Professional Web Applications Themes

internetting without being logged on - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hi, I want to prepare a workstation with Linux of SuSe v7.3 and want to use it as a dedicated internet station for the public. So I'd like to start automaticly with for example Mozilla without being prompted with logging on to the network or station. I've tried to do this by adding mozilla in the /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xsetup file. The webbrowser will start, but then i can not type in the URL, the keyboard is not accesible then. And when this is done can I then print to a printer connected to a windows computer with a shared printer. Who could ...

  1. #1

    Default internetting without being logged on

    Hi,

    I want to prepare a workstation with Linux of SuSe v7.3 and want to use it
    as a dedicated internet station for the public. So I'd like to start
    automaticly with for example Mozilla without being prompted with logging on
    to the network or station. I've tried to do this by adding mozilla in the
    /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xsetup file. The webbrowser will start, but then i can not
    type in the URL, the keyboard is not accesible then. And when this is done
    can I then print to a printer connected to a windows computer with a shared
    printer.

    Who could give me the solution?

    Thanks and best regards
    Hassan

    aliboemboem Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: internetting without being logged on

    aliboemboem wrote:
    > I want to prepare a workstation with Linux of SuSe v7.3 and want to use it
    > as a dedicated internet station for the public. So I'd like to start
    > automaticly with for example Mozilla without being prompted with logging
    > on to the network or station. I've tried to do this by adding mozilla in
    > the /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xsetup file. The webbrowser will start, but then i
    > can not type in the URL, the keyboard is not accesible then. And when this
    > is done can I then print to a printer connected to a windows computer with
    > a shared printer.
    i don't have a solution, but a warning: Mozilla (at least all versions i've
    used) have a nasty bug which you may run into. If you start Mozilla while
    offline, it cannot resolve domain names after you go online. The problem
    appears to be that it looks, at startup, to see if you're online. If you
    aren't then it decides it will never try to resolve domains. The only
    workaround i know of is to restart mozilla after going online.

    --
    ----- stephan beal
    Registered Linux User #71917 [url]http://counter.li.org[/url]

    stephan beal Guest

  3. #3

    In comp.os.linux.setup aliboemboem <boemboemzonnet.nl> wrote:
    > automaticly with for example Mozilla without being prompted with logging on
    > to the network or station.
    You need to install autologin, then you can specify which user to use
    to login in automatic. Put mozilla in the startup and your'e done.
    > can I then print to a printer connected to a windows computer with a shared
    > printer.
    Use Samba to configure the printer.

    Davide
    davide@yahoo.com Guest