Professional Web Applications Themes

Invalid color: colored pattern specified withuncolored pattern colorspace. - Adobe Acrobat Macintosh

Hi. Just installed Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger and note the following message flooding the system.log when using Acrobat Pro version 7.0.1. Apr 30 19:42:00 PowerMac /Applications/Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Professional/Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Professional.app/Contents/MacOS/Acrobat: Invalid color: colored pattern specified with uncolored pattern colorspace. No PDFs need be opened for the system.log to flood with these messages. Simply switching into Acrobat Pro causes another slew of the message to be written to the log. Can anyone reproduce this? On Mac OS X, to open the system.log, launch Console (in the Applications > Utilities folder), then select File > Open System Log. I've ...

  1. #1

    Default Invalid color: colored pattern specified withuncolored pattern colorspace.

    Hi.

    Just installed Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger and note the following message flooding the system.log when using Acrobat Pro version 7.0.1.

    Apr 30 19:42:00 PowerMac /Applications/Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Professional/Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Professional.app/Contents/MacOS/Acrobat: Invalid color: colored pattern specified with uncolored pattern colorspace.

    No PDFs need be opened for the system.log to flood with these messages. Simply switching into Acrobat Pro causes another slew of the message to be written to the log.

    Can anyone reproduce this?

    On Mac OS X, to open the system.log, launch Console (in the Applications > Utilities folder), then select File > Open System Log.

    I've tried turning off Color Management in Acrobat > Preferences > Color Management, but that does not help.

    May be a compatibility issue with Acrobat 7 Pro under Tiger.

    Any confirmations appreciated. Thanks!

    ;-) Doc
    Dr. Smoke Guest

  2. #2

    Does this affect your working of Acrobat?

    Jon

    PS - I was told many years ago to sometimes not worry about everything I
    do not understand ;-)
    Jon_Bessant@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Hi, Jon.

    It does not appear to affect the function of Acrobat, but you would not want a message like this filling the system.log file since eventually that will chew up some disk space. Repeating messages like this can cause log files to grow quite large in the course of a day.

    While I have plenty of free disk space and regularly run the Mac OS X maintenance scripts, this could cause problems for someone with limited free disk space.

    I've posted this message looking for confirmation of the same result from other users of Tiger and Acrobat 7 Pro. I'd like to hear from others before I file what I think may be a bug report with Adobe.

    You wrote:

    "PS - I was told many years ago to sometimes not worry about everything
    I do not understand"

    You were misinformed. ;-)

    ;-) Doc
    Dr. Smoke Guest

  4. #4

    OK - but don't hold your breath whilst other users upgrading to Tiger
    monitor their system logs. These reports are trimmed back over time (by
    the OS) and so will not impinge on your system too much (megabytes
    versus gigabytes).

    There does seem to be a PDF colour-space mis-match - but with what?
    Tiger (as we know) is about 32 hours old ... maybe in 32 days we will
    see ... good for your diagnostic ysis though.

    Anyway - about the mis-information - maybe you could enlighten me about
    everything I don't know? ;-)

    Jon
    Jon_Bessant@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    You wrote:

    "These reports are trimmed back over time (by the OS) and so will not
    impinge on your system too much (megabytes versus gigabytes)."

    You're preaching to the choir here. I should have probably used the signature line here that I use when I post on the Apple Discussions. I write books about Mac OS X. ;-)

    Again, my post here is not looking for help per-se, merely looking to see if other Acrobat 7 Pro users who have also upgraded to Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger™ are seeing the same message in system.log that I am seeing. If there was some confirmation of this, then I'd feel it was appropriate to file a bug report.

    You wrote:

    "Anyway - about the mis-information - maybe you could enlighten me about
    everything I don't know?"

    Sure. For a very large fee, paid in advance, in cash, and in US Dollars. ;-)

    Good luck!

    ;-) Dr. Smoke
    Author: Troubleshooting Mac® OS X
    Dr. Smoke Guest

  6. #6

    Did you fix permissions after installing OS X.4? Also, I found it
    helpful to have Acrobat detect and fix problems. After all, it will at
    least have to fix the problem with the safari browser and the acrobat
    plug-in.

    Mike
    MikeKazlow@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Hi, Mike.

    You wrote:

    "Did you fix permissions after installing OS X.4?"

    Of course. :-)

    You wrote:

    "Also, I found it helpful to have Acrobat detect and fix problems. After
    all, it will at least have to fix the problem with the safari browser
    and the acrobat plug-in."

