfusion - Advanced Techniques

Hello to the Community. I have developed a web site that is managed by a CF5 based messages + translation system. On the same server there are both the site and the translation system. Each page of the site has been converted into a fixed structure plus a series of messages that have been stored into an Access database. Into the translation system, each professional translator recalls each phrase on the screen and enters the translation into a form which resides into a doent with its own ISO encodig and textarea characterization commands such as "lang" and "dir". The original ...

  1. #1

    Default International Characters

    Hello to the Community.
    I have developed a web site that is managed by a CF5 based messages +
    translation system.
    On the same server there are both the site and the translation system. Each
    page of the site has been converted into a fixed structure plus a series of
    messages that have been stored into an Access database.

    Into the translation system, each professional translator recalls each phrase
    on the screen and enters the translation into a form which resides into a
    doent with its own ISO encodig and textarea characterization commands such
    as "lang" and "dir".

    The original phrase is displayed into an ISO-8859-1 doent, while, for
    instance, a russian translation form is displayed into a ISO-8859-5 doent so
    that the translator may enter the translation as he would be using his original
    system.

    To cirvent the problem if storing international characters into the
    database I have written the memo fields with some URLEncodedFormat() texts.
    When I have to display the pages I read the translations and I URLDecode() them
    before putting them into the web paged to be displayed.

    All is working fine, but now I need to use the same database on some other CF
    systems, like a CFMX6 of a different ISP.
    When I try to read the translations all is messed up. All the international
    characters are wrong.
    I decoded all the messages in the database, and now I can see them clear. When
    I see them in the MS Access window all is fine, all the phrases are correct but
    when I use them trying to put the recors in the cfoutputs all is messed up.

    Can anybody help me to solve this problem ? How may I have to code the
    original messages ?
    Thanks in advance.

    Sergio

    SoftIDEA Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: International Characters

    you should be using unicode instead of individual codepages. i'm not sure what
    you have stored in your database, but the first step is to use cf5 to dump it
    all out. a cheap way is to use mx to call (cfhttp) a page on cf5 that simply
    dumps out the data, the mx page would grab all that data and re-insert it into
    access (using the access for unicode driver) as proper unicode.

    PaulH Guest

  3. #3

    Paul,

    thanks a lot. This was what I had in mind. The problem (further) is: which is
    the correct driver ? What I must ask to the ISP to check to have installed ?
    I also would like to install it on my local server for development.
    Can you help me again, please ?

    Thanks in advance

    Sergio

    SoftIDEA Guest

  4. #4

    if you're using access then "access for unicode" driver. for all the other dbs just use the standard JDBC driver for that database.

    btw this is for mx.
    PaulH Guest

  5. #5

    If you're using JET3.5 (MS Access 95 or 97), you should meet that
    encoding/decoding issue, since Access won't store any Codepage
    information in your database, so that your text data will be messed on
    another different Codepage machine. If you're using JET4.0 (MS Access
    2000, XP, and so on), your text data are stored as UNICODE stream so
    that you should get the correct UNICODE string in Java. If you get the
    wrong data still for JET4.0, maybe Sun's jdbc-odbc driver is lame, then
    you can try MS' jdbc-odbc driver. If your issue still exists, maybe you
    need to consider to use HXTT Access([url]www.hxtt.net[/url]), a Pure Java driver,
    which can maintain MS Access database on Linux.

    Dai Wei Guest