Professional Web Applications Themes

Introducing myself and my interest in ruby - Ruby

This is just a note introducing myself to the list, and explaining what I hope to get from the list. I'm a software systems engineer at Georgia State University. That basically translates to Unix Systems Administrator, though my specialty is programming systems utilities. We run Solaris. Most of my scripts are written in perl, I have one pretty large scale project I wrote and maintain in php, and for the forseeable future I'll probably still be primarily working in perl (most of the people in our group know at least a little perl, so if I'm not available the code ...

  1. #1

    Default Introducing myself and my interest in ruby

    This is just a note introducing myself to the list, and
    explaining what I hope to get from the list.

    I'm a software systems engineer at Georgia State University.
    That basically translates to Unix Systems Administrator, though
    my specialty is programming systems utilities. We run Solaris.

    Most of my scripts are written in perl, I have one pretty large
    scale project I wrote and maintain in php, and for the forseeable
    future I'll probably still be primarily working in perl (most of
    the people in our group know at least a little perl, so if I'm
    not available the code is not inaccessable to my workgroup).

    About a year ago I began looking at ruby, really liked it. It seemed
    clean, easy to read, and had all the usual capabilities which attracted
    me to perl to begin with. I didn't pursue it at the time because perl
    was adequate for my needs. About two weeks ago I started dabbling in ruby
    again, and have decided to write those utilities not likely to be
    maintained by anyone else (in other words scripts for my own use)
    in ruby so I'll get a more rounded experience in the language.

    The typical script I'll be writing is the usual administrators utility
    where one opens a file (including program output in that category) loops
    through the file a line at a time doing regex matches, and does appropriate
    stuff based on those matches.

    I look forward to browsing this list and asking questions from time to
    time. ruby strikes me as a very good scripting language.

    Larry

    Larry Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Introducing myself and my interest in ruby

    On Sat, 21 Feb 2004, Larry Felton Johnson wrote:

    howdy

    this is how i started. after three days i gave up perl altogether. after a
    week i gave up c++ altogether. after a month or two i gave up c except to
    write ruby extensions. after a few more months i gave up idl for image
    processing and use classes i wrote using mmap that are simpler and faster.

    don't limit yourself to scripting tasks! i'm currenlty designing an entire
    near-realtime satelite image processing system in ruby!

    hope you'll find the group useful - it's full of really bright and helpful
    people

    -a
    | PHONE :: 303.497.6469
    | URL :: http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/stp/
    | TRY :: for l in ruby perl;do $l -e "print \"\x3a\x2d\x29\x0a\"";done

    Ara.T.Howard Guest

  3. #3

    Larry Felton Johnson wrote:

    Welcome aboard! Ruby should be more than capable for the kinds of system
    administration tasks you described.

    If you weren't already aware of it, the http://ruby-doc.org web site
    does a good job of organizing various doentation resources for Ruby.
    And of course you can always ask questions on the list.
    Lyle Guest

  4. #4

    On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 09:28:42 -0700, Ara.T.Howard wrote:

    > howdy
    >[/ref]

    Yes, welcome to Ruby.

    [snip]

    Almost the same story here. After being using C++ for many years, I now
    use Ruby for everything. I think/hope I have become a better programmer,
    because of several things:
    * I have become more productive.. the compile-step is gone.
    * Ruby is more readable than c++.. I can quicker navigate through the code.
    * there is shorter from thought to implementation.. because of less typing.
    * what is dirty in C++, can be implemented really nice in Ruby.
    * irb.. instant feedback is great.
    * test-first development.

    --
    Simon Strandgaard

    reminder for myself: Simon, its time to switch from gnu-Make to ruby-Rake!
    Simon Guest

  5. #5

    Ara.T.Howard wrote:

    Ara,

    That's pretty cool. What can you tell us about this without
    violating some kind of confidentiality policy? :)

    Also, there's a "real world Ruby" page in the wiki somewhere.
    This might make a nice addition.