    I don't use Safari, I use OmniWeb <http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omniweb/>, but I tried the Help > Detect and Repair option just for fun and it made no difference. I did not expect it would.

    Are you running Tiger and Acrobat Pro 7.0.1?

    Good luck!

    ;-) Dr. Smoke
    Author: Troubleshooting Mac® OS X
    Dr. Smoke Guest

  8. #8

    Yes Tiger and Acrobat Pro 7.0.1. No problems as of yet, except what I
    expected, my Cisco VPN Client doesn't work.

  9. #9

    Hi, Mike.

    The issue I reported is not a problem, per-se, i.e. it does not affect Acrobat Pro 7.0.1 stability, but it does flood the Mac OS X system.log with messages. As I noted earlier, this can be an issue for folks with limited free disk space.

    Have you checked your system.log? See my earlier post in this thread for instructions.

    PS: I've had independent confirmation of this from another user of Acrobat Pro 7.0.1 and Tiger.

    Good luck!

    ;-) Dr. Smoke
    Author: Troubleshooting Mac® OS X
    Dr. Smoke Guest

  10. #10

    I can reproduce what you are seeing. I recommend you file a bug report.

    <http://www.adobe.com/misc/bugreport.html>

    I'll do the same.

  11. #11

    Hi, Mike.

    Many thanks. You're now the third person to see this, including another friend and myself. Excellent. We'll all file bug reports.

    Good luck!

    ;-) Dr. Smoke
    Author: Troubleshooting Mac® OS X
    Dr. Smoke Guest

  12. #12

    Yes - I now see this appearing in the system.log whilst Acrobat is
    running ..

    Jon
    Jon_Bessant@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Jumping on the bandwagon ~ I too, see this message repeated in the system log. I can file a bug, too, but it would definitely help to "pile on".
    Mary@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    BTW... Acrobat doesn't even have to be launched. Apparently, its mere presence is enough to cause the message to repeat.
    Mary@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    Here are the details from two sections of the bug report <http://www.adobe.com/misc/bugreport.html> I filed. Feel free to use these for the "Concise problem statement" and "Bug Description" sections of your bug reports.

    Concise problem statement *

    Launching or using Acrobat Pro version 7.0.1 under Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger floods the system.log file with thousands upon thousands of instances of the following message:

    Apr 30 19:42:00 PowerMac /Applications/Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Professional/Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Professional.app/Contents/MacOS/Acrobat: Invalid color: colored pattern specified with uncolored pattern colorspace.

    No PDFs need be opened for the system.log to flood with these messages. Simply launching or switching into Acrobat Pro causes a slew of this message to be written to the system.log file.

    Bug Description

    Steps to reproduce bug:

    1. Install Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger and Acrobat Pro 7.0.1.

    2. Open the Mac OS X system.log file: launch Console (in the Applications > Utilities folder), then select File > Open System Log.

    3. Launch Acrobat Pro 7.0.1. It is not necessary to open a PDF file, simply launch the application.

    4. Check the system.log file opened in Step 2.

    Results:

    The system.log is flooded with thousands of instances of the following message:

    May 2 06:16:34 PM-G4-D500 /Applications/Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Professional/Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Professional.app/Contents/MacOS/Acrobat: Invalid color: colored pattern specified with uncolored pattern colorspace.

    Example (just a few of thousands of these messages written from launching Acrobat 7.0.1 Pro under Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger:

    May 2 06:16:34 PM-G4-D500 /Applications/Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Professional/Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Professional.app/Contents/MacOS/Acrobat: Invalid color: colored pattern specified with uncolored pattern colorspace.
    May 2 06:16:38 PM-G4-D500 /Applications/Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Professional/Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Professional.app/Contents/MacOS/Acrobat: Invalid color: colored pattern specified with uncolored pattern colorspace.
    May 2 06:16:38 PM-G4-D500 /Applications/Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Professional/Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Professional.app/Contents/MacOS/Acrobat: Invalid color: colored pattern specified with uncolored pattern colorspace.

    Expected results:

    No messages of this type should be written to the system.log

    Additional Notes:

    - If you open a PDF -- any PDF -- the messages continue. But opening a PDF is unnecessary to cause the problem.

    - Most actions performed in Acrobat Pro 7.0.1 under Tiger , whether or not a PDF is opened, flood the system.log file with these messages.

    - If you switch to another application, the messages stop. Switch back to Acrobat Pro 7.0.1 and the messages begin again.

    - The system.log file will grow to be very large if Acrobat Pro 7.0.1 is used for a few hours under Tiger.

