Professional Web Applications Themes

internet access dilemma - newbie question - Mac Networking

I'm a little ignorant about networking and the workings of the internet, so keep in mind I'm a newbie. Throwing caution to the wind, I'm going to admit that I'm posting from the PRC. I'm in NE Asia. Here is some background information: It's common knowledge around here that foreigners' mail and phone calls are monitored. It's also common knowledge that any internet activity is monitored. I don't know how. Anyway, I've encountered random difficulties in the past, such as being unable to access various websites (including my web mail) at certain net bars for a few months, then suddenly ...

  1. #1

    Default internet access dilemma - newbie question

    I'm a little ignorant about networking and the workings of
    the internet, so keep in mind I'm a newbie.

    Throwing caution to the wind, I'm going to admit that I'm
    posting from the PRC. I'm in NE Asia. Here is some
    background information:

    It's common knowledge around here that foreigners' mail and
    phone calls are monitored. It's also common knowledge that
    any internet activity is monitored. I don't know how.

    Anyway, I've encountered random difficulties in the past,
    such as being unable to access various websites (including
    my web mail) at certain net bars for a few months, then
    suddenly being able to do so again. Now that I'm borrowing
    my dad's powerbook I'm not frequenting the net bars, and
    using one broadband provider at home, and a different one at
    the office. Used to be that at home I couldn't use ping or
    ftp, who knows what other ports were unavailable, those were
    the only ones I tried. Telnet and ssh worked though.

    Things are starting to get really annoying though. Last
    week was a national holiday so I was home all week, and had
    no internet access at all, so I thought, because although I
    could connect, I couldn't *do* anything -- no web pages, my
    imap e-mail, nntp, telnet. Strangely enough, I could access
    some things at the net bar, just as before. I tried to
    complain to my ISP with my very inadequate Mandarin, and
    ended up finding out that I actually could access ".cn"
    websites, but nothing else. They told me that there was a
    virus, and it would be fixed on May 9th (I believed the
    date, but not the explanation). Sure enough, I'm back
    online, and now I can suddenly use ftp, but not ping. Plus,
    Apple's website is blocked now. If I use AOL, I can open
    any web page, and use ftp, but AOL is completely lousy, it's
    not a pleasant solution.

    Now my boss is complaining that suddenly he can't get to his
    (US) bank's website. Unfortunately, I'm the most
    computer-knowledgeable person in our company, which isn't
    saying much (everyone uses PCs too) and I'm expected to put
    up our web pages soon. It would sure be nice to use ftp
    reliably.

    I see this as some kind of tampering by the powers that be.
    Is there anything I can do to work around this? A side
    benefit would be having more privacy in my e-mail.

    --
    Huan
    Huan Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: internet access dilemma - newbie question

    In article <de>,
    Huan the hound <net> wrote:

    That's pretty much the state of things. China blocks the world to
    censor opinions. The rest of the world blocks China for their
    uncontrolled network abuse. I don't see the situation changing any time
    soon.

    See if you can buy encrypted packet tunneling of some sort. That way
    you'll only need to be able to reach one foreign IP address on one port
    to get full internet access. It's probably illegal.
    Kevin Guest

  3. #3

    In article <de>, Huan the hound
    <net> wrote:

    You're in a totalitarian state that controls what people can and can't
    see, has virtually no regard for human rights, are involved in commerce
    there, you're looking for ways to bypass state censorship and you're
    asking in a very public forum for help doing that?

    Wow. You've got balls, I'll give you that.

    Why not suggest to your boss that finding the right person to bribe
    might be a simpler solution?

    djb
    Dave Guest

  4. #4

    Dave Balderstone wrote:

    > You're in a totalitarian state that controls what people can and can't
    > see, has virtually no regard for human rights, are involved in commerce
    > there, you're looking for ways to bypass state censorship and you're
    > asking in a very public forum for help doing that?[/ref]

    I agree that PRC has wreaked havoc with their Internet, but
    this guy is posting from news.uni-berlin.de. So he is either in
    Germany, or somebody gave him an username/password for
    news.uni-berlin.de, which means he has some access to outside
    servers already. In which case he can just anonymise himself on
    yahoo or hotmail like the rest of them do, even if he's in Germany.

    Let's face it, if yahoo stonewalls over hosting Neo-Nazi or Al Qaeda
    websites, they're also gonna stonewall if PRC spooks try to weasel
    their way into yahoo accounts.
    George Guest