    Hal

    Hal Guest

  6. #6

    On Sat, 21 Feb 2004, Hal Fulton wrote:

    > Ara,
    >
    > That's pretty cool. What can you tell us about this without violating some
    > kind of confidentiality policy? :)[/ref]

    ha! check out the url in my sig for general info...

    i can't elaborate much at the moment as i'm slammed with a deadline but the
    _design_ so far is:

    - various job classes utilizing image processing classes that use guy's mmap
    module (considering some stuff using narray). our algorithims are all
    custom so no packaged lib would work. eg. we aren't doing an normal image
    ops - we go through pixels and scanlines applying custom algorithims to
    them to detect stuff (nighttime lights of the world). this is the
    scientist's bag - i avoid it and consider only values 0-255 and issues of
    massive i/o. typical files are 100mb each and explode into about 1.5 GB
    out output. we currently have programs that _require_ 2.5mb of ram. it's
    absolutely ridiculous..

    - an entire system built around sge (sun grid engine) and seriously heavy
    duty netapps and mass storage units - lots of data

    essentially we process incoming satelite data and archive it. in addition
    certain clients subscribe to have us do custom data processing/delivery for
    them. the current system - isn't - it's a massive pile of scripts that call
    scripts that call scripts...

    1024.times{ puts "scripts that call scripts" }

    i jest not.

    the central problems are

    - the processing is the 'science'. eg. it changes almost daily
    - the volumes of data and cpu requirements present all sorts of challenges
    - setting a 'subscription' (custom processing for a customer) requires a
    ground-up approach. there is _zero_ reusable code currently
    - the logging is non-existent
    - we can't use a database (politics)
    - our sysads are horrible

    my current work has been

    - figure out a persistence strategy. i wanted to use pstore for alot of it
    but couldn't since it didn't support locking over nfs. see

    http://raa.ruby-lang.org/list.rhtml?name=posixlock

    - configurable work flows see

    http://raa.ruby-lang.org/list.rhtml?name=flow

    - controlling various external process (idl, c program, fortran, etc) in a
    way that allows fine control over output see

    http://raa.ruby-lang.org/list.rhtml?name=session

    - quite a few in-house packages to deal with various data formats and do
    various calculations see

    http://www.codeforpeople.com/lib/ruby/dmsp/
    http://www.codeforpeople.com/lib/ruby/envi/
    http://www.codeforpeople.com/lib/ruby/solpos/
    http://www.codeforpeople.com/lib/ruby/stpjob/

    all the above is a literal snapshot of what i'm doing - as is normal around
    here i haven't had much time for docs... sorry.

    at the exact moment i'm working on a configurable set of jobs that generates
    fire products using nighttime satelite imagery. it's basically a testbed for
    what the near-realtime system might be but i am still very much in the
    'enumerate the problem hotspots and check them off' phase. i still haven't
    been able to check them all off so my 'design' ( a strong term ) is very much
    in flux - suggestions (espcially in form of solved.tar.gz) are welcome! ;-)

    a year ago i designed a bi-temporal database emulator (ruby classes) and a web
    interface to it. that system was almost all ruby and is in production here
    are noaa. see

    http://www.fsl.noaa.gov/publications/forum/feb2003/2_03_MMeta.html
    http://raa.ruby-lang.org/list.rhtml?name=btpgsql

    and specifically

    http://www.codeforpeople.com/lib/ruby/btpgsql/btpgsql-0.2.4/doc/

    for quite a long discussion of the database part. the web interface is,
    unfortunately, viewable only from the intranet. it's based on fastcgi and
    postgresql though.

    when time allows...

    back to work...

    cheers.

    -a

  7. #7

    Ara.T.Howard wrote:

> [...]
    > what the near-realtime system might be but i am still very much in the
    > 'enumerate the problem hotspots and check them off' phase. i still haven't
    > been able to check them all off so my 'design' ( a strong term ) is very much
    > in flux - suggestions (espcially in form of solved.tar.gz) are welcome! ;-)
    >

    > a year ago i designed a bi-temporal database emulator (ruby classes) and a web
    > interface to it. that system was almost all ruby and is in production here
    > are noaa. see
    >
    > http://www.fsl.noaa.gov/publications/forum/feb2003/2_03_MMeta.html
    > http://raa.ruby-lang.org/list.rhtml?name=btpgsql
    >
    > and specifically
    >
    > http://www.codeforpeople.com/lib/ruby/btpgsql/btpgsql-0.2.4/doc/
    >
    > for quite a long discussion of the database part. the web interface is,
    > unfortunately, viewable only from the intranet. it's based on fastcgi and

    I didn't understand half of it. But that is what makes it way cool! :-)
    Robert Guest