    - Disabling Color Management in Acrobat preferences does not help.

    - ColorSync's ProfileAid was run to assure no corrupted or incompatible profiles were on the system.

    - See the following thread on your Acrobat Mac Forum for additional user reports of this problem:

    <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?128.3bba3173>
    Dr. Smoke Guest

  16. #16

    Hi, Mary.

    You wrote:

    "Acrobat doesn't even have to be launched. Apparently, its mere presence
    is enough to cause the message to repeat."

    I'm not seeing that.

    - If I launch Acrobat 7.0.1 Pro, the system.log is flooded with the message cited in my original post. The messages do not appear until Acrobat Pro 7.0.1 is launched under Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger.

    - If I take actions in Acrobat, the system.log continues to be flooded with instances of this message.

    - No PDFs need be open in Acrobat for this to happen.

    - Switching to another application, i.e. via the Dock or Command-Tab, stops the messages.

    - Switching back to Acrobat causes another flood of the message in the system.log.

    - Quitting Acrobat also stops the messages.

    Good luck!

    ;-) Dr. Smoke
    Author: Troubleshooting Mac® OS X
    Dr. Smoke Guest

  17. #17

    Dr. Smoke,
    I stand corrected. You are right; the application must be launched (of course!). After I launch Acrobat, when I go into the System log, I see the flood of messages, then no more are added until I focus on another app and then click back onto Acrobat. And you are also correct that a PDF does not need to be open for this issue to occur.
    Mary@adobeforums.com Guest

  18. #18

    Hi, Mary.

    No problem. ;-)

    Another issue that arises from this Acrobat 7.x Pro problem is that there is another log which fills up: /var/log/asl.log .

    The asl.log is a new log with Tiger's introduction of Apple System Logging <http://developer.apple.com/doentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man3/asl.3.html>.

    The asl.logis pruned regularly by the daily CRON script, but if you are using Acrobat 7.x Pro under Tiger, the log can still grow to a considerable size each day and will contain a least a 7 days worth of these messages. Just an hour or so of using Acrobat 7.x Pro under Tiger and this log will grow to several megabytes in size. It appears every action you perform in Acrobat adds several hundred lines to asl.log, system.log, and sometimes console.log, even if no PDFs are open.

    The asl.log can be pruned to virtually nothing on demand using the syslog <http://developer.apple.com/doentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man1/syslog.1.html#//apple_ref/doc/man/1/syslog> command in Terminal. For example:

    sudo syslog -p -k Time lt -1h

    removes all messages from the log that are older than one hour. As with all sudo commands, one must be careful to type them properly as you're executing the command with root privileges. You'll also be prompted for your Admin password.

    The Acrobat "message flooding" is a potentially serious problem. Users whose Macs are asleep or shutdown overnight and who don't regular run the CRON scripts manually (see my "Running Mac OS X Maintenance Scripts" <http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/maintscripts.html> FAQ) will lose a great deal of space on their hard drives to these logs if they are heavy users of Acrobat 7 under Tiger. If they are already short on free hard drive space, this could lead to serious slow-downs or kernel panics: see my "Problems from insufficient RAM and free hard disk space" <http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/lackofram.html> FAQ.

    I hope Adobe quickly publishes an update for Acrobat Pro 7.x (I suspect the same problem happens under Acrobat Standard 7.x) to address this issue.

    Good luck!

    ;-) Dr. Smoke
    Author: Troubleshooting Mac® OS X
    Dr. Smoke Guest

  19. #19

    Jon bessant asked does it affect the use of Acrobat? In April Thread.
    Actually it does. On my Computer a 17" PowerBook with 2 Gb System RAm and 1.67 Ghz speed. Acrobat takes a longer time to open than it should sometimes when you click on a menu to select a menu item. The spinning Beach abll appears. At 1.67 GHZ and 2 GB system RAM Acrobat should literally pop on the screen and there should be no hesitation what so ever. The machine is only about 3 months old and there is only Acrobat , Filemaker 7, MS Office2004, and Macromedia Dreamweaver. I have a couple of small system utilities I have to open up to use and NO Virus program.

    So it does atleast for me affect Acrobat.

    This occurs whether Acrobat has been open all the time and switch back and forth. Or whether just opened
    pjonesCET@adobeforums.com Guest

  20. #20

    This also happens on acrobat 6 under tiger 10.4.1. I hope that Adobe updates it, as well as Acrobat 7.

    Peter
    peter_long@adobeforums.com Guest

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast